How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
River Colne today, which was up and coloured, looking good.

A1207540-56C0-4E52-B1E8-19417CED64C0.jpeg

Started around 9:30 with stick float and maggot. It was bite a Chuck from the off. Constantly feeding loose maggots really got them lined up. Then a pike started grabbing the better fish. After 3 attempts to land it, I did.

24567DD6-1624-4BAA-9ED3-CDAEE9600DA7.jpeg

Around lunchtime I got a text from Rob, he was over the road on the backwater I fished recently. He came along to see me for a while..
By 3 I was feeling like last cast time, but as the light faded it just got better and better. Chunky roach came on the feed, this one around 14oz...

D8A280D3-D566-46AB-8C69-96D8DD418A57.jpeg

Ended up staying until 5....

55C9E789-6266-4C5B-88E6-1B0CDDEE490B.jpeg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The river was 4 or 5ft up today. I firstly tried to float but couldn't make it work very well for various reasons so went on the lead, a straight through arsely weight with a 6inch tail seemed to work. Fishing against the natural bank hard on the bottom I had 3 clonking bites watching the rod tip but did not hook the fish, I am pretty sure these were chub as this is where I had my big one a couple of weeks ago. I changed swim and went 500 yds. further down the other side of the bridge where the river widens a bit looking for roach; I have always fancied a 2lber from here. Stuck with the lead and had 5 roach and a lot of missed bites all in the natural bank line.
Brown sliced Hovis bread sausage rolled into quite long thin baits 1 to 3 inch around the line leaving a bit of fluffy bread one end where the hook was pulled up to. I squeezed the rest of the bread quite hard on the line, this seemed to stay on the hook the longest in the water and did hook some fish. very rare I fish the lead so had to think about hitting bites differently but holding the rod was best. I needed bigger hooks realy than the 14 I was using for this type of fishing but had run out, must get some more hooks.
The pictured roach was the biggest however, no 2lber but nice fish in good condition.
In the supermarket I noticed a packet of organic black beans in water for 85p so bought some just to see what they were like, fairly soft but selected beans stayed on the hook well enough the rest got thrown in and probably dispersed quite quickly and the little I tried them on the hook I had not one bite; hardly a good try out but I noticed one thing, these looked a bit like large hemp, I will try them again when the conditions are a bit more conducive for an experiment probably with some hemp.
Few birds, just a Kestrel far off and a Buzzard near the bus stop on the way home but enjoyed the day, breezy but warm and no forecasted rain shower. Just two flat-boards today, a couple of big commando looking types with tattoos but they didn't pass me, they turned back about 50yds from me so I did not have to beat them up.
100_0533.JPG
100_0535.JPG
100_0536.JPG

Last edited:

Reaction score
Next week i'm on the D.Stour,I will blank with aplomb and get blown away and soaked to boot,so you are not alone John....

Reaction score
The river was 4 or 5ft up today. I firstly tried to float but couldn't make it work very well for various reasons so went on the lead, a straight through arsely weight with a 6inch tail seemed to work. Fishing against the natural bank hard on the bottom I had 3 clonking bites watching the rod tip but did not hook the fish, I am pretty sure these were chub as this is where I had my big one a couple of weeks ago. I changed swim and went 500 yds. further down the other side of the bridge where the river widens a bit looking for roach; I have always fancied a 2lber from here. Stuck with the lead and had 5 roach and a lot of missed bites all in the natural bank line.
Brown sliced Hovis bread sausage rolled into quite long thin baits 1 to 3 inch around the line leaving a bit of fluffy bread one end where the hook was pulled up to. I squeezed the rest of the bread quite hard on the line, this seemed to stay on the hook the longest in the water and did hook some fish. very rare I fish the lead so had to think about hitting bites differently but holding the rod was best. I needed bigger hooks realy than the 14 I was using for this type of fishing but had run out, must get some more hooks. View attachment 11172View attachment 11173View attachment 11174The pictured roach was the biggest however, no 2lber but nice fish in good condition.
In the supermarket I noticed a packet of organic black beans in water for 85p so bought some just to see what they were like, fairly soft but selected beans stayed on the hook well enough the rest got thrown in and probably dispersed quite quickly and the little I tried them on the hook I had not one bite; hardly a good try out but I noticed one thing, these looked a bit like large hemp, I will try them again when the conditions are a bit more conducive for an experiment probably with some hemp.
Few birds, just a Kestrel far off and a Buzzard near the bus stop on the way home but enjoyed the day, breezy but warm and no forecasted rain shower. Just two flat-boards today, a couple of big commando looking types with tattoos but they didn't pass me, they turned back about 50yds from me so I did not have to beat them up.

What,no paddle boarders,bloody lightweights!!!

seth49

Reaction score
Back on carp lake yesterday with Neil, mick had a hospital appointment so couldn’t make it, managed to get my favourite swim in the corner again, only us two fishing until the bailiff came to fish later.

Now the main thing today was to try my new pole out, I’ve got the 10 metre Preston edge monster, with Preston Dura slip elastic size 13, fed a few 2 mm pellets in the corner, also put a margin rod in the right hand margin, with a method feeder on with a chocolate orange wafter and soaked pellets.

Started fishing at ten thirty, very quiet at first, but the carp don’t usually turn up in the margins till 3 pm or so, had my first bite at around 2 pm so a bit earlier today, pole handled it well, it and the elastic worked well together, and I felt more in control than with my old pole, this weighed 10 lb 14 oz, a common as well so gave a good scrap.

I finished with four carp on the pole, the other three a bit smaller, pole handled them well, I’m pleased with it, just lost one carp but I think it was foul hooked, also got one on the margin rod last thing, a nice mirror of 13 lbs 8 oz, so a good first day for my new pole, pleased with it.

My two best fish, no scenic shot today as I was in the same peg as last time.
C67599A1-18CB-4F50-8CE5-77B388EB2687.jpeg
3B815934-B9FC-4CBA-B83C-0EC1504F82FA.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Mark try maple peas or black'peas as we call them up here. We eat them around bonfire night as they are delicious just served with malt vinegar and pepper. Buy them dried and soak overnight. The flask method works well. If the fish don't like em you will. They can be hair rigged too.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark try maple peas or black'peas as we call them up here. We eat them around bonfire night as they are delicious just served with malt vinegar and pepper. Buy them dried and soak overnight. The flask method works well. If the fish don't like em you will. They can be hair rigged too.
Never tried them Mike to eat or fish with, I will look out for them. Those organic black beans in water from Sainsburys looked the ticket as well, about the size of a small pea but black and shiny, thinking hemp. I will have look for those, thanks.

mikench

Reaction score
They are also called Carlin peas. They are truly delicious to eat and very good for you. The fish like them too so an added bonus.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a couple of hours trotting today, temp's were around 10 degrees but it felt much colder due to there being a strong wind, which was accompanied with showers!
Anyhow, I had a few chub, nothing of any size, but, they were better than a kick in't crotch ?....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just back from a day on the Ouse with the BF and Clarkey. Drove there in torrential ( unforecast) rain which fortunately stopped just as we arrived. By the time we'd found the river and walked a few swims the sun was out and it was a glorious autumn day. River was up, a bit coloured and had a lot of pace on it but fortunately the twists,turns and trees made our bank quite interesting with deep ( clean) slacks and a terrific seam.

I was into fish immediately on double red ( dace,roach,gudgeon) but as the morning wore on the fish seemed to get smaller. Phil was pestered by micro dace and after an early chub of about 10oz Clarkey boy couldn't buy a bite. We met back at the cars about midday for tea and a council of war. I was still getting fish....mostly roach now and a bit bigger with the odd one on tare but they never really got going on those. Clarkey was picking up the odd fish and had tried every bait he'd brought....inc sweetcorn. I was going to try that next but as Ray had already opened his tin it seemed rude not to nick some of his. I'm glad I did too.

I fished corn over hemp all afternoon, was into fish of a better stamp immediately and they kept coming. No monsters but several around the 8-10 oz mark. Phil had a purple patch in the afternoon too,finally getting a few roach and some chublets and Ray had a few fish too after dropping down a swim. Funnily enough despite a lovely seam I had most of my fish from the nearside slack which was 8-9 ft deep.

I probably had the most fish and of the more consistent size. I'd guess my catch at 14-15lb of mostly roach but in there too were some gudgeon,the smallest skimmer I've ever caught,half a dozen perch and a solitary ruffe...my first for about 25-30 years.

River up and down all day due to the sluices a mile or two upstream which made it a bit challenging but, given that, I think we did pretty well. Good to have a trot for a change and great to see Ray again. Good day in great company....we'll definately go back.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I fished the Grand Union Canal at Southall yesterday. I have been taking my youngest son there regularly. He takes about three hours and rather than just hanging about waiting for him, I have been checking out the local canal. I’ve walked three different lengths and fished it once for a couple of hours and so far not a touch. Strangely up until yesterday I hadn’t even seen a single sign of a fish, no; swirls, rises or any indication of any fish life at all.

Yesterday I decided to try a boat basin that I spotted on an earlier visit.

e63db5b7be284b20f0c63ceadb63bf85.jpg

There were a few more barges there than previously. As I was setting up a fish swirled between two of the barges and almost simultaneously between a barge and the wall, I couldn’t see them properly but they looked like roach. As I only had my spinning gear with me they obviously weren’t my target, but just seeing them cheered me up.

I gave a few casts between the barges and after a couple I felt the lure being plucked at but not a positive take a few casts later it happened again but again no hook up. I didn’t get any further bites in the basin and tried the basin entrance. Again the lure was plucked without a hook up and this occurred again when I fished tight alongside a grounded dredging barge. It could have been wasp sized perch or they may have just been shy. Anyway I will make some stingers for my next visit and I have ordered some smaller curly tailed jelly worms. As I was looking in the water for any sign of movement I noticed a rather large pink rubber dildo float past, the things people chuck in the canal eh, I think it must have come from one of the narrow boats as it was ethnically incorrect for Southall.

6195d5d5df41859e5505bb26e3bb6f5a.jpg

I tried intermittently along the canal on the walk back to my car but not a touch.

Tune in on Monday for another riveting episode of “Ray goes Blanking.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
Back on the river for a few hours after Roach although I was not too confident. A large flock of Cormorants had decided to Roost in the trees opposite and a couple of days before I had watched a large group float down river diving as they went. There must have been 50 or more birds and it was like a war scene from Pearl harbour, the surface alive with splashes as they dived and erupted back up again. I have never seen such a large group all fishing at the same time. To compound matters large amounts of floating leaves made it difficult to keep the bait out for more than a couple of minutes & I was struggling. However a couple of fish rolled very close in so I put a bait onto them and it was taken in seconds. A Breamy fight was followed by a flash of silver that had my heart fluttering before an Ide of around 4pounds came to the net.

When you hook one of these & see a flash of silver and think it might be a Roach your heart can miss a beat… Ide…

Ide .jpg

A few casts later and another firm pull but this time the rod kept going and the clutch started to whine as a Carp stormed off down river. I managed to land it, a nice common that I unhooked & returned without it leaving the water. I was now getting a bite a cast very close in but not connecting. I left the next tug to develop and struck into a fish that jagged around, the fight so different to the ide & clearly a Roach. It was a good one but I was still surprised when the scales went round to 1.13…its pigeon chest adding a few ounces. It also had a wound on one shoulder side and scales missing on the other which made me suspect it had a recent meeting with one of the cormorants.

1.13 Roach that probably had a Cormorant close encounter..

Roach4.jpg

3 more Roach followed, two over a pound and a dumpy little Carp that I thought for a moment might be a monster Gibel …they grow to around 6lb/7lb max, this one went over 10lb and had me buzzing but on close inspection two minute Barbules were just about present. Shame.

The Monster Gibel that wasn’t..handsome fish all the same...

CommGib.jpg

The Sunset was nice, the floating leaves less so ! …

sunset.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I decided to go this afternoon for a trip to the Eden in Kent. It had been a rainy morning and was raining when I left.

Fortunately the weather had cleared by the time I arrived. My intention was to park at the opposite end of the stretch that I fished on Saturday and walk the entire length with spinning gear. I took two rods, one a very light 6ft spinning rod which I fished with a Jelly worm jig the other only slightly heavier and with a crayfish jig there are very few fishable swims on this length but it was really a recce trip. By the time I reached the far end I had only had a couple of tentative knocks. I had about twenty minutes to fish the small weir pools at the far end of the fishery. First cast I had a very small perch on the crayfish. The fish took the entire lure, this is it. I didn’t need a mat, I used a leaf instead. They really are aggressive little beggars.
1be126515acd406bd1fa8aa3bd0a260b.jpg

A couple of casts later and I had it’s big brother at about a pound and a half.

Just time for a few last casts. I moved swim and as I climbed down the bank I went A over T, lucky for me it was just slippery and not steep. I had another perch about a pound then a Jack of about five pounds, which was decent sport on light gear.

I needed to get back to the car before dark and started to make my way back. After about half a mile or so I thought I would ring my wife, aargh no phone. I shot back and it was laying on the ground where I had taken the picture. Not a great result but the water was up and far more coloured than Saturday. I caught more than I would have done sitting on the sofa and I spied a few interesting swims that looked very Chubby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk