How did you get on?

sam vimes

Reaction score
The river was still a little higher than I'd like, but I haven't been out for several days. As soon as I saw another car in the layby, I had the feeling that there would be someone in my favoured winter peg. A fair walk ended in the hunch being correct, some inconsiderate bar steward was in my peg! ;)
Good job I'd put my waders on and taken my wading net. However, I didn't fancy my chances so much elsewhere.

I started really well by getting my gusset slightly wet as I slipped a little entering the water. That meant that the session was probably going to be pretty short. Things started fairly quickly with a couple of trout and a grayling in fairly short order. The next grayling made me wait a little longer and the third trout longer still. It was a decent sized fish, which I've caught before, that trashed the swim completely. After a biteless following twenty minutes or so, I beat a hasty retreat. Mercifully, after a couple of warming venison sausage and egg butties, my testicles have finally reappeared.

Three trout and two grayling was better than I really expected on a cold day. Only one photo because it was the only fish I couldn't unhook easily whilst still in the water.

DSC_0350.JPG

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I nipped out for a quick trotting session this avvey. I only set out at about 1.30pm and upon arriving at the river I finnished up chatting with someone until 3.15! To be honest I wasn't really bothered about fishing as the river was up, it was a horrible day and the downstream wind was bitter.
Anyhow I got to my spot at 3.25pm and started trotting, I had one fish and then it was too dark to see my float ?, I wasn't bothered though :).
So that was it and I was glad it was to be honest, i'm back home now, got me cuppa, dogs draped over me whilst sat infront of the fire waiting for my tea to be served up by my live in maid lol.

Reaction score
Went today,arrived after the draw,five anglers on the water before me,so set off to the top end,when I got through the top gate a bloke was sitting with his gear across the path in the swim I fancied,I went up for a chat and it turned out his barrow wheel had gone into a hole in the path and turned over taking him with it,hurting his shoulder and rolling him into the edge,through the nettles,he looked older than me,so not ideal,plus he walked with a stick,I stood with him for a while just to make sure he was ok,anyway after about half an hour he loaded his gear and left,probably just as well as the s.east wind was bloody freezing,especially as he was wet.I moved into his peg and had a roach first trot,then struggled,fished the stick till 1pm and had 8 roach to 8ozs,a dace 8ozs and a chublet about 6ozs,lost a decent chub after a few seconds off the hook,I changed to the feeder and lost a decent chub which I was about to net,then had four chublets to a pound,a perch a chub about 3lb 8ozs and two baby barbel about a pound.

Just to add,I felt bloody cold yesterday,really cold,unusual for me,i've had a bit of a cold,courtesy of the lady wife,on returning home my arthritis was in full swing,every joint was bloody aching,still hurts this morning,doddery old sod...

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
It felt particularly cold and damp here as well yesterday. Nithering as they say.

Just waiting for the sandwich maker to finish morning treatment then I am off to an easy venue for a bit of rod bending today. That statement will be the kiss of death and I will probably posting on the BLANK thread tonight!!!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
On the Rother in Kent today. It’s in flood and a bit like cocoa. I fully expect to blank. I’m only giving it a go to check out a new lure fishing outfit. A dead sheep is just floating by.
cc5f55415e87d2fab8d1e6699dcfa972.jpg

But I will persevere as I want to practice with the new rod and reel. I have gone from a 70 gram lure to a spinner bait and I am impressed with the braking system. Huge rafts of dead reeds are coming down the river and the remains of a boat is wedged in a fallen tree. I’m giving it another hour and then calling it a day.
400228d9f87dd6e7c8b8378711c9e8e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A very mild day today and as I have a club fixture Sunday I thought I’d go and practice the venue. A day ticket lake in south Bucks..

1CF877CC-C353-40C4-BF0F-B3388B2B2E4C.jpeg

Set up 10ft bomb rod with a quik-stop hair rig on a 12 QM1. Loaded that with punched bread.

2B733166-6B6D-4801-A24F-D127EF48E78D.jpeg
92F6D899-1975-44FE-9015-69592BD13F8F.jpeg

Half oz Arseley bomb and chucked it out.. Took a while to get the first bite, then had 4 in a row..

9C49B5F5-B599-4B41-A088-B8546CB4C267.jpeg
1464F89B-AD4C-44E1-A914-5397A89E1D70.jpeg
30791799-BAD1-4722-A952-3AB407B11E70.jpeg
1ABDEE3B-CD09-45F6-879C-534770039670.jpeg

There were loads of kites flying around as usual...

john step

Reaction score
It doesnt reall matter but the b*ggeration of it is that the third photo just would not post on here. Never mind plenty of carp seen before

Well I'll be blowed. Carp suddenly appeared!. TWICE!

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
On the Rother in Kent today. It’s in flood and a bit like cocoa. I fully expect to blank. I’m only giving it a go to check out a new lure fishing outfit. A dead sheep is just floating by.
cc5f55415e87d2fab8d1e6699dcfa972.jpg

But I will persevere as I want to practice with the new rod and reel. I have gone from a 70 gram lure to a spinner bait and I am impressed with the braking system. Huge rafts of dead reeds are coming down the river and the remains of a boat is wedged in a fallen tree. I’m giving it another hour and then calling it a day.
400228d9f87dd6e7c8b8378711c9e8e9.jpg

what reel are you using

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Mike is right, it’s a Tatula 200 HSL. I bought it from Ali Express for £95 which is a bargain and about half the UK price. It’s a nice piece of kit too. I asked in three local shops and none of them stocked small multiplier reels or showed any inclination to get one in for me. The rod is a Free Spirit pike tamer 30-120 gram and that’s a nice rod as well. Just need some fish now.

steve2

Reaction score
That is a good price most of what I am looking at are in the £200 range. Never heard of Ali express will give them a search.

mikench

Reaction score
Ray does that model have the latest braking systems and are they almost foolproof from a birds nest point of view?