Morale booster

Philip

Reaction score
Im surprised she didnt tell you to f### off,or punch you,not a softy is Sandra...

So I have heard ! … To be fair I wasn’t actually that rude…I was trying to take a snap and this big haired women kept sticking her head right in front of me so in the end I said can you get your head out of the way for a moment and then realized it was her.

I recall Alan catching a few small fish but was then beaten in the last few moments by the angler next to him who sat biteless the entire time fishing right in the edge but landed a single good fish right at the death. England still went on to win it.

PH

Reaction score
One from my travels......

Cute little Thing.jpg

John Keane

Reaction score
A Dunlin, photographed from a boat on a birdwatching trip on the Ria Formosa out of Tavira on the Algarve. I love wading birds, find them endlessly fascinating.

B3845557-C50-E-4-D07-A2-BD-ED126411-EFF8.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
A type of lark, the name of which escapes me. It's from the Kruger.

DSC00504.jpg

An Arabian Oryx from Ras Al Khaimah.

DSC00845.jpg

Somewhere special closer to home.

e851c040-dc3e-4955-b49e-d6a6d3b2762b.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
It's a cape longclaw and not a lark ; sorry losing the plot.

Yes it is the Ribblesdale viaduct complete with steam train.

Aknib

Reaction score
I know, I know, it's not a fish it's a rather large chicken tikka or rather it was until ten minutes ago but it's improved my morale no end...

Just need to sort something out for desert now :)

mikench

Reaction score
That's tickled my taste buds. It isn't right to tempt an addict you know.:rolleyes: meat puris eh Steve:)

Aknib

Reaction score
A pleasant stretch of the Chesterfield Canal, I've not been on there for some time but going back there were some very good Chub nets coming out with the trick being to get as close to the far bank reeds as you could.

The pole lads had it sorted, they used heavy elastics and struck by shooting their poles back on their rollers to literally yank the fish away from the reeds sharpish as they were notoriously quick in getting in there.

Muggins here had no such luxuries but he still won a few battles...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know, I know, it's not a fish it's a rather large chicken tikka or rather it was until ten minutes ago but it's improved my morale no end...

Just need to sort something out for desert now :)

Oh my! You’re dead posh eating off a wicker basket.

Aknib

Reaction score
Oh my! You’re dead posh eating off a wicker basket.

When all this lockdown thing first came about John and there were long queues at supermarkets and empty shelves I had visions of garages being broken into and freezer contents ransacked which sent me into an apocalypse inspired panic.

I brought all of the food which is usually stored in the garage into the house, ten minutes later I was running back and forth with arms full of fishing tackle.

It's kind of become my comfort blanket and part of the furniture over the last few weeks :)

ian g

Reaction score
The canal chub picture reminded me of catching them in the Trent & Mersey outside Middlewich . I have around 60lb of chub one morning on the pole , fishing right across to the lock outflow . All was going well until I forgot to break down the pole as I shipped in , the main Sandbach to Middlewich road was just behind me and I managed to clip a lorry wing mirror with the end of my pole , bloody carbon matchsticks everywhere:mad:. I was gutted

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All’s that missing is the San Miguel Steve.

Aknib

Reaction score
A nice sleek Summer fish, definitely built for speed...

And just for contrast a frosty weather but very perfect small Winter skimmer.

There's more of a story behind the skimmer, I spent a day catching a fair few on a shallow mill pond in the depths of Winter with ice in the margins using not pole and pinkie or squats but 'wet bread' that I'd soaked and pressed overnight, most were caught on a size 14 with a tiny bomb and the ultralite bomb rod at very close range.

The tip barely sat still all day.

I'm thankful to the ever reliable town centre duck feeders that had been pre-baiting for me for weeks...

deathclaw meme

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Dug deep to find these two photos!

I fished out of Plymouth several times close on twenty years ago. We found some very good cod on Redgill lures. We lost a few that made it back to the wreck!

These provided some of the best cod dinners I have ever eaten! Prime summer cod!

Tiburon cod.jpg

Probably about a decade ago now and I was in my pollack catching prime! My fishing buddy Sandy invited me out on his boat at Ansthruther to fish the May Island reefs. I caught this near 10 lb pollack on a small rubber eel, we had to back the boat over the kelp to extract the fish. Pollack fight hard and dirty! Great fun on heavy spinning rods.

Pollack email (1).jpg

Although I like pollack to eat this one was returned. I felt I had stolen one of Sandy's personal stock! If you take too many from a small patch pollack can take years to return, they seem very territorial.

Last edited: