A watershed moment in angling design.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The lockdown has certainly concentrated the mind and having had enough of watching paint dry I turned my mind to solving one of the biggest conundrums in angling, an issue that has perplexed, frustrated and angered anglers for hundreds of years.

I’ll say nothing right now and let the pictures do the talking, be prepared for a life changing moment.

Before

After

https://forensicanthropologist.net/

It’s a lot to take in but seeing is believing. I’m confident the change will bring many advantages.

1. A single hook instead of three will be lighter and will make roving those trips along the river much less of a burden.

2. A single hook will increase the strike rate, fish are confused when confronted with three hooks and dither struggling to make the right choice, this unique single hook removes multiple choice.

3. In the course of one session I guarantee you will hook yourself, your clothing, snag your net 66% less.

I’d like to be able to tell you how this can be done but I’m revealing my pioneering method on a new YouTube channel (please like and subscribe, if only for the annoying music track). I am also writing a feature length article for the Angling Times and I’m in the process of signing an exclusive deal with Rapala who have shown immense excitement.

So remember folks three’s a crowd, mingle with the single.

:)

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks a lot better with single hook instead of 3 pronged anchor at the back.
I am wondering what one would be like with a smaller single hook .

I’m sure a smaller hook would also work fine Mark, this hook is a Mustad B983 size 8, the Mepps is the smallest size 0, it does make the hook look disproportionally large I must admit.

mikench

Reaction score
A size 10 or 12 might look better and a circle hook perhaps. Let me know when you start taking orders.:rolleyes:

Keith M

Reaction score
I and many others have been replacing their trebles with singles for quite a few years now; on both plugs and spoons; although the weight of your singles on plugs should be looked at in order to maintain their action.

Keith

Krang

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Decoy X-F55?

Decoy-XF55-2.jpg

Looks just the ticket for spinners and crank lures. Its nice short shank will keep the hooks close to the body of the lure and the four points mean the force of the pulling against the line will be divided across two or more points minimising the stress at any one point of the fishes mouth!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I and many others have been replacing their trebles with singles for quite a few years now; on both plugs and spoons; although the weight of your singles on plugs should be looked at in order to maintain their action.

Keith

Quite a few years? Really? My bubble is burst, I’m crestfallen. I’ll now have to cancel a series of media and press events, I knew delaying this for 24 days would be a mistake.:)

bullet

Reaction score
I just cut two of the points off the treble, if its a decent one.

steve2

Reaction score
I must admit I went in the opposite direction and put larger size trebles on some of my lures.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I just cut two of the points off the treble, if its a decent one.
If you do, make sure they're the points that are welded to the main hook. Some hooks are bent double creating two hook points with a third point welded, but again, make sure that one you cut off is the welded one.

russell_bush

Reaction score
No Krang, used on ordinary spinning gear. They used to be the lure of choice when you could fish for Shad on the Severn, Wye, Teme etc.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No Krang, used on ordinary spinning gear. They used to be the lure of choice when you could fish for Shad on the Severn, Wye, Teme etc.

A friend of mine used to adapt fly spinners for Mullet fishing. He would remove the treble and tie on a freshwater single hook on a piece of mono about 2 inches from the fly spinner. he would put a marsh worm on the hook. This he would fish this about 5 ft under a float which he would cast to the far bank and let the current pull it back across the river with the fly spinner and worm trailing behind. He said it was frustrating but he caught a lot of Mullet.They would follow the fly spinner and nip at the worm.
I never got to try it myself but I did wrap some silver foil around the hook when float fishing once and watched Mullet follow the silver paper, they do like something shiny and moving it would seem.
They are good for Mackerel as well on light gear, I have caught a few on this when they come close enough around a jetty I fish. A lot more fun than lobbing big weights with feathers; fewer fish but a good way to appreciate them, superb fighters. Any smallish predatory sea fish will grab them, Black Bream, small Pollack to think of a couple.
I have never tried one on a fly rod though; I would have thought too heavy even as small as they are. It must put a lot of strain on the rod and line constantly casting one although maybe not, as I have never tried it.
Also on the silver paper theme, I have caught Launce (The Greater Sand Eel) on bits of silver paper on a tiny hook. They can be 12 inches long and good fun and a deadly Sea Bass bait. However, I haven't seen those for years, they must have become rare now; come to think of it, I haven't seen shoals of ordinary Sand Eels like I used to for a few years. They would swarm around the jetty in the summer in calm clear seas and the Mackerel and Bass would not be far away but, not seen much of them in the last few years.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
A friend of mine used to adapt fly spinners for Mullet fishing. He would remove the treble and tie on a freshwater single hook on a piece of mono about 2 inches from the fly spinner. he would put a marsh worm on the hook. This he would fish about 5 ft under a float which he would cast to the far bank and let the current pull back across the river with the fly spinner and worm trailing behind. he caught a lot of Mullet.They would follow the fly spinner and nip at the worm.

I do like a bit of Mullet fishing when I get the chance, I could imagine that working well. One to store in the memory banks for when the opportunity arises !

Brilliant fighters Mullet & a great cross over fish for Coarse anglers to have a dabble for.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A friend of mine used to adapt fly spinners for Mullet fishing. He would remove the treble and tie on a freshwater single hook on a piece of mono about 2 inches from the fly spinner. he would put a marsh worm on the hook. This he would fish this about 5 ft under a float which he would cast to the far bank and let the current pull it back across the river with the fly spinner and worm trailing behind. He said it was frustrating but he caught a lot of Mullet.They would follow the fly spinner and nip at the worm.
I never got to try it myself but I did wrap some silver foil around the hook when float fishing once and watched Mullet follow the silver paper, they do like something shiny and moving it would seem.
They are good for Mackerel as well on light gear, I have caught a few on this when they come close enough around a jetty I fish. A lot more fun than lobbing big weights with feathers; fewer fish but a good way to appreciate them, superb fighters.
Also on the silver paper theme, I have caught Launce (The Greater Sand Eel) on bits of silver paper on a tiny hook. They can be 12 inches long and good fun and a deadly Sea Bass bait. However, I haven't seen those for years, they must have become rare now.

The silver paper /foil also works to catch pike and perch,
It is banned in matches due to it acting a a small roach when you reel in. Also something else that is frowned upon if pike are allowed to be weighed in in matches is reeling in a small roach very slowly like playing a larger fish. I banned this method when I was running both junior and senior club matches .