Should the taking of trophy photos be banned?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I have far more extreme examples of fin deformation in my albulm - attributed to otter damage. I would be very surprised if this fish has been retained, it comes from a little fished stretch.............. Tails become torn for a number of reasons. Angling is but one. I shall not use tail damage as a tool for fish recognition as it should grow back in time.

Similar experience with the chub from Throop. Although heavily fished for and sometimes easy to catch, some of the very big and older chub have a variety of fin damage but are still in very good general condition. Some people are very quick to attribute such damage to poor handling, keepnets etc but in my opinion a minority of that damage is caused by angling.

I have fished some almost "virgin" parts of rivers normally closed to coarse anglers and caught chub showing similar damage (particularly split tail fins).

cg74

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought this was the best fish shot to show for the subject under discussion, Chav.
Although not caused by anything You've done, I think; the tail deformation and recent lower lobe damage raise suspicions of previous bad handling, as could the healed scale damage just above your right hand fingers.
Just my opinion, but the tail deformations may be due to net previous confinement.

Rubbish, far more likely to have come about as a result of flood debris.
Ignoring how much angling pressure a fish might have experienced; how many scale and fin perfect fully fledged adult chub do you see?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking so called trophy shots. With a little planning and forethought the process can be completed very quickly indeed. As has been said before, even with a basic digital camera with a timer and a bank stick attachment, some excellent quick results can be taken.

".. how many scale and fin perfect fully fledged adult chub do you see?"

Nice when they do turn up though! This is one of my favourite trophy shots: :)

a500x387.jpg

Jamesy

Reaction score
Whether it needs to be banned or not is one question, but I believe it has to stop. I never take pics of fish, it's vain pure and simple. There is no knowing how a flash might damage a fishes retina, besides all the other considerations mentioned above. Also fish look awkward and cumbersome in our enviroment, while they are so graceful and beautiful in their own. I see the 'Grab & Grin' going the way of keepnets, barbed hooks, Pike gaffs etc

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Whether it needs to be banned or not is one question, but I believe it has to stop. I never take pics of fish, it's vain pure and simple. There is no knowing how a flash might damage a fishes retina, besides all the other considerations mentioned above. Also fish look awkward and cumbersome in our enviroment, while they are so graceful and beautiful in their own. I see the 'Grab & Grin' going the way of keepnets, barbed hooks, Pike gaffs etc

And yet you (we) stick bits of metal in their mouths and haul them out of their natural environment... it's what we do as anglers.

:eek:mg:

richard bowler

Reaction score
For inspiration on some non grip and grin angling photography look at some of the online american fly fishing mag's like catch magazine. With waterproof point and shoot cameras now avalible it would be possible with a little thought to get some nice shots without the fish even leaving the water.
All the best
Richard
- Home

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm rapidly arriving at the conclusion that the culture of appeasing PC B/S will be the death knell of angling. Sadly, it'll be anglers and not antis that kill it. Most antis know nothing of the potential harm that the likes of misused keepnets, bad handling etc can cause. People seem intent on highlighting the negatives for the antis to pick up on, which they will, eventually.

Some of you are, hopefully unwittingly, the worst enemy of the future of angling. Antis don't have to lift a finger if we continue to do all their work for them. Look after fish as best you can by all means. Please leave the puritanical, and often commercially driven, "my keepnet/carpsack/unhooking matt is bigger/better/more expensive" cobblers well alone.

Take trophy shots, use fish retaining devices, use hooks. Do them sensibly and we'll not have any problems. Pander to antis that haven't got a clue, force your sensibilities on others that are doing things perfectly legally, and we may have problems sooner rather than later.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm rapidly arriving at the conclusion that the culture of appeasing PC B/S will be the death knell of angling. Sadly, it'll be anglers and not antis that kill it. Most antis know nothing of the potential harm that the likes of misused keepnets, bad handling etc can cause. People seem intent on highlighting the negatives for the antis to pick up on, which they will, eventually.

Some of you are, hopefully unwittingly, the worst enemy of the future of angling. Antis don't have to lift a finger if we continue to do all their work for them. Look after fish as best you can by all means. Please leave the puritanical, and often commercially driven, "my keepnet/carpsack/unhooking matt is bigger/better/more expensive" cobblers well alone.

Take trophy shots, use fish retaining devices, use hooks. Do them sensibly and we'll not have any problems. Pander to antis that haven't got a clue, force your sensibilities on others that are doing things perfectly legally, and we may have problems sooner rather than later.

100% correct.

chav professor

Reaction score

not your thing? fine..... Got to stop...Mmmmmmmmmm No doubt fish look most graceful in the water, perhaps oneday water proof camera will become more affordable. But for me, I go for the trophy shot. Its my choice and does so little harm.

Retina damage???? Can't make a sweeping statement or assumption based on what???? surely couldn't have commisioned a research paper?

barbed hooks???? WTF????? best hooks and only hooks to use IMO. Possibly cause less damage in certain circumstances.....

Keepnets???

Live baits???

Ground bait???

Bollies???

treble hooks???

Braided hook links???

Now photographing fish out of the water:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

What I hate about the ban it culture is that slowly but surely WE AS ANGLERS WILL BAN ANGLING as we know it!!!!!!

My club banned live baiting? Reason - gives ammo to the anti's...... B@llocks.
It was steeped in predudice against a branch of anglers within the club!

Fight bans - Protect our sport...... from those within our own ranks - thats the bit that miffs me. Yes this post hit a raw nerve:D

It was interesting the number of posts that appeared whilst I was typing this..........

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
For inspiration on some non grip and grin angling photography look at some of the online american fly fishing mag's like catch magazine. With waterproof point and shoot cameras now avalible it would be possible with a little thought to get some nice shots without the fish even leaving the water.
All the best
Richard
- Home

I've subscribed to "Catch" for a while now. Some truly exceptional photography on view.

cg74

Reaction score

Further to Neil's very valid point; it seems doubtful that camera flashes cause any lasting harm, you only need to look at the numbers of repeat captures as proof. As for looking "awkward and cumbersome in our enviroment, while they are so graceful and beautiful in their own."
I'm left wondering how and why you remove them from their watery habitats?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Was Jamesy's post actually serious?:eek: I took it as tongue in cheek with a dollop of irony. However, if it isn't then it serves only to emphasize the point I make about puritanical anglers potentially being the biggest threat that angling faces.

George387

Reaction score
:):):) some of the posts here are so hilarious that I dont know how the writers of them can call themselves anglers. Photography plays a big part of good angling practises today over yesteryear, if done properly and respectfully.
I know I would rather have people taking photographs than chapping fish on the head either for taxidermy or just to show mates what they caught.

Like everything else in angling it goes without saying treat the fish with respect and they will be there for future generations to enjoy.

I can see the point where some clubs have banned it due to poaching, which I think is not a bad thing however like others have said before me I fish alone 99.9% of the time any pictures I take are of the fish laying in the net on the bank side or on a mat, its very unusual for me to have a shot with me holding the fish with scenery in the background, so am not giving anything away of where I'm fishing exactly.

dezza

Reaction score
Was Jamesy's post actually serious? I took it as tongue in cheek with a dollop of irony. However, if it isn't then it serves only to emphasize the point I make about puritanical anglers potentially being the biggest threat that angling faces.

If Jamesy's post is serious, then I do believe we have an anti in our midst.

On the photography side, I do believe that anglers insist too much on fish being held. It's the fish we should be honouring, not the angler.

Last edited:

waggy

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking so called trophy shots. With a little planning and forethought the process can be completed very quickly indeed. As has been said before, even with a basic digital camera with a timer and a bank stick attachment, some excellent quick results can be taken.

".. how many scale and fin perfect fully fledged adult chub do you see?"

Nice when they do turn up though! This is one of my favourite trophy shots: :)

a500x387.jpg
Nice fish, Neil. I must confess, my Missus takes my fishy shots. By the time I get them off the hook, I've just enough time to turn and pose and the job's done. I never bother myself but do take one or two 'laid on the bank/mat shots' to minimise handling.

B

Berty

not your thing? fine..... Got to stop...Mmmmmmmmmm No doubt fish look most graceful in the water, perhaps oneday water proof camera will become more affordable. But for me, I go for the trophy shot. Its my choice and does so little harm.

Retina damage???? Can't make a sweeping statement or assumption based on what???? surely couldn't have commisioned a research paper?

barbed hooks???? WTF????? best hooks and only hooks to use IMO. Possibly cause less damage in certain circumstances.....

Keepnets???

Live baits???

Ground bait???

Bollies???

treble hooks???

Braided hook links???

Now photographing fish out of the water:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

What I hate about the ban it culture is that slowly but surely WE AS ANGLERS WILL BAN ANGLING as we know it!!!!!!

My club banned live baiting? Reason - gives ammo to the anti's...... B@llocks.
It was steeped in predudice against a branch of anglers within the club!

Fight bans - Protect our sport...... from those within our own ranks - thats the bit that miffs me. Yes this post hit a raw nerve:D

It was interesting the number of posts that appeared whilst I was typing this..........

Man after my own heart...........some of the other ***** should take up golf!!!!!!

terry m

Reaction score
If Jamesy's post is serious, then I do believe we have an anti in our midst.

On the photography side, I do believe that anglers insist too much on fish being held. It's the fish we should be honouring, not the angler.

This is a valid point, a picture of a chub, barbel or pike on an unhooking mat with an object as a size reference, - I use my Avons - , is IMO far better than a picture of my grimace as I cling onto a fish. Mat shots are quick and effective.

I am not an anti, but I am more comfortable taking quick pictures and returning.

smithdave

Reaction score
My hats off !
I thought I was a half descent pi55 taker, but this thread takes the........... Er er ! Can someone help me finish this sentence please ?