What is wrong with some people?

benny samways

Reaction score
If you own a van (in my borough) you have to apply for a license each time you want to take something to the tip.

Your limited to how many a year your allowed.
You need to detail exactly what your throwing away.
Your not allowed to throw things away for other people.

Thats just some of their s. hite.

They do not make it easy; which it should be and was for many a year.

Being a man with a van means im always called in for favours. If I end up with 'ad hoc' tipable rubbish I have to sit on it for a few days for a pass to come through my door; that is if the little bleedin Hitler on the end of the phone at the council has decided Im worthy of one. Dont mention helping elderly neighbours this immediately means your not entitled to a permit (big society in action).

Thats how they make it hard

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I sympathise. I've just been up the local tip & endured a ferocious *******ing from one of the resident goblins for having the audacity to chuck 2 [yes 2] sheets of paper into the general waste skip. Never mind that I picked them up off the floor first.

As for bailiffing I'm not going to put myself in danger. I'm not a small bloke but knives are no respecter of size. Now if I've got the Big Fella with me that's another matter....Phil has never taken a step backwards in his life.

Reaction score
I have to dispose of scrap metal, waste wood (crates, pallets, etc), general waste, Hazardous waste (contaminated oil, contaminates solvents, waste carbon, electrical goods, lamps, batteries, ink cartridges, etc), paper and card, plus other ad hoc waste.

I fill in the forms, sign the transfer notes and pay the fee. Its not hard.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I sympathise. I've just been up the local tip & endured a ferocious *******ing from one of the resident goblins for having the audacity to chuck 2 [yes 2] sheets of paper into the general waste skip. Never mind that I picked them up off the floor first.

As for bailiffing I'm not going to put myself in danger. I'm not a small bloke but knives are no respecter of size. Now if I've got the Big Fella with me that's another matter....Phil has never taken a step backwards in his life.

I don't suggest that you put yourself in danger, but why expect someone to do something you are not prepared to do yourself. I am not confrontational, I just ask if they are members, if they are not then I tell them that they had best be on their way. They go, or they have done so far. If I was walking around the lake and someone was fishing surrounded by litter, I would firstly ask them if they were a member and if they were I would ask them if they planned to take their st*t with them when left, as it happens I have never had to go that far. I wouldn't expect someone to cut up rough over a polite request. I must be pretty lucky as I have never really encountered the sort of pillocks that some of you seemed to bump into on a regular basis.

The bad one

Reaction score
If you own a van (in my borough) you have to apply for a license each time you want to take something to the tip.

Being a man with a van means im always called in for favours. If I end up with 'ad hoc' tipable rubbish I have to sit on it for a few days for a pass to come through my door; that is if the little bleedin Hitler on the end of the phone at the council has decided Im worthy of one. Dont mention helping elderly neighbours this immediately means your not entitled to a permit (big society in action).

Ask yourself why they had to bring those rules?
Council waste disposal facilities are paid for by the Council Tax payers for domestic waste, not commercial waste disposal on the cheap or for nowt.

Man with a van who takes payment for moving /disposing of waste is operating a commercial business, therefore should pay the commercial rates not expect the Council Tax payers to fund his profit. :mad:

It don't happen on our waters does it Matt ;)

Actually there is a synergy here, Men with Vans pull up on quite road over the river throws waste contents out of the back of said van as a way of disposing of his waste. River will take it and adds to the river rubbish and of course his profits. Don't happen does it? Well talk to the EA and their bailiffs as to whether it happens or not!

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Yep they last as long as it takes us to catch them at it Matt, which usually isn't that long. The members are quite good at doing this :wh:wh:whon them :D

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I don't suggest that you put yourself in danger, but why expect someone to do something you are not prepared to do yourself.

I dont expect that Ray.Fortunately the majority of my club's waters do not suffer from either a poaching or litter problem and are generally extraordinarily well bailiffed....and on the waters I fish [and when I fish them] rarely do you find the litter & the culprit in close proximity. I am dreadfully untidy & disorganised on the bank but when I pack up I take great pride in the fact that most people wouldn't know I'd been there.

TBH if a water has a reputation for being "unsafe" then I dont fish it. Simples.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Benny mate, I now where you are coming from, and, by the way, you sound a good un if you help the elderly ;) The trouble with this country (by the way I am very proud to be British, God bless Her Majesty for 60 glorious years) is that we have to many jobs worth's running it! Nothings ever said to those ******* house clearance guy's, they turn up, within 10 mins of calling them (so you cannot change your mind!) and can strip a house in 20 mins, worse than any Gipsy (who are by the way good honest folk...Don't ever get them mixed up with those travellers that go round dumping their sh@t everywhere!)
Anyway, I am gettin a little carried away here, is it not supposed to be about litter on the banks? and you, Mr bad One,we know you are ARD ;)

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Benny mate, I now where you are coming from, and, by the way, you sound a good un if you help the elderly ;) The trouble with this country (by the way I am very proud to be British, God bless Her Majesty for 60 glorious years) is that we have to many jobs worth's running it! Nothings ever said to those ******* house clearance guy's, they turn up, within 10 mins of calling them (so you cannot change your mind!) and can strip a house in 20 mins, worse than any Gipsy (who are by the way good honest folk...Don't ever get them mixed up with those travellers that go round dumping their sh@t everywhere!)
Anyway, I am gettin a little carried away here, is it not supposed to be about litter on the banks? and you, Mr big One, we know you are ARD ;)

Not hard, just fearless and fair! :D

peterjg

Reaction score
One has to bear in mind that most people are complete cretins.

nicepix

Reaction score
The cheaper the fishing, the bigger the problem.
The closer the venue to large population centres, the bigger the problem.
The more prolific the venue, the bigger the problem.
The more low key the bailiffing/control, the bigger the problem.
The better the availability of day tickets, the bigger the problem.
The more people that have access, the bigger the problem.

Too many folks are now so far removed from the reality of a rural environment by urban/sub-urban living. In the urban environments they inhabit, if a mess is made in a public place, sooner or later someone will clean it up, or at least they think so. Some just don't give a damn whatever the environment they are in.

I can see what you are saying, but it's not as simple as that. For example, in Cyprus I fish the vast Evretou Dam that is free, remote, no night fishing allowed and is patrolled by police officers yet the amount of alcohol related rubbish scattered about is unbelievable compared to the few anglers who fish it. I can easily take a bin load back with me from every swim I fish. Here in France I fish the similarly sized Mas Chaban lake. Again it is lightly fished, free, remote and patrolled by Fisheries Police with just a small area set aside for night fishing. That is absolutely pristine. Not a speck of litter anywhere.

Back in the UK I found that there was no correlation between litter and the things that you list. I don't know for sure, but I think that it is a small minority of people who spoil it for others.

As for fly-tipping; whilever the councils are demanding extortionate fees for tipping trade waste they will continue to pay heavily to go out and collect fly-tipped rubbish. Why can't they see that?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can see what you are saying, but it's not as simple as that. For example, in Cyprus I fish the vast Evretou Dam that is free, remote, no night fishing allowed and is patrolled by police officers yet the amount of alcohol related rubbish scattered about is unbelievable compared to the few anglers who fish it. I can easily take a bin load back with me from every swim I fish. Here in France I fish the similarly sized Mas Chaban lake. Again it is lightly fished, free, remote and patrolled by Fisheries Police with just a small area set aside for night fishing. That is absolutely pristine. Not a speck of litter anywhere.

Back in the UK I found that there was no correlation between litter and the things that you list. I don't know for sure, but I think that it is a small minority of people who spoil it for others.

Don't get me wrong, all those factors can't be taken in isolation. All sorts of combinations and permutations are possible. I alao realised well after posting that I should have put "potential" between the and problem.

I make no comment on what the situation is on waters outside the UK. The psyche and prevailing attitudes of the population is bound to play a part. I've never fished in France, and doubt I ever will, so have no idea on what the situation is there. I have fished in Cyprus though and will not be doing so ever again. For a start, the fishing is not what it was in the late eighties/early nineties. The last time I fished in Cyprus, I was appalled at what it had become. The main angling activity seemed to be eastern Europeans with beer, barbecues and nasty attitudes, particularly to those returning fish to the water.

In the UK, I'm convinced that those things I listed ring true but not in isolation from each other. If you want a truly pristine fishery in the UK, look to small syndicate waters in the middle of nowhere, club waters with stringent rules and harsh punishments or commercials where, on top of a plethora of bins, the bailiffs/owners have litter picks every night. Alternatively, try to find a venue that few people bother with, either because it's a rubbish venue or the word hasn't got out.

I'm quite sure that you are right about it being a small minority that spoil things. However, whether they spoil your water will depend on whether they are attracted to fish it in the first place. The more attractive it is (due to some of the factors listed), the more chance there is of that minority turning up.

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
I have to dispose of scrap metal, waste wood (crates, pallets, etc), general waste, Hazardous waste (contaminated oil, contaminates solvents, waste carbon, electrical goods, lamps, batteries, ink cartridges, etc), paper and card, plus other ad hoc waste.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I cant take someone trying to be as condescending as that.

Being told I cannot have a permitt to get rid of some waste for a neighbour makes it not just hard but impossible.

Also I am not a business just a man who happens to use a small van as his vehicle. Thats the gripe. Theres another about people who use points like 'thats the way it is, so thats the way it is'. But I will leave it.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Most Councils are being ever more tightly controlled about the amount of landfill they can use , otherwise they face stiff financial penalties , hence the tightening on what is seen as commercial activity, and that message is being filtered through to everyone in the organisation.

But , are they saying you are commercial simply because you drive a van ? If we take stuff in a trailer we have to book in advance , again to make sure we are not commercial enterprises trying to save on costs.

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as condescending. What I was trying to say was that they just keep throwing hoops at us to jump through and no matter how wrong/rubbish the system seems, sometimes we just have to keep jumping through until we reach the out come we need...if that makes sense.

nicepix

Reaction score
I make no comment on what the situation is on waters outside the UK. The psyche and prevailing attitudes of the population is bound to play a part. I've never fished in France, and doubt I ever will, so have no idea on what the situation is there. I have fished in Cyprus though and will not be doing so ever again. For a start, the fishing is not what it was in the late eighties/early nineties. The last time I fished in Cyprus, I was appalled at what it had become. The main angling activity seemed to be eastern Europeans with beer, barbecues and nasty attitudes, particularly to those returning fish to the water.

I've met all sorts of people fishing in Cyprus including a lot of Eastern Europeans who to be fair are similar in their habits to Cypriot anglers - take everything they catch and leave lots of litter behind. In fact the whole countryside is littered with, well, litter! Never had a problem with the attitiude of them though. On the contrary, they are more than friendly, even when I put fish back. Must be an Evretou thing. Well, it is in the best bit of the island and the fishing is great there too :D

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Originally Posted by Mr Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) View Post

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I cant take someone trying to be as condescending as that.

Being told I cannot have a permitt to get rid of some waste for a neighbour makes it not just hard but impossible.

Also I am not a business just a man who happens to use a small van as his vehicle. Thats the gripe. Theres another about people who use points like 'thats the way it is, so thats the way it is'. But I will leave it.

It was written by someone who has never had to personally deal with the privatised morons who are now in charge of council rubbish sites. Anyone with a van of any description is regarded as 'Trade' whether he has hired it to move house or just prefers to own a van than a car. They even stopped a woman from walking into the yard even though she lived across the road from it.

They are making money from waste and expect the public to do their sorting for them.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have fished in Cyprus though and will not be doing so ever again. For a start, the fishing is not what it was in the late eighties/early nineties. The last time I fished in Cyprus, I was appalled at what it had become. The main angling activity seemed to be eastern Europeans with beer, barbecues and nasty attitudes, particularly to those returning fish to the water.

Totally agree Sam, we used to go to Cyprus most years from the late 70's (when Ayia Napa was a tiny fishing village and Fig Tree Bay was very hard to find) - early 2000's. The changes throughout the 80's/90's were alarming (apart from the road building) ,and not just the fishing ,I dread to think what it's like now.
Jerry