Best winter barbel bait?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
So wondering what the general consensus is on best barbel baits at this time of year. Seems that some will stick with a pellet/ groundbait approach - I just wonder though is this too (for want of a better word) "rich" for this fish? Would maggots/ casters + hemp be a better bit, or are you just inviting hoards of smaller fish to pester you? Big lump of meat?

(my favourite barbel bait at this time of year is probably a lump of cheesepaste. Fishing with lighter tackle. The barbel never want to know, but some of the accidental chub catches I've had have been stunning :wh)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would think that pellets rule from what I have heard I love to use lobs all season though myself. Each to his own.:)

theartist

Reaction score
I'd use maggotts but then I'm a one trick pony most the time. Small fish shouldn't be a problem this time of year.

sampras43

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I would assume you're talking about smelly baits such as meat etc for this time of year, especially if the river's cloudy. Pellet's are really summer baits imo, although you could try a large halibut hair-rigged.

Smelly or visual...same for chub.

nicepix

Reaction score
If you are talking about winter barbel baits then worm is my number one choice followed by luncheon meat. Pellets seem to work better in summer in my experience.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Very much with Nicey here, lob worms or flavoured luncheon meat for me too. I also carry some shelf life boilies which can work well on the day.

john step

Reaction score
Dead maggots and hemp work well in winter on the tidal Trent.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Let's face it they'll eat anything if...
They're in your swim.
They are feeding.

The best bait is the one you catch on...

nicepix

Reaction score
Let's face it they'll eat anything if...
They're in your swim.
They are feeding.

The best bait is the one you catch on...

Totally disagree. Some baits will attract them into your swim and some won't. Some baits will be taken one day and not the next.

cg74

Reaction score
A lot depends on the river you're fishing and consequently the stocks present; not just the barbel.

On a low clear (or relatively low clear) river with enough fish to get competing, then maggots are the way forward.
If fishing a coloured river or a water with low stocks, a small boilie or an oily pellet both of 8-10mm, wrapped in a pellet and boilie based paste but there's no need to make your bait into a golf ball sized offering; I wouldn't go above 20mm in diameter.

Regards feeding; with maggots you must keep them constantly trickling through your swim!
Pellets/boilies, it depends on how many fish you think are in front of you; if it's only one or two, a couple pellets/boilies and a couple pinches of paste and only top after catching. Alternatively fish a hookbait on its own or with a couple ground pellets and/or boilies via PVA.

Keith M

Reaction score
I am in agreement with cg74 (above) re baits for Barbel during the colder months.

In the winter I catch most of my Barbel when trotting with Maggots, or if I am link legering I use either small 7mm pellets (1 or 2 on a hair) boilies or lean processed meats wrapped in soft paste leaving a flavour trail to attract fish upstream to my bait as the paste wrap slowly disolves in the flow.

I dont use Oily or Fatty baits in low temperatures and I rely more on smelly and/or spicey flavours, plus I use a lot less feed, and in the midst of winter I will often rely on hookbaits alone (wrapped in soft paste).

I've no doubt that in other rivers the Barbel may repsond a lot differently but on the small streams and rivers where I fish the Barbel seem to respond well to the baits and methods I use above.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
So opinion is divided then.... of the boilie users above, do you have a preference to changing flavours in the winter? I.e. - fishmeal-based in Summer and fruit/ sweet based in the winter?

(its all little bit theoretical as I can't get anywhere near my favourite river swims at the moment, but there's a vague chance of a change before the end of next week...)

cg74

Reaction score
Jim, I use the same boilies all year round and they're always fishmeal based. The way I look at it is as a simple equation; need over effort over reward. Yes fishmeal is digested slower in colder water but the fish need food and if little effort is required, the rewards are great!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Jim, I use the same boilies all year round and they're always fishmeal based. The way I look at it is as a simple equation; need over effort over reward. Yes fishmeal is digested slower in colder water but the fish need food and if little effort is required, the rewards are great!

Thanks, that makes sense. Before I switched to cheesepaste for winter chubbing i did have a few on dynamite monster crab boilies, 10mm that I otherwsie used for tench in the summer.

I think looking at the replies the overall response is use a bait you're confident in as a catcher, and just don't feed as much in the winter.

Thanks very much for all replies, much appreciated!

aebitim

Reaction score
Definately in the maggot camp, feed them through a feeder and a big bunch on the hook, wrapping the feeder in a bread/bran stiff paste with as many small cubes of spam as it will take and using meat on the hook when the small fish make the maggot a no go.
Change swims every hour if not catching and cover as much water in between with trundled meat.

chrispyfish

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Some baits will attract them into your swim and some won't. Some baits will be taken one day and not the next.

Hmm. not sure if thats true .... I would suspect that the barbel have moved away from that particular area due to bombardment. They probably move back in at night when they know its safe to eat.

My favourite bait depends on river colour - worms if its in flood or maggots if running clearer - great at this time of year - barbel adore them.

I have also had good results on cheespaste with addition of garlic and marmite - I know its sounds disgusting but barbs (and chub) seem to love the savoury taste.

aebitim

Reaction score
Hmm. not sure if thats true .... I would suspect that the barbel have moved away from that particular area due to bombardment. They probably move back in at night when they know its safe to eat.

My favourite bait depends on river colour - worms if its in flood or maggots if running clearer - great at this time of year - barbel adore them.

I have also had good results on cheespaste with addition of garlic and marmite - I know its sounds disgusting but barbs (and chub) seem to love the savoury taste.

I would agree with both scenarei, and could write another page or two on variations.