Best winter barbel bait?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hmm. not sure if thats true .... I would suspect that the barbel have moved away from that particular area due to bombardment. They probably move back in at night when they know its safe to eat.

My favourite bait depends on river colour - worms if its in flood or maggots if running clearer - great at this time of year - barbel adore them.

I have also had good results on cheespaste with addition of garlic and marmite - I know its sounds disgusting but barbs (and chub) seem to love the savoury taste.

Wow, nice idea. Just to be clear, are we talking marmite and garlic or marmite or garlic?

(Not that it probably makes so much difference, i can imagine it's another scent for them to home in on though....)

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Flavoured meat has always served me well, a single high flavoured bit of meat has been my winter approach.

Kind regards
Ray

cg74

Reaction score
Pellets or cheese paste infused with either SAC Blue Cheese or Banana flavour, top stuff ;)

Are you talking about pellets in pellet form or ground pellets in a paste?

I must admit to not getting why anyone uses cheese paste for barbel, yes barbel go for it but not with the same gusto that chub do, resulting in to many nuisance chub and to few barbel!

When I go for barbel (or any other species), I always use the most effective bait for them, besides by-catches will always come on the preferable bait option.

*Please can someone quote my post so Mark gets to see it.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Are you talking about pellets in pellet form or ground pellets in a paste?

I must admit to not getting why anyone uses cheese paste for barbel, yes barbel go for it but not with the same gusto that chub do, resulting in to many nuisance chub and to few barbel!

When I go for barbel (or any other species), I always use the most effective bait for them, besides by-catches will always come on the preferable bait option.

*Please can someone quote my post so Mark gets to see it.

There you go. Oh. I forgot. I'm on his ignore list too :eek:mg:

Brilliant how he can recommend a product he only ordered a few days ago. Who needs to actually use something to be able to recommend it? :wh

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Originally Posted by nicepix View Post
Totally disagree. Some baits will attract them into your swim and some won't. Some baits will be taken one day and not the next.

Hmm. not sure if thats true .... I would suspect that the barbel have moved away from that particular area due to bombardment. They probably move back in at night when they know its safe to eat.

My favourite bait depends on river colour - worms if its in flood or maggots if running clearer - great at this time of year - barbel adore them.

I have also had good results on cheespaste with addition of garlic and marmite - I know its sounds disgusting but barbs (and chub) seem to love the savoury taste.

If you follow your suspicions and Peter Crabtree's original point, you are claiming that bait doesn't matter. Then why bother changing your bait at all let alone using flavourings?

chrispyfish

Reaction score
Wow, nice idea. Just to be clear, are we talking marmite and garlic or marmite or garlic?

(Not that it probably makes so much difference, i can imagine it's another scent for them to home in on though....)
Hi Jim,

Yes, Garlic and Marmite - not to much mind as its a but sticky and presumably can be a bit strong.

Of interest I fished that today on the Upper Severn at Shrewsbury and had a new PB Chub of 5lb 10oz followed by another at 5lb 4oz. Not bad for round here - anything over 5 is a superb specimen on the Severn.

Happy bunny - Chris

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Will be out again with the SAC Juice again this morning on the Yarrow (its 500 yards down the road, so easy to get out the weather if it turns :)) after those little chub(lets) they love it!! ;)

cg74

Reaction score
Will be out again with the SAC Juice again this morning on the Yarrow (its 500 yards down the road, so easy to get out the weather if it turns :)) after those little chub(lets) they love it!! ;)

In fairness, little chub will literally eat anything and everything but this is a discussion on "Barbel Baits" - Here's a more suitable thread for your topic: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/347375-chub-fishing.html

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Jim, out of curiosity which river are you talking about?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well the 11.11 barbel and 5.11 Chub liked the Elips in monster crab on a coloured Loddon yesterday............................:D

Everyone loves garlic flavoured meat. 'cept me. :eek:

And I think to myself, 3 pints maggots, some hemp. About £12.00

Couple dozen elips and bit of ground pellet with dash of Monster Crab.

£1.50

Graham (not from Yorkshire) ;)

flightliner

Reaction score
Graham, tried the very same bait for the very same reasons last week, as good as you can do most times at the end of the season, sadly (or otherwise) a pod of porpoises ploughing up and down the river and my swim kept my catch to zero !!! :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Ha. If it was thursday and on the tidal trent my pal watched the porpoises and on the pellet had 7 barbel and some bream n chub when he txt me at 10pm! I told him they were probably keeping the fish awake.

Probably had a few more later as well
Graham

nicepix

Reaction score
Ha. If it was thursday and on the tidal trent my pal watched the porpoises and on the pellet had 7 barbel and some bream n chub when he txt me at 10pm! I told him they were probably keeping the fish awake.

Probably had a few more later as well
Graham

The only reason your mate caught is 'cos flight' was keeping the porpoises occupied elsewhere. He owes flight' a pint I reckon. :D

flightliner

Reaction score
To right NP! The critters were criss crossing the river width like hooligans, up n down most of the day, I reckon they were feeding swimming around like that, some of the fotos I took look like buster crabbe and his mates were having a game of water polo on miniature submarines.:D:D:D
Cant think many anglers in the uk have exporienced that one.:eek:mg:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
[/COLOR]Jim, out of curiosity which river are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

Well, two really - i've barbel fished the wye over the last two seasons and had some pretty good results, but if I'm honest it did seem that when they're "on" in that river, you could put pretty much anything in front of them and they'd still pull the rod round. Having said that, my one blank on the wye came in March - I'd turned up in a swim i was confident in, with my wonder baits from the previous September/ October session and hey presto! nothing..... In the run up to the end of the season I was thinking about heading down there one more time but it's looking like that's not going to be possible now.

However, the chub fishing I've done is mostly on the thames - the point being, barbel do come out of the river in Oxfordshire occasionally but I've never seen hide nor hair of them!!

Still very interesting to hear people's opinions on the winter/ summer options, I just wish I had more time to get out and experiment a bit more... TBH, chub fishing on the thames at this time of year is pretty consistent, so if you do only get a couple of hours on an irregular basis to fish, then it suits pretty well.

Thanks one and all for the lively (groan!) debait!!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Jim.
The last few very big barbel came from Oxfordshire as well as the record.

So big when they do show. Make a friend with a fireman or look for some parked boats! (theres a cryptic clue for 2 places)

Nicepix. Seals are so old news. I just wanted Flighty to know we are keeping tabs on him and his catches (or not)

I guess the tidal trent was spot on. Anyway. Wye from tomorrow.

Graham

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Graham

I've got the first clue but not the second, but that's ok... :) I know they're there, i know they're massive and I'd love to catch one like that but I have this strange affliction called "need-to-getta-bite-quickly-itus" which makes targetting thames barbel a bit of a stretch for me. Whereas on a river like the wye, I can always convince myself that its just about to happen....