BIG PERCH Challenge 2015/6.

B

binka

If it's just for the hook I tend to use whole worms with a nip pinched off the tail but it's worth experimenting, an inch nipped off the head end and just tipped on the hook beside the main part is also effective especially in coloured water where that extra scent will give you a bit more of an edge.

I find large dendrobaenas stay alive a lot longer than lobworms which tend to go limp and mushy quite quickly.

If I'm roving through a stretch looking for likely spots I only feed a half a worm every now and again but if I'm feeding a particular swim for a period of time it's choppie and again it pays to experiment with how finely you chop your worm.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I have a 8lb 9oz one Simon can't find the pics though mate, I know you will take my word for it though ❤️

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The quest for big perch has been relentless, after three successive blanks finally connected with Mr.Stripey today, on its way to the net I had high hopes of raising the bar, unfortunately one ounce shy of my previous best at 3lb 9oz.

Fell to livebait on a lake in Kent.

25096353-38AE-4E0D-8959-D9E5A81014E1.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After a blank session live baiting decided to use the faithful lobworm today, didn't let me down but the weight is going in the wrong direction. 3lb 2oz.

Think the 4s will come in February, March.

59CFB763-6D34-4C47-8F08-324A4AF428E8.jpg
[/URL]

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Mr S63,

Peach of a perch, Sir - very well done. Bonus point for accurate and honest weight reporting. I hope it's rewarded with a deserved new pb. Fair play to you. :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cracking way to finish 2015 with another 3 plus stripey caught earlier today, 3lb 5ozs.

Maybe a 4lber in 2016.

8FADB52F-D41F-4874-AF89-1910DDC57272.jpg

C11FC935-C5FF-4FD4-BF0C-1AB8F85B67FD.jpg

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Cracking way to finish 2015 with another 3 plus stripey caught earlier today, 3lb 5ozs.

Maybe a 4lber in 2016.

Are these the piccies? I had problems viewing them in your original post.

Even better than mine earlier this year on Lobworm from the Ribble - don't know if there will be any left after the floods over Xmas! :eek::eek:mg:
Tight Lines :thumbs:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those are indeed the pics, also caught on lobworm.

B

binka

Maybe a 4lber in 2016.

Great fishing again fella.

I really hope you do crown this thread with that four pounder before the end of the season, you've been consistent with some very nice perch and I reckon you deserve one.

Good luck :thumbs:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People that know far more than me say February will be the month for the 4s:)

B

binka

I could well believe that.

I took the mut for a walk around a local lake over Christmas and the perch had corralled a huge amount of fry into a small bay and were striking into them at will, almost constantly for well over an hour from me arriving to departing.

I saw one which I estimated to be nudging four pound and numerous other big ones in addition to fish of just a few ounces also having a go.

I've read about fry preoccupation with both perch and pike and true to the theory there were three guys with small (but not fry) lives out who couldn't raise the slightest bit of interest despite being right on top of them :confused:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Steve,

I had two perch smashing into minnows at my feet on the River Wye. I looked down to estimate one of them circa 4lbs, it was a real Chief Brody "need a bigger boat" moment.

That was a truly big perch - and very, very impressive :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Scores on the doors.

s63 3lb:10.

Bob Horngold 3lb:6

Binka. 3lb:2

John Step. 2lb:13

Neil 1970 2lb:12

Roughly 10 weeks to go to catch a proper one. ;)

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Steve,

I had two perch smashing into minnows at my feet on the River Wye. I looked down to estimate one of them circa 4lbs, it was a real Chief Brody "need a bigger boat" moment.

That was a truly big perch - and very, very impressive :)

I had a perch of a pound or so on a little black Mepps, on the Ure. The one that followed it in, though, could have swallowed it whole! It almost followed the little 'un into the net. The river was flogged to a foam for the next couple of hours, without so much as a sniff. :( Never had a perch much over two pounds - so I'm not in a position to guess - but this one was twice that size, by eye.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Rob,

I'm really lucky to have seen that behaviour twice, once on the Thames too. I could not believe the speed perch can move at.

That said, I've released chub which have taken off like a scalded Ferrari.

I guess it would be the pike but I wonder which fish are the Usain Bolt of the river? :)

B

binka

Perch don't have that streamlined, fast look about 'em but they can move like lightening when it suits 'em.

I'm fascinated by other peoples reports of what I too have witnessed before, namely this fry frenzy type of feeding, very large and usually elusive perch seem to be completely uninhibited when doing it and nothing, but nothing else, seems to get their attention.

During the same walk the other day I watched one fish of a couple of pounds plus shoot like an arrow in a bolt rigid body type manner, it's pectoral fins folded right down along it's flank to improve it's hydro-dynamics as it broke the surface of the water in a bolt straight line towards a shoal of fry.

Amazing natural behaviour.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I wonder if this is when one of those extraordinarily realistic little dropshotting minnow/fry patterns might work ? Lob it out in the area and fish it static ....just a few taps on the rod butt to make it wriggle a bit.

When trout are on the fry a floating " stunned" fry pattern fished dead drift can work. Only time I tried it among bow waving fry feeders it was taken straight away...by a perch !