How did you get on?

lakhyaman

Reaction score
That fish does look like it can fight :eek:. It must have tested your barbel rods metal...I have a pair of those rods which are unused as of yet but you have showed me they're very capable rods :cool:.
If ever fancy some company on your lake, put me down first! :wh:D.

Just buy a ticket to Dhaka, Bangladesh and the rest is on me. There are cheap flights on Bangladesh Biman non stop to Dhaka. You can pay by teaching me how to trot a river. Mind you some of ours are up to eight miles wide!

All FM members are welcome.

All the best

Lakhyaman

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just buy a ticket to Dhaka, Bangladesh and the rest is on me. There are cheap flights on Bangladesh Biman non stop to Dhaka. You can pay by teaching me how to trot a river. Mind you some of ours are up to eight miles wide!

All the best

Lakhyaman

Thanks for that, but watch out Lakhyaman, I might just take you up on that!
I'd love to teach you how to trott but I don't think my Wallis cast would reach the other side of those rivers LOL.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had the last two hours of daylight this afternoon roving the river with the float rod. I covered quite a distance and fished a number of swims also. I dropped into a swim and trotted through it, if I hadn't caught anything after several trots through I moved on, if I did catch then i'd stay until the bites stopped coming after which the usual few trots through with no interest prompted me to move on to the next spot. I had a productive little session and had a good number of chub to about 2 1/2 lbs and several monster dace. The dace did come as a surprise as by this time of the year they've usually migrated way down river.

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score

All the best

Lakhyaman

Sounds like an interesting "fish-in" Better start saving now :)

seth49

Reaction score

Back on our fishery today, haven’t been for a while due too various reasons, nice day to be out, sunny and warm, a pleasure to be out, put carp rod in margin as a sleeper, and tackled float rod up with a float I’ve had for years, normal waggler , and it incorporates a small maggot feeder, so fishing maggot on the hook about two foot deep, and maggots dropping down from the feeder, it worked well today, had a total of thirty fish, a mixture of roach, and skimmers, with a few small perch.

Best roach about eight ounces, missed a lot of bites, very quick,probably small roach, certainly got more bites fishing fine, eighteen hook to two pound hooklength,

Had a robin sat on the float rod twice, pity I couldn’t get a photo, it kept coming for maggots,there getting fairly tame now, nice to be out again, enjoyed it.?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tigger, did you get any pics of these mega dace?

No Dave, I didn't. It isn't unusual to catch larger dace from the rivers where I fish and so I (and most others) don't really get excited over them.

skov

Reaction score
I had a handful of maggots to use and an hour to spare last night, so thought I'd try to tempt a chub out of a local side stream of the Great Ouse.
I was fishing a biggish hook with a bunch of maggots on, lobbed under an overhanging willow tree.
Half an hour in I started to get some taps and knocks, but could connect with anything. I thought it might be small fish and was just considering swapping for a smaller hook when the tip wrapped round and I struck into something.
Whatever it was screamed off downstream. Hmm, didn't seem like a chub. It then shot upstream and leapt into the air in front of me. Definitely not a chub!
I was still puzzled right up until the point I pulled the landing net out of the water and realised I'd caught my first trout! Had no idea there were any in there!

a4NEkSsuIfPQer33OKSW-NykA0toyqkHbLvwlbvNuEMIM6mx5XY7dVvEm1s6C2z-MPOZwI1U8ByD4HKBMu3tiyzOCnc7cQokcD6xzbNh27bb7921tUpRnMzD0togS6HhylB0ZCc0was

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had a spare hour yesterday whilst on taxi duties, dashed off to the pool after dropping off at the hospital.

Early days learning how to fish for pike , had just one take...
The current score reads

John 1. Pike 1

Struck a tad too early:eek:mg:

0uhjXkN.jpg

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
That's interesting John, I was planning on hooking the bait up the other way. That is, up through the jaw and out between the eyes.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's interesting John, I was planning on hooking the bait up the other way. That is, up through the jaw and out between the eyes.

Ralph.
Don't imagine it would make any difference Ralph, I'd actually prefer to hook it through the tail end but it was ripping out, next step, hair rigging.

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Don't imagine it would make any difference Ralph, I'd actually prefer to hook it through the tail end but it was ripping out, next step, hair rigging.

I don't suppose it does; I just had not given it any thought. Yes, I think hair rigging is the way to go, especially with the softer fish... I may find out next week, with a bit of luck!

Ralph :)

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
You need to hair rig when using circle hooks otherwise you lose out on hooking potential as the hook can't turn as intended.
Oh, and in case you were unaware, no striking, just let the line tighten and the fish hook itself.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't suppose it does; I just had not given it any thought. Yes, I think hair rigging is the way to go, especially with the softer fish... I may find out next week, with a bit of luck!

Ralph :)
I have no idea if this any help FP42 and S63 but its the way I hook sandeels, I thread the hook point through the mouth and out of the gills pulling it all the way through, line as well for about 6 to 12 inches. Then thread the hook through the belly reversed. That is, the point pointing towards the tail and bring it all the way through and round. best to do this half way along the body as it is more stable when casting.Then when you pull the line from the mouth end it all sort of rights itself, tightens and the spare line is taken up and the hook is sticking out of the belly with the point facing the head. I find this fairly stable as the line is going through half the body to the hook and not much pressure on the baits body when casting. Makes a more natural bait and with the hook half way along the body more likely to hook a grabbing fish whatever end it goes for. And trolls along without pulling the hook out from a soft mouthed bait/fish.
Although as said by Nobby, whether this negates the usefulness of a circle hook, I expect it does. But just thought I would mention it.

Last edited:
B

binka

By way of a rather general update I think I ought to point out that, barring the always pleasurable company of Sam Vimes and his rolling tackle roadshow for me to have a look at, and an equally pleasurable session with Crow on a gravel pit, my crammed in sessions have been rather mundane affairs with very little of note and even less time to spice things up to a vaguely interesting level.

Still…

The New Year is not too far ahead and the next reincarnation on some more local waters, when the books renew, is not too far ahead.

And…

I has new gear to put through its paces…

e5jygw.jpg

dorrxh.jpg

To be fair it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but seeing as it’s my third, after initially dipping my toe in two years ago, with a fourth being eagerly sought I can say they’re tried, tested and approved.

I have a funny feeling it will be getting an outing in the very near future... :w

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm suffering from a certain lethargy that often coincides with the clocks going back. I am getting out slightly more than my intermittent reports might suggest, but not a lot.

I managed to drag my backside out for a couple of hours this afternoon. winkled out seven grayling of no great size. It wasn't anything particularly inspiring. I think I'm going to have to have a change of tack.

I has new gear to put through its paces

I have a feeling that the next one might be a little harder to find.;)

B

binka

I have a feeling that the next one might be a little harder to find.;)

Yes, I agree Chris and thanks again for putting me on to that one.

I guess Cornwall is not the ideal trotting county, my Bank Manager will be in touch with you shortly :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
I had a couple of short sessions, yesterday and today. Firstly the shallow gravel section where a backwater meets the main river where I’ve had many a happy dace session, and then further along that same backwater for roach now that it’s not so choked with reeds. What a difference a couple of weeks make to the scenery this time of year.

We’re still very short of rain here with very little flow and clear water – the bottom of the main river is still very visible at full depth (around 6-7’). The back water has a bit of flow generated from a small weir about half a mile upstream.

Yesterday found the dace still in residence. Today involved a bit of leg work to take a fair few roach. Both days were windless with a mixture of sunshine a cloud and fished from 11am – 3pm.

Can't get in to postimage as there appears something 'dodgy' with the site but remembered tinypics so downloaded a couple...............

1zyhqti.jpg

102kzh0.jpg

30xipgh.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Before I begin I want to apologise to Alan Tyler for the unintended dislike I awarded him the other day. :doh:

A misty start this morning just north of Hemel. The towpath quiet and no wind to speak of...

image.jpg

Bites were slow to get started on the punch which I found a bit baffling. I've had some good days here earlier this year? After a while I cupped in a small ball of liquy bread and left it to slowly sink in the 4' of fairly clear water. As if this was a signal for a boat to come through, one did!
It stirred up a bit of colour which seemed to induce some bites though, small roach only however, where were the bigger ones?
After a while the sun burnt through the mist and it brightened up, not ideal but the roach kept coming.

image.jpg

After midday it clouded over and I anticipated some bigger roach may turn up, a switch to caster or single red just bought small perch so it was back on the punch again. Things didn't really improve until around 4pm when I actually had to use my landing net for a solitary better roach and a bigger perch on maggot...

By 4:30 I was straining to see my ultra fine cane bristle on the float so I gave up. No quality fish to speak of but a fair quantity nonetheless...

image.jpg