The use of really light (actioned) rods.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Having had the tips of a couple of light carbon 13' rods snap on me without much (or any) pressure in recent times, and hearing similar stories from the owners of much more expensive models, I'm currently using a 1970s Hardy Matchmaker (12' hollow glass) with complete satisfaction. It handles small fish and light lines very well, but seems equally at home with a 6lb line for carp to mid-doubles. Shame about the sliding reel bands, but I've not had a reel fall off yet...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have an old 12' Daiwa super sensor rod, that is good rod were there is chance of a bonus fish,
The Drennan crystallite is for small fish venues teamed up with reel with 2lb line and 1.8lb hooklength,
David has the line accidentally wrapped round the tip as you have cast out ? and not noticed until you reeled in.?
Where in Cheshire are you ? and would you like to join our little group on fishing various venues around the area ?
nothing serious just a get together.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Philip hi. I keep thinking about this rod. I googled it and one of the results was on here where itsfishingnotcatching reccommended the exact same rod to me and you yourself mentioned you'd just bought one. Suggest a really light rod that folds down to 3ft or less

How light is the action? Since restarting fishing last year most of my warm weather fishing has been roving my very local river for chub and perch. Light lure rod. Worms and small lures, every swim is different but my favourite swim is a bit of a parrot cage and 8ft is the absolute max for a rod there. The swim is a gift from heaven because 9/10 passing anglers give it a miss.

Took the greyhound down there today, trying to train it to be my fishing dog. Took some bread and soon found dozens of chub going nuts for it, saw nothing much bigger than a pound but it didn't half get my heart going. Through in half a slice and it disappeared and then floated back up with a perfect cookie cutter bite removed. Five weeks to go.

Yes anyway, fish average a pound, 5lber would be exceptional. After a chub or two i'm happy to catch 4oz fish for the rest of the day, on a 10g lure rod they're still good fun.

nottskev

Reaction score
Having had the tips of a couple of light carbon 13' rods snap on me without much (or any) pressure in recent times, and hearing similar stories from the owners of much more expensive models, I'm currently using a 1970s Hardy Matchmaker (12' hollow glass) with complete satisfaction. It handles small fish and light lines very well, but seems equally at home with a 6lb line for carp to mid-doubles. Shame about the sliding reel bands, but I've not had a reel fall off yet...

Good for you! They were classy rods. I had a lovely Hardy glass Avon from that time. And the guff some people talk about sliding bands..... makes you wonder how **** Walker, Ivan Marks or Kevin Ashurst ever caught anything. Surely their reels were falling off all the time? I've had crappy screw seats taken off otherwise good rods in order to retro-fit sliding bands.

sam vimes

Reaction score
And the guff some people talk about sliding bands..... makes you wonder how **** Walker, Ivan Marks or Kevin Ashurst ever caught anything. Surely their reels were falling off all the time?

Unless you go right back to well used sliding metal bands (exacerbated on rods with poor quality duplon handles), I've never had a issue with reels falling off. I just don't like the way sliding bands feel in hand. It was never a problem when that was all I had, but there's no going back for me.

Philip

Reaction score
Philip hi. I keep thinking about this rod. I googled it and one of the results was on here where itsfishingnotcatching reccommended the exact same rod to me and you yourself mentioned you'd just bought one. Suggest a really light rod that folds down to 3ft or less

How light is the action? Since restarting fishing last year most of my warm weather fishing has been roving my very local river for chub and perch. Light lure rod. Worms and small lures, every swim is different but my favourite swim is a bit of a parrot cage and 8ft is the absolute max for a rod there. The swim is a gift from heaven because 9/10 passing anglers give it a miss.

Took the greyhound down there today, trying to train it to be my fishing dog. Took some bread and soon found dozens of chub going nuts for it, saw nothing much bigger than a pound but it didn't half get my heart going. Through in half a slice and it disappeared and then floated back up with a perfect cookie cutter bite removed. Five weeks to go.

Yes anyway, fish average a pound, 5lber would be exceptional. After a chub or two i'm happy to catch 4oz fish for the rest of the day, on a 10g lure rod they're still good fun.

Hello Dave, its light but has a bit of backbone as well. Lines up to about 4lb I think its ideal. I know the river that they designed it to be used on and its basically a tiny chalkstream, inches deep in places and with Dace, Roach, Chub of a similar size to what your river has.

They say it can be used as a drop shotting rod as well and it comes with 2 tips one a standard quiver and the other with higher standoff rings that they say you can use for dropshotting and float fishing and I dont think there would be any issue flicking out small lures with it.

I am using it mainly for Roach fishing but I know I will connect with Chub as well, I would be reasonably confident of landing fish up to abut 5lb on it but I would not intentionally use it for bigger fish. The reason I got it is because its folds down very small and is ideal for living in the boot of your car for say a quick after work session.

From what your describing it sounds like it could be a good fit for you but of course its difficult to be certain. Not sure if you live anywhere near the Tackle box but they are a helpful bunch and you can give it a waggle if you drop in.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
David has the line accidentally wrapped round the tip as you have cast out ? and not noticed until you reeled in.?
Where in Cheshire are you ? and would you like to join our little group on fishing various venues around the area ?
nothing serious just a get together.

Hi Mark - I don't think the problem was caused by wrap-arounds, as most of the light float fishing I was doing with those rods was literally a rod's length out, involving an underhand swing rather than an actual cast. I'm actually in the "Deep South" of Cheshire, right on the border with Staffordshire, and only fish a few club waters within 20 minutes of home these days but thanks for the invite! :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hi Mark - I don't think the problem was caused by wrap-arounds, as most of the light float fishing I was doing with those rods was literally a rod's length out, involving an underhand swing rather than an actual cast. I'm actually in the "Deep South" of Cheshire, right on the border with Staffordshire, and only fish a few club waters within 20 minutes of home these days but thanks for the invite! :)

"The Deep South " of Cheshire ?....... that's where they go round saying "Give me a high six " :wh

nottskev

Reaction score
Unless you go right back to well used sliding metal bands (exacerbated on rods with poor quality duplon handles), I've never had a issue with reels falling off. I just don't like the way sliding bands feel in hand. It was never a problem when that was all I had, but there's no going back for me.

Indeed. I'm sure we all use what we like, if we have a preference either way. My point was just prompted by noticing that the idea that reels fell off rods with sliding bands is becoming established as a "factoid" in some quarters, when, of course, they didn't. Not in your posts, I hasten to add!. I think the cork handle + bands provided a beautiful look and hand-hold for many rods; cheap screw fittings and foam are in many cases an ugly replacement that feels naff. Myself, I do prefer screw seats on barbel rods, since these fish pull so hard and have the rod bucking and twisting in your hand, and you need a more secure fitting. The day that happens to me with roach and bream, I'll a) change my reel fittings b) phone Angling Times. :)

Another Dave

Reaction score
Philip, thanks for the detailed reply. Just one more question for now. When you say:

The reason I got it is because its folds down very small and is ideal for living in the boot of your car for say a quick after work session.

could you be a love and tell me what the collapsed length is please?

Philip

Reaction score
Philip, thanks for the detailed reply. Just one more question for now. When you say:

could you be a love and tell me what the collapsed length is please?

Just measured it Dave...99cm.

Keep in mind its obviously a rod made to a price so its not a mega top quality rod and the rod bags a bit of a joke but basically it does what it says on the tin. It sounds to me like it could be a good fit for the fishing you describe.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Something is on its way to me.

giddy.png

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Indeed. I'm sure we all use what we like, if we have a preference either way. My point was just prompted by noticing that the idea that reels fell off rods with sliding bands is becoming established as a "factoid" in some quarters, when, of course, they didn't. Not in your posts, I hasten to add!. I think the cork handle + bands provided a beautiful look and hand-hold for many rods; cheap screw fittings and foam are in many cases an ugly replacement that feels naff. Myself, I do prefer screw seats on barbel rods, since these fish pull so hard and have the rod bucking and twisting in your hand, and you need a more secure fitting. The day that happens to me with roach and bream, I'll a) change my reel fittings b) phone Angling Times. :)

I gott'a addmitt Kev, i've had reels fall off rods with reel ring holders. A m8 of mine had a much loved drennan im8 super feeder that he used a lot whilst bream fishing in Ierland and i've seen him driven to distraction as his reel was constantly coming loose and at worst falling off!
He finally had enough of the problem and had a fuji screw down reel seat fitted and the problem was solved.
I still have several or more rods with reel ring holders and they all work ok as the corks are still like new. To be sure that a expensive reel doesnt fall off and get damaged when using the rods I add a strip of insulation tape behind the bottom ring, its not intrusive in any way and gives peace of mind.

nottskev

Reaction score
I gott'a addmitt Kev, i've had reels fall off rods with reel ring holders. A m8 of mine had a much loved drennan im8 super feeder that he used a lot whilst bream fishing in Ierland and i've seen him driven to distraction as his reel was constantly coming loose and at worst falling off!
He finally had enough of the problem and had a fuji screw down reel seat fitted and the problem was solved.
I still have several or more rods with reel ring holders and they all work ok as the corks are still like new. To be sure that a expensive reel doesnt fall off and get damaged when using the rods I add a strip of insulation tape behind the bottom ring, its not intrusive in any way and gives peace of mind.

Good to hear from you. I agree some rods seem to have inferior cork that compresses down and makes a loose fit. And I'd admit I reeled in a few Irish bream with my fingers holding rod and reel together - iirc the culprit was a Daiwa Amorphous 11/13 - with one of those fussy handles with thick bits, thin bits, wide bits, flat bits...... The reel bands ended up loose and I had to wrap the cork in insulation tape for want of a better solution in deepest Galway. Most of my older rods, though, are still fine and reliable.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. I agree some rods seem to have inferior cork that compresses down and makes a loose fit. And I'd admit I reeled in a few Irish bream with my fingers holding rod and reel together - iirc the culprit was a Daiwa Amorphous 11/13 - with one of those fussy handles with thick bits, thin bits, wide bits, flat bits...... The reel bands ended up loose and I had to wrap the cork in insulation tape for want of a better solution in deepest Galway. Most of my older rods, though, are still fine and reliable.

I think the reels foot can often be too small or just the wrong shape to work well with reel ring holders. I have some centrepin reels that just jell with them and are soild on the handle, I also have others that are just too narrow and so when I strike the reel foot can slip sideways on the handle. In those circumstances you could say the gap in the holder is too wide or the reel foot is too narrow lol.
As I said I have a few rods with sliding reel bands and unless I really had to i'd much prefer to keep the rods original. I do like to use them but need to pair the right reels with them, my CL pins are usually a perfect jell with them :).