Bargains. Let us know.

nottskev

Reaction score
Cheap poles at long lengths are nobody's idea of fun, and I very much doubt, from your posts and the places you like to fish, that this would be your cup of tea.

But you can do a lot of things with a few sections of a pole, even if it's grim at full length. If you've ever found yourself thinking any of these: if only I could drop in right next to those reeds, bushes etc without casting into them; if only I could hold my float out still a bit further in the flow; if only I could put my bomb/rig in a little cup and place it next to x, y, or z, then you may well find 5, 6,7 or 8m of this will open up some opportunities.

There's no need to bother with all the pole paraphernalia. Once you've got a mid-strength elastic fitted, you can rig up with any small floats you fancy. I've got untold pole floats but all kinds can be put to use and it's surprising what you can do with a few bits of peacock quill.

For that price, it's worth the experiment.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Right, that's nice to know, if it is still there tomorrow I will buy it, too wet and cold today to bother walking along the sea front, it is at the other end of it. I am thinking of a river I fish, 6ft to 30ft across, in places hard to fish because of bankside vegetation, you have probably seen a few pictures of it on the HDYGO thread. Maybe this will reach the far bank and could be fished over the vegetation. Maybe not how they are used, I don't know but could work in my minds eye. I will sort out the elastics and extras when I know more. I will check it is all there first as well, just a cursory look yesterday. Thanks for the help.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Right, that's nice to know, if it is still there tomorrow I will buy it, too wet and cold today to bother walking along the sea front, it is at the other end of it. I am thinking of a river I fish, 6ft to 30ft across, in places hard to fish because of bankside vegetation, you have probably seen a few pictures of it on the HDYGO thread. Maybe this will reach the far bank and could be fished over the vegetation. Maybe not how they are used, I don't know but could work in my minds eye. I will sort out the elastics and extras when I know more. I will check it is all there first as well, just a cursory look yesterday. Thanks for the help.
What size of fish are you targeting? As long as they are not large chub and barbel you should be okay.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
What size of fish are you targeting? As long as they are not large chub and barbel you should be okay.
Mainly chub and roach, nothing over 5lb. I have one or two tench along here and bream 3-4lb-ish but very scarce. A couple of sea trout but 3-4lb. So, nothing big, I have always thought there might be a 2lb roach along the stretch and maybe with a pole I might be able to fish in a few spots not tried before and presentation a bit better. No barbel, possible river carp but unlikely so wouldn't worry about them. Some barbel were released in the river about 20 or 30 years ago but no one ever saw them again. Its more an interesting stretch than the size of fish, that's how I find it. Plenty of variation. Its at a point were the river changes from wide-ish and open-ish to narrow and twisty so it can be fished in different ways. Rolling leger when it is flooded, float, fly in the summer but never tried a pole, will probably give it a go, if it did produce the elusive 2lb roach, £12 will be worth it, it is probably there in my imagination only, but I will treat myself to a small celebration, only been trying for 40 odd years. Not so much on my bucket list as my coffin lid, be nice if it was nailed down and I had a smile on my face, I will want a picture of it on my gravestone and my coffin lid...Anon...

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No tip sections, 7 pieces about 5ft long that fitted together to around 35ft but that was it. Shame, but I will look out for a cheap one as I have some ideas for one now, be interesting to try them out.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
No tip sections, 7 pieces about 5ft long that fitted together to around 35ft but that was it. Shame, but I will look out for a cheap one as I have some ideas for one now, be interesting to try them out.
You can buy universal top kits, but I’d give it a miss if there are not any included. There are lots of cheapish starter poles on the market, you would probably be better off with one of those.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You can buy universal top kits, but I’d give it a miss if there are not any included. There are lots of cheapish starter poles on the market, you would probably be better off with one of those.
Thanks, I think your right, I only want something that I can do a bit dangling and dabbing along an overgrown river; nothing too serious so, don't want to spend a lot. I will look into a cheap version and take it from there. Something about 20+ft should do it and I only want one tip really. I have a well stocked tackle shop near me, I will have a look there first and no rush, this will probably be a summer thing.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Thanks, I think your right, I only want something that I can do a bit dangling and dabbing along an overgrown river; nothing too serious so, don't want to spend a lot. I will look into a cheap version and take it from there. Something about 20+ft should do it and I only want one tip really. I have a well stocked tackle shop near me, I will have a look there first and no rush, this will probably be a summer thing.
When I returned to angling I bought a cheap 11m Ron Thompson ‘Gangster’ pole. Was around £65 with 2 top kits. Not great but perfectly useable at shorter lengths.

Multiple top kits enable you to have different rigs set up and quickly change presentation. Massive advantage over rod and line and something you will only appreciate after you have got used to the luxury!

Philip

Reaction score
Assuming the sections are not cracked for £12 I would snap it up. There are loads of applications for a 12m carbon pole even if its useless for fishing with.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Assuming the sections are not cracked for £12 I would snap it up. There are loads of applications for a 12m carbon pole even if its useless for fishing with.
Actually, I did think of offering them a fiver and use the sections cut down to post fishing rods in. There might also be a landing net pole in there somewhere. I might be going down to the tackle shop today to see what cheap poles they have and this secondhand place is round the corner, I will have a think about it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You are right and I did snap it up for £6 in the end, the nice cloth rod bag is probably worth that.
The cheapest one in the tackle shop was £80, make was Gamboucini or something like that, 8 meters and one tip. The bloke in the shop said it would be ideal for my roach and chub and small carp, however they always say that! I asked him about universal tip sections and he said they are £45-£50. Anyway I will think about that but I have 35ft of pole now and I might be able to work something out with that once I understand them more with a bit of research. Pleased with the six quid though, I explained some it was missing, would he reduce the price, expecting £10 so; when he said £6 I didn't argue.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score

Attachments

• EB4AA51A-23DA-4AA6-B1B5-FA980D898DB4.png
    EB4AA51A-23DA-4AA6-B1B5-FA980D898DB4.png
    750 KB · Views: 30

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Cheapest I can find on eBay……
Thanks for looking, that is really useful, I have had a look and I am not sure which one, they do a 20mm side carp, the one in your picture, they also do a "pole fishing power top 2 kit with size 16 elastic fitted" this is £34.25 and this one is 18mm, what would be best for say for river roach and chub(the chub rarely go over 4lb) and my pole. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12547052...oUJC89NTvEkn3p9Uv0dvao5aQ=|tkp:Bk9SR8rmto2nYQ

@Clive

Reaction score
This whole pole malarkey has always had me bamboozled. I had a cheap 8m pole out in Cyprus for harbour fishing for mullet. It was useful to be able to keep the fish away from the mooring ropes so I get that aspect. It is the different tops and connections that I don't get. The poles that I have all have elastic running through the top section. However, they aren't long enough to reach over the marginal weed, and the ones in the shops that are long enough don't have hollow tips so you can't thread elastic through. And there is no loop to fasten line to!

I went onto angling direct and looked up the pole fishing advice and it was like going on one of those computer helplines. If you understood the bloody jargon you wouldn't need to be on the helpline in the first place. Red, yellow, pink, hollow, solid, hybrid elastic means nothing to me. What I want to know is what rig equates to a 3lb hook link? Why they no speaky Engrish?

nottskev

Reaction score
Looking at the big rush beds on that narrow river stretch you posted about, I'd say you definitely need some beefy elastic and a strong ("power") top kit. A lot of anglers set up for biggish carp with relatively soft elastic, let the fish run out and then "reel" them back with a puller kit. But that won't work on your river as even 2 or 3lb chub will be into the rushes in a flash and digging their way in. You'll need a set up to stop them and move them your way from the off. Something like the 16 elastic is probably right. unfortunately, it will be pretty brutal for roach and may bump some fish off. In more open water, you can get away with a lighter set up. If you get into the whole idea, you'll probably want to get two top kits to give you more options.

This bloke is a proven expert in this type of thing. I'm thinking you'll be fishing a shorter pole, and probably needing heavier gear, but you'll get the gist of trying to catch chub off the snags on the far side.

nottskev

Reaction score
This whole pole malarkey has always had me bamboozled. I had a cheap 8m pole out in Cyprus for harbour fishing for mullet. It was useful to be able to keep the fish away from the mooring ropes so I get that aspect. It is the different tops and connections that I don't get. The poles that I have all have elastic running through the top section. However, they aren't long enough to reach over the marginal weed, and the ones in the shops that are long enough don't have hollow tips so you can't thread elastic through. And there is no loop to fasten line to!

I went onto angling direct and looked up the pole fishing advice and it was like going on one of those computer helplines. If you understood the bloody jargon you wouldn't need to be on the helpline in the first place. Red, yellow, pink, hollow, solid, hybrid elastic means nothing to me. What I want to know is what rig equates to a 3lb hook link? Why they no speaky Engrish?

The ones without hollow tips sound like whips - fished with a long line for small fish and cushioning shock with just their flexibility.
There are general guidelines for matching line to elastic. The picture is complicated by the differences between solid, hollow and so-called hybrid elastics, and by the extra dimension of puller kits used to shorten softer elastics while playing fish.

Do you have a particular scenario in mind, Clive, for your 3lb hooklength example? If you do, it would be possible to answer more specifically what would be a balanced set up.

no-one in particular

Reaction score

I concur with you, just been looking at some google stuff, its like learning to fish all over again. I am not trying to be Bob Nudd, I am pure stone age, give me a bit of wood and a bit of bread and I am happy. Never the less I "might" persevere but a few rod tubes and a landing net handle is beginning to look a lot happier, I guess what I am after taking into account what Notskev said is a bit of elastic that I can tie on the end with a maximum stretch of about 3-4ft and won't break, you would think that wouldn't be difficult but it is! I might try confused dot com or fishing explained to knuckle draggers.

Last edited: