Grange over Sands

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Going on my holiday to GoS. Been thinking for ages of doing some beach fishing but never get round to it (coarse fisherman usually). Can anyone recommend somewhere near GoS to start?

TIA

M

Islander

Reaction score
Arnside is probably your best bet, look on this forum for previously posted threads.

chris hall

Reaction score
hello mathew,just round the corner is holker hall,the estuary there is fishable and is predominently flounders.the land is private but you can get permits from the caravan park.But if you want to fish hassle free,as islander says,arnside would be the best place to go.There is a good tackle shop in grange, and an even better one in ulverston called rods'n'sods.
cheers, chris

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounds good.

Couple of questions please Chris.

Does Holker Hall do coarse fishing as well?

If I persuade the missus to let me buy a beach rod and reel what sort am I looking at for that area? We live in the NW anyway so I'm hoping it will be a chance for me and my lad to get into some sea fishing as a regular thing.

TIA

M

chris hall

Reaction score
hya matt. there is no course fishing here that I know of.There is the canal at ulverston which I think you can get day tickets for from rods and sods. he might be able to put you onto some other course fishing waters or even some marks foor the sea or on one of the lakes, I fish coniston alot for the pike and there are alot of perch and trout in there also.
As far as rods for the sea are concerned, a bass rod would do for places like holker hall and arnside as you dont need anything too poky.reel wise a bigish carp reel will do with 15lb line and a 50lb shock leader just for safety. you dont need heavy leads at holker or arnside once the swell has stopped.If you want to do sea fishing on a regular basis, you could go for some thing in the 4 to 6 ounce casting range with a softish tip for those estuary flatties.If theres anything else you want to know,I will try to help. I too live in the north west,I live near chorley now but im originally from fleetwood.

gazzaoco2010

Reaction score
witherslack hall tarn

Going on my holiday to GoS. Been thinking for ages of doing some beach fishing but never get round to it (coarse fisherman usually). Can anyone recommend somewhere near GoS to start?

TIA

M

witherslack hall tarn i ok but pick nice spot not deep loads lilly pads
pegs are the best ive fish off but the roads are the worst in the world

jcp01

Reaction score
Matthew, I've fished Arnside couple of times and it's good fun on light tackle. As Chris has said, you don't want heavy gear as it just spoils the enjoyment, a carp rod is OK, even a heavy feeder or barbel rod will do. Heavy line is not required and neither are heavy leads or big casts , the fish can be caught just a few yards out and two ounces will hold bottom no problem.

Hooks need to be on the small side as it's flatties what you are after and they do run big here (not that I've hooked one!) so a size six up to a one would be right.

Baits is rag or lug, fresh or black. Frozen black will do and stinky old lug is not to be thrown away either, they like it!

The majority of the tide here is a slow ebb with water falling and creating a quite strong flow twenty to thirty yards out especially at the beach at the end of New Barns Road, but then the tide turns and all is still for a short time till the tidal bore starts and a horn is sounded in town to clear tourists off the sands and then its time to either seek a place on the pier or pack up. It comes in extremely quickly and fills up the estuary in no time, quite impressive actually.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Some decent coarse fishing at Crooklands, Lancaster canal ,tackle shop kendal tickets,but its a bit of a trek from grange .unless you go across the sands(joking lads do not attempt without Cedric Robinson)
Flat fishing with coarse gear like suggested might be a better option .