Trent Pollution - Petition the Prime Minister

Reaction score
Done...any chance of getting this up as a banner headline at top of home page for us and Fish and Fly

(indeed any way of getting our techie to arrange it so that once you log on you can't get off until you've signed the petition..or have already signed it....there are some things more important than free will!!)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,

The picture that appears on your blog; is that actually from this incident or is it a 'library' picture?

The reason I ask is that, despite all the media's words, I haven't yet seen a picture from the affected stretches of the Trent.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Mark,

The picture that appears on your blog; is that actually from this incident or is it a 'library' picture?

The reason I ask is that, despite all the media's words, I haven't yet seen a picture from the affected stretches of the Trent.

No, Peter. I nicked it from an enviro website, and it's somewhere abroad. But you're right; local newspapers have never been so lazy

Dave Lumb

Reaction score
Trent%5Ffish%5Fkill%5F081009b%2Dwidth240%2Ejpg

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burtonmail-news/displayarticle.asp?id=455078

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Well done Graham, (and Mark of course) the more it is publicised the more chance we have of getting something done - eventually. Its just a pity our noble dailies are engrossed with MP's expenses for their headlines, they could achieve something much more worthwhile by having a good old rant about the pollution incident and our rivers in general.

Whilst I was on the committee of our local angling club we had a poisoning of the small stretch of canal in Lydney that empties into the Severn. This was the third time the guilty company had perpetrated such an act and it resulted in us losing the bulk of the fish in said canal, carp to over 30lb, bream to 10lb, roach to 2lb, perch and pike as well, all killed by wanton negligence. They were made to pay our club the princely sum of £1200 in the way of replacement fish which we never saw (though the EA said they had put them in) and how much was the fine? Nothing, just a warning - for the third time. Now tell me they care.

Last edited:

klik2change

Reaction score
It took decades from the first notion of putting irresponsible company directors in the dock, for killing their employees and innocent members of the public, by negligently hazardous behaviour or dangerous incompetence. There have indeed been some prison sentences, though fines for injury are still far too low.

There will therefore be some resistance within the legal establishment to imprisoning polluters. However, that need not stop us coming up with a working figure to suggest to our lords and masters.

What about:

-The cost of cleaning up thoroughly
-the cost of replacing destroyed wildlife
-a punishment fine of TEN times the total of the above.

That should sting a bit.:D

I will be suggesting that to my MP.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've just written to my MP about this case and about the pitiful sentences inflicted.

He's standing down at the next election, but hopefully he will pass it on to other members of the house.