Trent Pollution - Petition the Prime Minister

A

alan whittington

Peter,i showed my father-in-law this post today,he doesnt fish,but he was infuriated and signed immediately,but prey tell how do people find out about these other petitions,as we need to use such a medium.There's only 1052 now for christ's sake.

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The editorial in November's CAT would open a few eyes...if only it was made more public!!

It's about the 3-4000 combined sewer outflows (CSO's) that exist and pump raw sewage into our waterways following a period of rain!

Apparently, (Anglers Trust) Fish Legal pressured the EA to impose restrictions to bring their use in line with regulations.
CSO's were allowed "temporary"consents 20years ago!
Guess what, the big water companies have appealed against the EA's tightening of the regulations!!!:mad:

Fish Legal are on top of it with the Secretary of State

A

alan whittington

Got my mag today and read the afore said article Fred,but its quite common knowledge amongst anglers(ive been telling non-anglers that i know for years).'The bad one' has mentioned it many times on site as have i,the trees along the Thames where i fish is one long roll of used 'bog-roll' after a flood,god knows how many tons of s**t goes through it,it has been the same for many,many years,apathy rules Fred,you know how it is.:(

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been reading so much stuff lately, i knew I'd seen it somewhere, glad it was ol' Phil (Bad One)

Apathy...apathy?
Where have I heard that before?
Ah I know:wh ,some people don't think it exists:(

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Apathy is a word used to often just to describe someone who doesn't agree with how others see things.

History

The word "apathy" derives from the Greek ἀπάθεια (apatheia)[2]. Also meaning "absence of passion", "apathy" or "insensibility" in Greek, the term apatheia was used by the Stoics to signify a (desirable) state of indifference for what one is not responsible for (that is, according to their philosophy, all things exterior, one being only responsible of his representations and judgments). Another way of characterizing the way that the Stoics saw apathy is as "the extinction of the passions by the ascendency of reason".[3]

Many Christians believe that the concept was then reappropriated by Christians, who adopted the term to express a contempt of all earthly concerns, a state of mortification, as the gospel prescribes.[citation needed] The word has been used since then among more devout writers. Clemens Alexandrinus, in particular, brought the term exceedingly in vogue, thinking hereby to draw the philosophers to Christianity, who aspired after such a sublime pitch of virtue.[1] Macaulay referred to "The apathy of despair." Prescott described "A certain apathy or sluggishness in his nature which led him . . . to leave events to take their own course."

The concept of apathy became more well-known after World War I, when it was called "shell shock". Soldiers who lived in the trenches amidst the bombing and machine gun fire, and who saw the battlefields strewn with dead and maimed comrades developed a sense of disconnected numbness and indifference to normal social interaction.

In 1950, US novelist John Dos Passos wrote that "Apathy is one of the characteristic responses of any living organism when it is subjected to stimuli too intense or too complicated to cope with. The cure for apathy is comprehension." US educational philosopher Robert Maynard Hutchins summarized the concerns about political indifference when he claimed that the "death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment."

This is why, i feel that the word Apathy is used to often just to describe every individual who does not, Know, or think the same way, although their are obviously those that also just don't care.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Apathy, in my opinion is a poor argument for why others do not support others beliefs.

Their are some nice people on FM who i respect as individuals who have not yet joined the Angling Trust, i do not believe that they are just being "Apathetic" and i think it would be rude and an insult to them if i was to brand them so.

I dislike the way the word "Apathy" is banded around willy nilly to generalise everyone who does not support others beliefs with out even taking in to consideration as to why they don't believe it or support it.

To dismiss others reasoning as to why, is to be "Apathetic" to them, so a round and round we go argument.

Yes, i believe that Apathy does exist in some individuals and groups, but to generalise everyone as having Apathy, is a poor argument.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Once again, you are not getting the point are you.
There are those who give reasons, and there are those that don't.
Those that don't are the apathetic ones.

I bet you like the sound of your own voice too!!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting back to just why there are not all that many signatures on this petition.

Given angling media and fora probably account for less than 30% of those who bother to even buy a license, then how do we get this word out into the public domain?

Lee's idea was good; use the social networking sites, Facebook etc., another might be to send the link to everyone on your e-mail contacts list?

Maybe the Angling Trust, and/or the Angling Times/Mail could target the tackle shops to broaden the audience?

Other ideas?

J K

Reaction score
another might be to send the link to everyone on your e-mail contacts list

A sign the petition chain letter could reach a lot of people.

I used to be apathetic now I just can't be bothered. :wh:D

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I bet you like the sound of your own voice too!!!

Yes, i do actually, and i love myself as well, but at least i am open minded.

We could ask Radio Stoke and Signal Radio to broadcast on their news channel or somewhere about the petition for a day perhaps, seeing as they're the 2 main local radio stations in and around that area.

A

alan whittington

You could,but that would only bring in those affected locally,as i live a mere stones throw away in Bedfordshire i dont feel our hearing is that good,this petition needs national support,by anglers or non-anglers,whether you believe those responsible should be fined or jailed to show a united front against polluters and river killers.

A

alan whittington

Has it been mentioned in the a.press(i wouldnt know,i only buy monthly mags),if it hasnt why not,as its a free country,with nobody being forced to sign there shouldnt be an issue,our rivers and countryside is being sh**ted.The people that the A.Trust want to gather in cant be bothered to unite on this petition,lets be honest i have just recieved my AT monthly update,this petition wasnt mentioned,do you think the trust knows about it,if they do why the hell didnt they mention it,at least a few more thousand possible interested parties could get on.

A

alan whittington

Your right Fred,ive had mates who dont fish and family members sign up because they are disgusted by this pollution and yet countless apethetic anglers(my own fishing mate one of them)cant be asked,its laughable.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Your right Fred,ive had mates who dont fish and family members sign up because they are disgusted by this pollution and yet countless apethetic anglers(my own fishing mate one of them)cant be asked,its laughable.

not laughable alan its pathetic and typical of the attitude of anglers.