Which scales ?

ranger1

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies

Just a thought with digital scales it seems like if you treat them fine and don't let them get damp or get wet etc it seems like the last for a while.. I might and go ahead and buy a pair of digital scales either the korum ones or the wychwood.

Cheers

terry m

Reaction score
PS ...something else I just noticed..I did a bit of googling for a few digital scales..Korum, Salter etc ...to me they still seem big .... Surely if its digital they could make it literally tiny?...An iphone is half the size and does 1000000 x more functions .....has anyone taken apart the Korum scales ? ...whats exactly is filling up all that plastic body? ...why cant they make them literally the size of a matchbox ?

Is it simply just a case of marketing..they make it bigger so you think your getting more for your money ?

The space is taken up primarily by the battery, the grip and the display. If it was the size of a matchbox, a. you would not be able to grip it if you were weighing a large fish, and b. you would not be able to read the matchbox sized display.

There also need to be the mechanical/electronic converter module.

Philip

Reaction score
The space is taken up primarily by the battery, the grip and the display. If it was the size of a matchbox, a. you would not be able to grip it if you were weighing a large fish, and b. you would not be able to read the matchbox sized display.

There also need to be the mechanical/electronic converter module.

I appreciate you need a hook and a loop/handle of some sort but those I dont think should dictate the size of the unit itself. The LCD display does not need to be massive...I can read a calculator LCD just fine...I dont need it the size of a TV.

The convertor module I have no idea how big it needs to be ...what i do know is that they can fit an amazing amout of technology into a microchip...does a convertor module just for weighing really have to be several inches in size?

The battery...that I can appreciate might need to be bigger but couldn't it just run on the mini ones that run buzzers or in the remote of your TV ? Its hardly going to be a huge power draining device as its off most of the time.

Not knocking what your saying Terry ...your right...but I just think they could make it smaller if they wanted.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have a pair of Newsomes which have been absolutely brilliant. They are about the size of a packet of fags and don't cost much more than that either :eek:. I appreciate that you might want something a bit bigger for large fish but the size of the unit has not been an issue so far. I love the fact that it takes up no space whatsoever. I bought these on the back of very positive reviews on BFW and am very glad I did .

They seem to be of significantly better build quality than the very cheap stuff milling around but don't cost a fortune because they are "branded". Highly recommended.

mikench

Reaction score
I use an analogue set bought on the net for about a fiver which have an internal hand which is moved to the weight and which stays there until reset.

I have tested it with weights, joints of meat, and bags of sugar and it is accurate enough for me and my stage! When i am out to break a record( when Nelson gets his eye back) i will get a more accurate set.

I decided digital scales with batteries were too small and fiddly for me with cold wet hands!

steve2

Reaction score
Like many things if you outside of the tackle shop you find there are plenty of non fishing brands just as good and cheaper.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Fox digital scales are 'on' all the while, no auto shut off - digitals are much easier to use,wet the weigh sling hang it on the hook,press 'zero' then put the fish in etc etc - no needle wavering about - just be aware that some read 1.1lb others 1lb 2oz etc so it's mental arithmetic time to convert say 0.7lb to ounces.

terry m

Reaction score
I am a fan of digital scales but would concede that their main drawback is the fact that a flapping large fish creates wild deviations that lack the logic and intuition of a bouncing needle, where a 'mid point' is quite easy to determine.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am a fan of digital scales but would concede that their main drawback is the fact that a flapping large fish creates wild deviations that lack the logic and intuition of a bouncing needle, where a 'mid point' is quite easy to determine.

That doesn't happen with the better digitals. I'd presume that there's some electronic trickery going on that determines the "mid point" for you.

Keith M

Reaction score
I much prefer my Avon dial scales which unfortunately are no longer sold.
My last set lasted me for over 35 years and we're still very accurate, and the only reason I replaced them was because they were getting a bit old and scruffy and very scratched.

I did buy myself a set of Fox Rova digitals (which contrary to on another post on here do actually switch off) but I gave them to my son as I didn't trust them as much as my trusty Avons after reading reports of digitals weighing wrongly as soon as their batteries start to run a bit low. Lol

I was also bought a set of Rueben Heaton Flyweight dial scales but I put them in an old drawer with my old fishing reels as I couldn't even zeroe them properly and they felt very cheaply made compared to my Avons.

So I bought myself another pair of Avon dial scales (secondhand) off of eBay and only hope they will last me as long as my last ones did Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

ranger1

Reaction score
Hi lads

Seen one used salter electro scales 25kg used as said but looks okay for 20 quid should I get it?

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
after reading reports of digitals weighing wrongly as soon as their batteries start to run a bit low. Lol

Thats exactly my concern with digitals thats put me off so far but I dont know how true it is.

Anyone here done some actual tests of the accuracy with diminishing battery life ?

I know some of my other electrical gear can start to get a bit tempremental when the batteries begin to fade.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score

& how do I know that the accuracy has not already been impacted prior to me changing the battery ? …i.e the PB 5lb Roach I caught actually weighed 1lb 4oz.

The key was in the word DIMINISHING not DEAD battery.:eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
:confused: Carry spare batteries. Its not hard ! :eek:mg:

Totally agree S-Kippy,
BUT the problem seems to be knowing when to change the batteries!

Most battery-powered devices show a degradation in performance when batteries are getting low - e.g. the gradual lack of illumination of a torch or the total non-operation of some devices like remote-controllers or cameras - whereas the digi-scales still operate - but incorrectly - when the batteries are low!

There seems to be no warning that the battery's performance is going sub-optimal OR that it was already below-par when you weighed that monster Carp at 2.36Kg!:eek:

I guess that's the time to change the battery - when you get a measurement you don't believe!:eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
My korums have a tiny image of a battery that gets smaller as it gets lower, not had reason to doubt its accuracy yet but will keep a close eye on it.
I will also be doing a winter / summer check by placing the scales in the fridge for a few hours then checking out the weight of a given object.
later when the scales have "thawed out" I will repeat the exercise with the same object.
I understand this as been done by other guys who really do need to know what a fish weighs as accurately as possible,

greenie62

Reaction score
...I will also be doing a winter / summer check by placing the scales in the fridge for a few hours then checking out the weight of a given object.
later when the scales have "thawed out" I will repeat the exercise with the same object....

Sounds like a good testing protocol that, Mick.
Let us know how you get on! :)

May go some way to allaying people's fears on the accuracy/reliability of digis! :thumbs: