Guides on Top or Below

C

chris Brown

Please can someone tell me what difference it makes (if any) when you use a rod with the line guides on the top, rather than below the rod ?.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Assuming you're being serious, it's the same rod but held with the rings on top or with the rings underneath. You hold it with the rings on top when you're using a multiplier reel and need to thumb the spool.

C

Chris Brown

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, what I wanted to know was does it feel any different when playing a fish, or when retrieving a spinner/lure.

G

Gerry Castles

I'm a little confused here. Do you use a multiplier or fixed spool? either way you have little choice assuming you do not suffer from any physical incapacity that restricts your hand movements. It's all a question of balance really. A multiplier particularly those made for casting is small and light and sits on the top of the rod because the mechanics of casting with multipliers dictate that it is somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible to cast with the reel underneath, closed face reels being the exception. Also if you used a multiplier 'underneath' you would need to buy one which had the handle on the other side to save you having to wind 'anti clockwise' rather than the normal clockwise.
A fixed spool reel on the other hand is designed to be fitted under the rod and the design is such that it is difficult to wind if fitted above the rod, since it will not balance well and you would need to switch the handle to the other side AND wind in an anti clockwise direction.
I'm assuming that you are using a fixed spool reel, in which case the answer to your question is YES it feels entirely dfferent, cumbersome and not to be recommended. But you can easily find out for yourself. Turn the rod through 180 degrees and try using it.

G

Gerry Castles

Just had a thought. Were you thinking of fitting the rings on the opposite side to the reel, if so why ?

C

Chris Brown

Having not used a rod with a multiplier or a closed face reel I dont know if the action feels any different when using a rod with the guides up as opposed to using a rod with a fixed reel and the guides facing downwards.
All I wanted to know was if it made any real diffence as to what you can feel is going on at the business end, I assume it doesn't make any real diffence.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly now, there will be a little difference in that the legs of the rings will be bent inwards with the rings underneath and outwards with them on top. This will make a small difference to the action and feel of the rod, but not enough so you'd notice.

C

Chris Brown

I guess the question I should be asking then is whats the best type of reel for lure fishing ?
I understand that multiplier reels are more robust and better suited for the job and that fixed spool reels are more suited for lighter lures, is that correct ?.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=2069>'Fishing With A Multiplier'</a>

C

Chris Bishop

I'm still getting used to playing a fish with a lure rod/multiplier and it definitely feels different to years and years of playing them on 12ft rods with fixed spool reels.

You hold the rod differently, usually gripping the handle slightly behind the reel instead of slightly in front of it.

I always seem to be fumbling about but maybe it's just lack of being used to it.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Chris, Gerry,

I hope you don't mind me sharing the thread.

A question for Gerry, if you are still looking in.
I've just started using a multiplier with my lure set-up.
I had my first decent fish on a lure rod early in the season. I found the actual process of playing a fish extremely different from my normal F.Spool's. In fact to be honest I got in a bit of a pickle!
It felt like the multiplier was locking up.On reflection I think it may have been my 'style'. Would I be right in thinking that there is a greater need to pump and wind down, to retrieve line against a fish, than with fixed spools?

Regards Chris.

C

Chris Brown

Interesting article about multipliers Chris.

As I'm fishing on a tight budget I think I'll go for a rod/reel combo (i.e Ugly Stik & Closed face reel) and then save up for a multiplier reel.

C

Chris Bishop

I wouldn't bother with a close face. Just start with one of your normal fixed spoools but load it up with 30lbs Fireline or something.

Those closed face reels are designed for light weight american lure fishing, they probably aren't up to the rigours of piking in this country.

G

Gerry Castles

Chris Brown,
The action on an identical blank purpose built with the rings facing upward for a multiplier will be no different to that purpose built with the rings facing downward for a fixed spool reel. The small difference that might be noticed if you simply turn the rod through 180 and start casting with the rings uppermost are caused by the spline of the blank now being on the other side. The spline is the point on the blank where the wrapped carbon or glass is at its thickest and therefore stiffest. If you look at the cross section of a swiss roll you'll notice where the pastry is cut, the roll is at it's thickest, it's the same with rods (please don't take this literally, a swiss roll is a useless casting device) The rings are aligned along or opposite the spline depending upon whether it's a bait/lure casting or flycasting rod. If you get it the wrong way around then you might notice a difference, but only slightly and it's more noticeable on light/ultralite rods. Therefore if the blank is rung correctly according to the spline position there will be no difference in the action, rings up or down. Please don't buy a closed face reel unless you are intending to lure fish only for small perch or chub. The dynamics of these reels make them unsuitable for pike, they simply don't have the balls to continually handle heavy lines and big fish and the clutch will be of little value on say 30lb plus line. These reels were originally intended for what the americans call panfish-bluegills, crappie, small trout etc. They were also used by UK match fishermen in the 70s with some success. They also seem to have a limited life span.
If you are already into lure fishing with a fixed spool reel then consider a multiplier like a Badger, Banax, Marado or any of the ?30-?40 reels, that way you won't waste too much money if it's not to your liking. If you go to www.ebay.co.uk (fishing)and type ABU into the search engine you'll find a dealer with some excellent ABU Black Max right hand multipliers which will probably cost you only ?20-25. If you are coming into lure fishing for the first time then start with a fixed spool reel which you probably already have and concentrate on technique. When you are happy with that, then consider changing to a multiplier.
ie don't give yourself too much to learn at the same time. You can still use the same rod, particularly if it's a soft action rod like the Uglystik where the spline position isn't going to make any difference.

Chris Hammond,
Pump, wind and stay in contact with the fish is the name of the game particularly with the shorter lure rods, if you want to get the pike out and get it back into the water quickly. But you need to make sure the clutch is properly set up for that kind of firm action. It's seems like yours could do with slackening off just a shade. With the exception of my very light reels, the clutch on my multipliers is usually set at around 8lb pressure irrespective of line weight and that works very well on everything I catch, providing the line is at least 30lb and is in good nick. It's even more important to get it right with braid since you don't have the 'stretch' safety factor of mono. The other problem with setting a clutch to high is that on the retrieve the line goes back on the reel under excessive pressure and you may find that with the very next cast the line has bedded in.

G

Gerry Castles

Sorry Bish didn't mean to repeat your appraisal of closed face reels. Might be having a word withe your boss, you seem to have far too much time on your hands !

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Gerry,

A very informative answer and much appreciated.

I'm sure you are right about the 'clutch setting' being adrift. I normally play a fish by backwinding, with a fixed spool, with the clutch set as an absolute fail-safe. So it's a bit of a new 'science' to me.

Regards Chris

C

Charlie Bettell

You really should think about writting a book Gerry, you could complete one in about five posts (!)

Happy New Year Mate

Hope you catch the pike of your dreams this year - on the fly would be very nice!