Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Phew! I thought you may have said nosey barstd. I asked because you dont show a location on your thingy. I believe you need the weir permit for those 2 locations,or are they free? I have been exploring the fishing around there since the first lower thames champs match opened my eyes to the area, but as yet havent tried the shepperton or sunbury bit. My target fish are roach,dace and big perch, and 90%of the time I float fish.
So far I have fished staines,laleham,chertsey,walton,runneymede and kingston.and of course a very good day with a mushroom on the tidal.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Those wiers are free Peter, the Thames lock permit costs 20 something quid and allows access to Penton Hook,Molesey wierpool and a few more along the middle stretches
Mr Mushroom? yes, I do believe he is something of a 'Thames Oracle' that one.

Green Drake

Reaction score
Shepperton and Sunbury weirs are not free fishing.
You may get permits on-line on this link for these and quite a few other weirs.

Lock and weir fishing*on the River Thames

Bear in mind that many of the weirs do not allow fishing outside of the lock keepers' hours of duty and these vary according to the time of year. Quite a few "anglers" seem to think the weirs are free and that fishing through the night is OK. If you don't like the rules then don't fish the weirs.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Green drake, Blimey I thought I was a bit harsh now and again. Anyway, thanks for that info, having read about the weir ticket quite a few times before, I thought I was maybe right in my previous post. I do like rules in fishing and I wouldn't even consider fishing a weir at night . I do understand where you are coming from however.

Green Drake

Reaction score
Nothing personal old sport - just letting the shysters know how I feel about such things.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Your knowledge is lacking Nobby but I will concede that Teddington is free. Click the link and be enlightened.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I looked at the venues, they mentioned Shepperton but neglected to mention the other side of the island is public land and fished by all, as you're no doubt aware.
Sunbury has free fishing just downstream of the wier.
Teddington is also night fished.

Green Drake

Reaction score
The subject has been "WEIRS" (ie those controlled by the EA), not the far side (Weybridge bank) of the "A" weir at Shepperton.

There are two weirs at Shepperton, the A weir which is not on the weir permit and is out of bounds but if you can cast 200 yards from the free Weybridge bank then good luck to you but watch out for the canoeists slalom course. The other, "B" weir, can be fished only from a 30 yard stretch of the left bank. Downstream of the B weir and opposite are riverside houses and therefore out of bounds unless you live there or know someone who does.

There are a couple of swims on the right bank at Sunbury weir that allow you to fish the weirpool itself. Further downstream and all the way to the end of the lock island is private. On the left bank there is Wheatley's Ait (a private residential island) and then riverside houses until you get the lawn some 100 or so yards downstream of the weir.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Green Drake,
What subject, the one I mentioned earlier?
I was telling somebody where I was thinking of fishing, we are both in agreement that these places are fishable, if only from a short distance away, and I would say 100-200 yards is a short distance, but I was talking about the general area, not a precise position. After all, I'm not fishing the white water.

Peter-if you get a boat it's fine to fish just about everywhere, it's the land that's controlled by clubs,EA etc.

A

alan whittington

We used to have a couple of guys at our club (Littlemore A.S) who would target just them, and regularly return double figures. I would always go for the roach and if that failed the bleak was my last resort. I've had the pleasure of watching Hadrian Whittle fish for bleak, Awesome. He's had nets on the Wye upto 70lb!
Hadrian gets his big catches in the slacks during periods of high water i believe Alan,its also pole fishing,in yours and Peters matches weights were low and 5lb would have been a very big weight if you had asked beforehand and most swims wouldnt be capable of a fifth of that weight in those conditions.Bet it was an eye opener watching Hadrian building a weight,funny you know i always hated fishing for bleak but seemed to have a knack for catching them.;)

Had someone shot GD's dog or something,i thought it was quite a genial conversation lol,welcome Green Drake.

Mushroom,size 14's,are you living up a beanstalk(oh yes he is,oh no he isnt).

Last edited:

Green Drake

Reaction score
Peter, Thames Court hotel is indeed opposite Shepperton weir.
Apologies for coming over a bit gruff but I do fish many of the Thames weirs a fair bit and I see so much that does annoy me: litter, poor fish care, inappropriate rigs and general abuse of the pleasant fisheries and surroundings within which the weirs are situated.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
indeed widespread and soul destroying, but you have to do your own little bit to improve things, if only a single angler has his skills improved by someone taking the time to offer advice, or educated in bankside etiquette, then our sport is stronger for it, i implore everyone to converse with other anglers, help those that are new to our sport and pick up the bloody litter, if you cant spare an hour and afford a bin bag, then buy a few less floats and miss your favourite soap on the shiny square window in the corner
daz is fab

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
fished 4hrs at kingston this morning, lobbed a pellet rig to mid river and feeder fished under my feet, not a sniff on the pellets, but got done by a carp on the feeder and packed up after catching a single dace

sergioge

Reaction score
Just got back from an alright session between teddington lock and kingston,had two carp to 17lb 6oz both commons which is unusual for me its usually mirrors that i catch,5 bream and a 4lb 12oz chub, its good to see the flows picked up a bit maybe things will start picking up a bit better now. Where abouts were you fishing mushroom? ive been fishing a bit on barge walk recently,nothing too big but the carp are showing,tight lines

A

alan whittington

Ive been today on Sutton's water had 2 bream to 4.5lb and a 12oz chublet,river looked perfect with a slight colour and a nice pace,i had knocks all day(more chublets i think),i thought more bream would show,oh well.The bream were in excellent condition,god knows how as they dont seem to have opened their mouths in months.;)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
It's my birthday on Friday and I've got the morning to fish... it will have to be around Abingdon. If you had three or four hours on the thames at your disposal, how would you approach it? Rove around with worms and cheesepaste or sit it out building up a swim with maggots or hemp or pellets??? I've had a look at the river from the bridge in Oxford and it looks like float fishing might not be an option...