Particles versus Boilies?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I know we've done this to death before but every question has its place.
This debate has got to be based on time of year etc etc, but how are you fairing at the moment? whats been better for you over the last hot month or so, boilies or particles and why do you think it is the case?

F

Frothey

had more fish on corn over corn/hemp/pellet/crushed tigers, but the better fish have been on boilie

F

Frothey

why? no idea. probably down to the finely honed baiting "strategy" (ie where i can be arsed to spod some bait, then get bored and stick a couple of stringers on the other rods and go to bed!)

maybe its the special additive in the boilie only attracts bigger fish (available at ?35/100g direct from me ;) )

B

Big Rik

that's probably more to do with smaller fish being more competitive over a bed of bait, whereas bigger fish keep away from the bustle and commotion.

B

Big Rik

my choice has been dictated by those around me, I love using particles, but most of my local waters have been apodded into submission, so I've taken to using reasonable beds of boiles, with a fair degree of success.

B

Big Rik

come winter time, then I'll be on the particles again, when all the solar powered carpers have shut down for the rest of the year.

B

Big Rik

what is it with these multiple postings?

It's early, so post one thing, then think of another and post that, then realise you've forgotten something and post that too.......

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Yeah how come cakey-bakey? The reason I want your answer is based on the huge success you had on maize and tigers a season or so ago. What made you change and why do you think you're scoring more on boilies these days?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Frothey, your second answer gives the impression that you're getting in short over nighters? Is this true and how often are you getting out these days?

F

Frothey

yep, 6-6 once a week

thats why i dropped the particle....needed the sleep....

C

Cakey

Im fishing rivers at the mo so my theory is boilie flavours might travel further...........................................

C

Cakey

but then I always have stupid theories.......................................................get that in before the lurking tit does

O

Ozz

Some of the waters i've fshed for a few years now seem to be having a change in trend, in that particles would consistently take fish, but now it seems that they have started to respond better to boilies, and not necessarily beds of them. the smaller fish will still take the particle baits but the 20lb+ are now being caught on the boilie far more often.

malc

Reaction score
My choice tends to vary from venue to venue.

Generally, this time of year/currently at my syndicate water, and because I'm usually only fishing overnighters, I tend to fish boile plus a stringer of boilies or boilie and a small pva bag of pellets. Reason being everyone and their aunty used a baitboat and I'm sure the carp have clued up to the similar sized scattering of bait.

Also this gives me the option of either using the boat should I catch or spod out a small amount to keep them interested.

But again, they do not seem to respond very well to the spod, so I have to be careful there.

On another water, they seem to respond better to larger beds of bait, so i will put out plenty of particle and some pellet mixed in. There are loads of tench in this particular water, but once you get them feeding the carp soon follow! I will still use boilies on the hair.

Glenn Cowie

Reaction score
Anyone fished Grendon lakes before? Were going this weekend, looking for a few bait tips. Anyone had any sucess over there?

cheers

Glenn Cowie

Reaction score
Im not sure mate. I think so pal, im not driving!! Never been before, so dont wanna spend a sum on bait and find out no ones ever caught on it...Anything for a wee headstart! Any tips?