cheep barrow debate

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have just got myself a bedchaire and so now should I want to use it I will need to take a barrow down to my local lake it's 10 minutes walk from the house .
I normally go on my push bike but unless I can come up with a way the bedchair is not a good idea on the bike.

I have done this journey useing my standard wheelbarrow and found that my arms were aching allot and i had to stop a few times but the bedchaire was briliant and I want to use it more even for short sessions I can see the comfort value.

I do do some overnight sessions and certainly on the fens for instance distance can be expected.

So I am looking into carp barrows ,I have done a search on this site as well as all over other forums and found very conflcting opinions .

Lots of descusions on physics etc .

My experiance with a normal wheelbarrow had me thinking that a two wheel would be far better as I found myself having to put in a bit of side strain to keep the barrow from tiping a few times.

I have read people saying that single wheel is far better for rough tarain and I can see that but I have also read that if the wheel is mounted too near the middle of the barrow they become very unstable just like my wheel barrow .

I have also read that having the wheel in the middle with the weight over the axle feels like less weight on the arms.

In reviews on one site the preference is for the front wheel to be mounted sticking out the front as this made the barrows allot more stable .

I have also read that wheel sticking out the front can make it seem like a heavy load compared to wheel in the middle.

I have read plenty of people complaining about every benifit so it's hard to work out whats what stopping every few minutes is not the end of the world but getting stuck in thick mud would be.

Ideally i want to spend the least i can £50 on a barrow that is more stable than a wheel barrow does not have any serious problems like handles that can come off under load and will last me a long time I have read that standing a bed chair upside down and extending the legs will give you side rails so not bothered by those and even at this price range it is possible to get a barrow with a barrow bag atatched though i am not sure if that is an esential or not .

I am not sure about the one wheel or two debate either .

I plan on going to all sorts of venues but when out on the fens going up and down a few slopes I can remember wishing the wheel barrow was more stable ie two wheels on the other hand the turn ability of one wheel is good .
In terms of size I am in the camp that a big tool can do the job of a little tool but a little tool often can't do the job of a big tool so I don't want anything to small.
So far the runners are :all taken from ebay .

KOALA PRODUCTS Fishing Trolley Carp Loader Barrow + Bag
I like the wheel forward design ,the same one is available for 10-15 cheeper without the bag.
TFG TF GEAR HARDWEAR COMPACT CARP TACKLE BARROW
Same as above but wheel is more central
NASH H-GUN TWIN WHEEL BARROW
Bit over my price range with this badge on but same barrow different make can be had for around £50
KOALA PRODUCTS Fishing Trolley XL Carp Loader Barrow
Very simmilar to above but with bag I think this is the same as the jlc one and I have a local seller who sells them for £50 without a bag.
TF Gear Trail Blazer Wheel Barrow
Bit over my price again and i am suspisious that the wheel is a bit central but it does look very good on the tfg video.

Argos cheap as chips £40 job as far as I can tell it would do the job but it just seems that for hardly any more money I could get better.
So If you really had only £50 to spend then what do you think ??
One wheel or two ?
Not worried about bungies they are cheep enough.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i have used a 2 wheel one and found them to be difficult to control, they seem to have a mind of their own over rough ground, i would go for the single wheel every time.

syhaze

Reaction score
i've had a carp porter stalker barrow for a few years now. picked it up for about £50 new on ebay.
it's a nice bit of kit but i agree with the above comment that it's 2 wheels can make it a bit crazy over uneven ground!
i only use it when doing overnights so it's not too much of an issue tbh
but if i was going to buy one today i'd got for a single wheel version for definite

tortoise100

Reaction score
I like the bike trailers but that would only be a solution for my local lake everyware else needs the van to get me near to the venue I will still keep my eyes peeled in case I see a kiddy trailer going cheep though.

Does anybody have any opinions on these underslung barrow bags ?
looking right across the price range of barrows it seems that some of the more expensive ones are not going down that path and are more about having a mesh to stop tackle falling through this would be an easy mod on a cheaper barrow.

I suppose the temptation of having one of these bags would be to chuck stuff in it wheel barrow style and end up at the swim with unesesary stuff that is not in a proper transport bag of its own but on the other hand it is much cheeper to get one of these bags with the barrow than to try and get one afterwards.

So the idea I am getting so far is that most people who have two wheel experiance would want single wheel next time ,this suprises me from some of the reviews it would seem that lots of the single wheel barrows can be very unstable though that has to have somethng to do with the loading .

Rickrod

Reaction score
Barry the wheel looks thin so it will sink in mud and the wheel also looks small and it will jam against stones even small ones when youve got the weight of your gear on it.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Barry I think that one is this one " TFG TF GEAR HARDWEAR COMPACT CARP TACKLE BARROW" but supplied with a carry bag in the tfg picture the wheel actually looks ok but I think it would be worth the extra money to get that carry bag with it.

richiekelly

Reaction score
its also worth checking if spare tyres/tubes are readily available,my two sons have the daiwa infinity barrow and it was a pain to get tyres for them to replace the cheap ones they are supplied with that are not up to the job,i eventualy got some used mobility scooter ones from e bay,daiwa had none and the wait would have been 3 months.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have not seen a good review of the daiwa barrow they all complain about thge wheel and the stability ,now I come to compare pictures it does look very similar to this tfg /cprinus one.
Also the FOX TRAKTA BARROW gets very bad reviews.

What i find funny is that you can buy a decent wheel barrow with a large wheel for £30 yet to get a carp barrow with that sort of wheel you could be looking at £100!!!

It seems to me from all my research so far that one wheel is much better but it is also easy to end up with an unstable one if your not carefull .

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

just found this in relation to that barrow mentioned above oh dear!!
YouTube - carp barrow03.wmv

BarryC

Reaction score
Seems to fold when you dont want it to and stays put when you want it to fold.

tortoise100

Reaction score
As there is no dailog with that video it's hard to work out exactly what is going on but the fact the guy felt so p**ed of to post the video must count for something.

I wish there was an independant review for the KOALA PRODUCTS Fishing Trolley Carp Loader Barrow + Bag

At the moment this looks good to me it can't be as unstable as some of the small wheel too central type designs .

I think the conclusion I am starting to make is that more central wheel is good if it's a large wheel but if it's a small wheel then out in front is better.

my new short list is

TFG TF Gear Trail Blazer Fishing Wheel Barrow
NEW BIG CAPACITY WYCHWOOD ROVER CARP BARROW
KOALA PRODUCTS Fishing Trolley Carp Loader Barrow + Bag

The top two are starting to get into a more expensive bracket .
Reviews are not available for any of them unfortunatley .

If anybody owns one of these please let us know what they are like.

If i was starting to reach up the price spectrum and had to just go with my most trusted make it would be the korum single wheel just because I have never had anything bad by korum and most of my lugage type stuff is by them but it seems over priced compared to the competition .

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
Just discovered these
Ultimate Low Loader Trolley £49.99
Ultimate Commercial Barrow £59.99
ultimate sprinter barrow £59.99
they look very good there is a video review for one of them but at those prices they do look very tempting .

The sprinter barrow just looks like it would be very hard to beat on price or anything really it sort of combines all the best bits of loads of others. barrow bag included, monster size ,side arms rod, holdal v arm , mesh covering the bit without the barrow bag ,it folds down small and looks very stable .
this is ticking all the right boxes for me at the moment looks like it would give me all the options ,I could always ditch most of them if I didn't need them .
I have not been able to find any reviews or exact sizes for the comercial or low loader .

pelican5

Reaction score
Hi

I have a prestige mk2 fat boy barrow,i know you dont want to spend that amount of money on a barrow but its a single wide wheel and i have never had a problem with it, no tipping over to the side and very light on the arms.
i personally would go with a single wheel again if i ever need to buy another barrow.
just my thoughts on the single/double wheel debate.
the wheel sits just under the front bar.

tightlines
slatts

tortoise100

Reaction score
Thanks for the imput slatts.
As far as i can see the ultimate sprinter barrow is the prestige MK2 I suppose it makes sense to copy the best when your chinese factory askes what spec you want .
I think the prestige ones are made in the uk ? if not then it probably is the MK2 full stop.

The ultimate comercial barrow is the korum one wheel different name on it probably same factory .

This is what I mean about paying for a name in carp fishing my friend gets his own logo sown on to his carp lugage ,chairs and bivvys but they are jrc from the jrc factory some of the cheaper stuff is not the cheaper stuff.

richiekelly

Reaction score
dayglow your right about the wheels on the daiwa barrow they are rubbish,my sons has collapsed again,think the whole lot will go to the scrapman that comes round our area.

the sprinter looks to be the best i have seen for that price and certainly as good as others priced at over £100 with another name on them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm no wheelbarrow expert but I think i'd be looking at one of the TFgear one's. The tackle, bivvies, clothes etc I've had off them always comes up to scratch and I always buy through Fishtec, they don't quibble or argue the toss if you have a problem, they simply refund your coin or replace the item asap.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I would say TFG is proberbly the biggest offender in the stick your label on and double the price side of things .
That does not mean there stuff is not good just that allot of it can be had at a fraction of the cost if you hunt around a prime example is there alarms, barrows and bedchairs.
Lots of people slag of dragon carp stuff but some of there stuff is the more expensive brands with avanti printed on it ,I got a £70 daiwa 13ft power waggler (dragons name) for £20 maybe they were seconds rejected by daiwa but who knows.

richiekelly

Reaction score
your right about tfg stuff dayglow,i was looking at scales the other day on e bay [just something to do ] tfg scales £14.99 same scales without tfg logo elswhere £4.79,what a cheek.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have been researching barrows on t'internet looking for a light, small barrow for around the 50 quid mark being as I am developing an aversion to carrying me stuff any distance.

I don't need a big barrow as I am a only fishing for pleasure on a day basis, although I keep promising meself an all nighter on the club tench water one warm summer night.

The more I look at what's available and read the reviews the more I have come to the conclusion that without being able to see, touch and try the different barrows, I would have to go with a market leader that sells on quality and reputation. That blows the fifty quid budget :(

So after much deliberation and wallet searching I have just ordered a Prestige Porterlite (with free underslung bag thingy) for £69.99 plus £7 p&p.

I will let you know what I think after I have used it a couple of times.