Marker rod

B

Bob Watson

I'm loading my marker rod with the 20lb wychwood marker braid, should I bother with a few tuns of 50lb shock braid?

E

EC

What leads Bob?

For 2oz leads or a little bigger I wouldnt bother mate!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Good marker braid that. I have a shock leader on mine.

B

Bob Watson

What leads Bob?

It'll depend on the water Eddie, I think I'll put it on, I'm covered then!

E

EC

When fishing off the beach round here I generally use 40-50lb leader, normally using 4oz-5oz leads. We generally use approx 10lb of leader for every 1oz of lead, so if your leads are going to be well above 2oz then shocky it is mate!

W

You'll want a reasonably heavy lead anyhow, wouldn't use two ounces, 4 would be my choice, you want to 'feel' the bottom and you also want plenty of lead for the float to work efficiently too.

C

Cakey

Bob two spools ,one with, one without then decide on the day distance or not etc

W

Thats if you can afford two spools????

B

Big Rik

one venue I fish, which is very weedy, I use two marker rods, so would you then need 4 spools?

When me and Stu fish together, we use two marker rods for both depth and width of features.

B

Bob Watson

done it now, a rod length and a few turns on the reel of wychwood 50lb shock braid, I'll have a mess about with weight of leads.

Would pulling the braid off the clutch when letting the float up cause too much line twist?

W

"we use two marker rods for both depth and width of features."

Some of us have the ability to do that single handed, poofs like doing things together i guess!

B

Big Rik

I did say that a venue I fish I use two markers, so yes I do use two markers single handedly..... you jockey of the knob

B

Bob Watson

Would pulling the braid off the clutch when letting the float up cause too much line twist?

Sorry to interrupt you pair of tarts!!

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Negligible Bob, unless you were fishing really deep water and recasting repeatedly for a long time.

B

Bob Watson

I tend to disagree Cakey, I would think that a line pulled off the spool from under the bail arm, off the clutch, ie; as a baitrunner,(why the spin doctor was introduced) would cause more twist than from an open bail, for every pull/revolution of line from the spool there is a twist/revolution put in the line. As for winding back on, I would think that end tackle, swivels etc would keep twist to a minimum. However, I am up for debate!

It's the continual casting and pulling from the clutch whilst mapping a water I was thinking about.