Season's end - well nearly

C

Chris Bishop

Struggled again today, caught a couple but got bored by lunchtime.

Big skeins of geese going over all day, flying really high. Reckon they're flexing their muscles to migrate.

Saw two hares boxing on the floodbank as I came down the river, got within ten feet of them, they only scarpered when I lobbed the mud weight in the rushes to tie the boat up.

Spring is well and truly in the air - in the daytime at least.

Time for a rest from fishing for me, been at it since last September.

Up until Christmas it was good, as well. Caught a lot more fish than last year and plenty in the mid/upper doubles bracket.

One 20 this season and I fluked that - took the bait as I was reeling the last rod in to pack up.

Enjoyed this winter a lot, even if I blank the last few trips.

How about everyone else..?

E

EC

Ace for me, I haven't pike fished much this year but I did get a perch pb of 3LB 2oz, a pb carp and a pb tench.

L

levelspiker

absolute garbage around here for me.i haven`t been out as much as usual,but when i have its been crap.
losing a good mate made it a season to forget.

J

jason fisher

the less said the better, can't remember what a pike looks like. think i'm going to take up needlework, i won't have to freeze my nuts off to get bored out my brain then.

E

EC

I know what you mean about not getting out enough lads, its been mad here since just before xmas! Between myself, my girlfriend and the kids, someone has been ill virtually every week/weekend!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Crap for me too, overall.

Reasonable summer with p.b. Barbel, Perch and Grayling.

From October onwards though nothing apart from Grayling. Not enough rain to justify a 90 miles round trip to the river, and Pike fishing around here? there's no point any more. As for Roach; I didn't get a single one over a pound.

Roll on the Trout season

J

jon helyer

Worse season ever, new pb bream of 6.5 only real highlight, waters round here fished like the M25 most of the time. Chew a bit disappointing, and with JC's loss one to defo forget!

Roll on June...

J

jon helyer

Add to that, my whole family has been ill for virtually the whole of Feb, great!

keora

Reaction score
For me, I have had my best ever pike season this winter. I've had very few blanks, the rest of the time I've averaged about two pike per session, mainly on deadbaits. I've also done well on lures, especially by using them for brief periods while deadbaiting.

After many years of pike fishing I at last got my first twenty - it went 23lbs 4oz, and was caught on a float fished frozen pollan, in a big flood - I took it from a sheltered swim which is normally useless because its less than 2ft deep. On the day I fished it, the depth was 6ft, which made the swim worth fishing.

L

Les Clark

Nothing much to write about this year ,will get a few more sessions in before the end of March and then back to the carp .

L

Les Clark

Out tomorrow for a session now that that wind has dropped and then saturday at the fish in on the Thames at Cookham ,never had a Thames pike ,looking forward to it .

T

Tomo(b.a)

been an ok season blanked once not bad eh.been out today and i caught a 2 lb on d/b and my mrs who has never caught a pike hooked a 34.6lb female full of eggs i think,shes over the moon.
gonna try to fit a session in before the 14th.
GOT TO WIPE THAT SMIRK OFF MY MRS FACE...AAHHHHHHHH....

J

jason fisher

serves you right for taking your woman piking she'll be rubbing that in for years.
i'm jealous very very jealous.

S

stevepike

just had six blanks on the trot using deadbaits, so i said sod it and got my lures out. in two sessions total of about 2.5 hours.
had, 7lber, 7lb 8, 8lber, 11lber, 13lb 8, 15lb 4, and an 18lber

T

Tomo(b.a)

i know she beat my pb aswell so proppa pissed,but now she wants to go again and i had to explain to her that the season is nearly ended,so instead of me being gutted she is,god it was a huge fish and i surpose not bad for her 1st ever lure fishing attempt,she just shitted herself tho when i told her that she has to hold it,she looked like a new dad with a newborn scared to death in case she dropped it.

C

chris 2

Since christmas i have been fishing the upper trent. Had pike to 15 pound,alot of pike around 8.All the fish have been coverd in leeches

D

David Marrs

My worst season ever. The poor condition of the waters I usually fish have meant I have been more than reluctant to embark on the (average) 100 mile round trip to fish them. Had 2 weeks off late Sep / start of Oct, the first week was explosive with a couple of really good Zed seshes, then they just switched off! Had all last week off and didn't even venture out, this clear, cold and extremely bright weather does absolutely nowt for my fishing. I'll hopefully get a couple of days/nights out before the weekend if the weather turns a bit.

Already looking towards next season.......

C

christian tyroll

well no giangantic fish, but never the less ive had a great season, all my fishing knowledge has improved hugely, and i cant to get back out fishing again (in about 15mins :d )

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's been a mixed season for me.
I've had new pb barbel, chub and tench, but I've had plenty of blanks too.
What has been very enjoyable for me, is meeting new friends on the Trent, Stour, Somerset levels and the lakes near Maidenhead.
It's not all about catching, for me it's the social and fishing new waters.
And seeing the look on my brothers face (Jeff, who has recently returned to angling) when he caught his 6lb 5oz chub, 7lb barbel and 10lb 10oz pike.

So all in all, it's been a brilliant season for me. Let's hope the next one will be just as good.