Time to get my carp head on

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have joined a small carp fishing syndicate on a 2 acre lake about 5 miles form where I live. It has all the classic features - lilies, rushes, weedbeds. It is totally ringed by trees and contains mirrors and commons from about 12 lbs to just short of 30 lbs.

I will be doing a full recce of the water this long weekend when my access key arrives.

Tackle will not be a problem. I intend to use my 1 1/2 lb test curve FM Concepts with 12lb line. Shimano Stradics will be ideal. I have a couple of Delkims which I will use in conjunction with 4 rod rests. Don't need pods as far as I can see.

I intend to bait up with sweetcorn and mashed bread.

It looks the ideal place for floater fishing.

Any further advice will be welcome, I haven't fished seriously for carp since 1979.

C

Cakey

are you sticking with sweetcorn etc or will you be trying boilies Ron ?

R

I will be trying boilies mate. Probably Nutrabaits Trigga or something like that. I'm thinking of trying rolling my own.

I aim to buy a little chip fryer for that. I remember an old carp fishing video by Kevin Maddocks who told how to make them.

Obviously a boilie that will appeal to the fish is the way to go. I might even have a try this weekend.

R

I have caught lots of barbel on Nutrabaits Trigga so I have "faith" in them.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Are you getting a baseball cap,having a tattoo and having your head shaved too ???

Joskin

Reaction score
Don't forget to take 48 Tins of Stella with you Ron.

That seems to be a necessity when Carp fishing.

R

I don't like Stella.

A bottle of Scotch takes up less space.

R

I would have thought The Monk could have given me a few tips.

He has more carp fishing hours experience than anyone I know.

C

Cakey

trigga is good Ron,Im on solar squid and octupus at the mo and well worth a try and dont forget my favourite tigers if they are allowed

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Is it possible to get tigers from a cheaper source than the tackle shops?

I have asked at various ethnic food stores and a couple of pet shops and no one seems to have even heard of them. I'd love to try them out but I do enjoy preparing my own bait rather than spending ?10 on a jar of Dynamites best.

Ok yes I'm tight.

C

Cakey

the tigers in france last week were a lot cheaper so look in the cheap french supermarkets over here..................

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Are you getting a baseball cap,having a tattoo and having your head shaved too ???

"And why should I do that Ed?"

So you can look like your hero **** Walker--he was bald (he wore a wig)and had hidden tattoos and sometimes wore a baseball cap (when you weren't there)

R

Our local tackle shop carries the full range of Nutrabaits, Dynamite and Hutchinson boilies. Nutrabaits factory is just up the road. I must look carefully at the nature of the bottom. Pop-ups might be the way to go.

**** Walker by the way Ed, had almost perfectly white hair, even as a young man.

You don't expect me to start looking like Barney (Pop-up) Knowles do you?