Ready made Rigs-Good or Bad?

N

Nick Gardner

There is alot of options now on the market about buying ready made Carp rigs. Most companies do them and experts like Frank Warwick marketing several of his favourite rigs. Gardner have their Talon tip range out in various forms and a pro selection. Rigs have always been a bit of a mystery to me altough I understand their basic use and how a Carp actually feeds so why the anti eject or bolt rigs work well. I have often thought about tying my own, but with these guys out there with years of knowledge, why not up my chances!!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Nick....do u honestly thing Frank Warwick sits there and ties up the rigs himself? :eek:)

Get someone to show you, or copy what u see...most rigs are very easy to tie yourself...and much cheaper too!

Don't get hung up on.."must have that rig coz Mr Famous Carper has caught four forties on it!"..Many of these rigs are highly developed for a particular situation..and in some cases, a particular water/fish (Withy Pool rig) and may not work on your water due to different feeding techniques.

Many of the successful carpers on this site use very simple rigs such as the knotless hair, or "d" rig with great success.

Go on...give the rigs a go yaself...its nice to catch a fich on a self tied rig...its a bit more "special"

M

Malcolm Bason

Rob's absolutely spot on, Nick. I used to buy ready-made rigs - not because so-and-so caught on them, but becasue i did'nt know how to do them myself. But it really is very simple. As Rob also suggests, buy one or two and just copy them.

M

Malcolm Bason

One thing I will also suggest Nick, when tying - whether it be the knotless knot or a palomar or whatever - and be it to a swivel to the hook, safely clip - make sure your knot are good!!

M

Malcolm Bason

One thing I will also suggest Nick, when tying - whether it be the knotless knot or a palomar or whatever - and be it to a swivel, to the hook, safely clip - make sure your knots are good!!

N

Nick Gardner

What, you mean Frank does'nt sit each night till late in a quiet room busily making rigs!!!! :( Well, I can see what you boys mean and have often heard Carp anglers say about the satisfaction of catching on your own rigs, similar to making your own bait, but I wont start on that one. Would anyone say there is a basic length of a rig. All the ready mades I have used have all been around the same size (approx 9 inch). Again, I know this differs due to the water as if you are fishing a pop up over alot of weed, you may want it to stand up even further. I know this can also be determined by setting the lead putty,higher up the line for example.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Has anyone really expected that Frank Warwick, or anyone else, sits and makes their own commercially available rigs?

Surely we all understand that Frank has just designed them.

If not, then maybe we should expect Rod Hutchinson to sit up all night rolling carbon fibre sheet onto mandrels, whipping rings on, and varnishing the carp rods that carry his name.

B

Birds Nest

Tell you what then, that Daiwa bloke must be busy... And Mr Fox !!!

B

Birds Nest

Oh forgot to say, i'm with the others, get to grips with making your own. Theres nothing worse than loosing a fish on a ready made... Make your own then you know who to blame.

N

Nick Gardner

Dont worry Graham, I aint that silly, it was in jest!!!! They spend more time fishing than sitting in their houses anyway. Do you have any comments on this subject? One comment Birds Nest, when I broke a piece off my Gardner Pod, I wrote to their help line and got a reply back from the man himself, well it said Richard Gardner and I'm a trusting sole as he wrote several times, maybe it's our sirenames match!!! maybe he thought we were related!! cool, free gear :)

P

paul clarke

nick, just have a search through previous features on this site.there have been some really good articles on end rigs , especially "the carp column" by carp angler. good clear advice and they have certainly helped me in my "amateurish" attempts on the bank !!!

C

Carp Angler

Don't belittle yourself Paul, we're all amateurs and can only rely on luck for the fish to play their part.

Keep all rigs simple and use specific rigs to overcome certain situations.

e.g. boilies over clean gravel = mono or flouro no knot

pop-ups over silt or weed then hinged Snakeskin

etc etc

I could write articles on loads and loads of ficticious rigs that I wouldn't dream of using, but why?
(did anyone see Mike Kavanaghs latest rig article in C**pworld?)

D

Dave O'L

Just in case anyone reading this doesn't do it, use a rig wallet & make them up at home.
I only say this cos when I was younger I had never heard of a riig wallet. I used to spend hours trying to tie sea rigs in howling winds on rocks, dropping hooks & swivels all over the place.

M

Mike Parker

I apply the same principle to my rigs as I do the brakes on my car! Do it yourself! that way you know that if it fails you have no one but yourself to blame. If you prepare the rigs yourself you know there are no flaws in the make up and construction.
When all is said and done apply the 'KISS'principle and you can make up rigs virtually in complete darkness.
To the vast majority of us rigs are a variations on 2 themes. Get the basics right and the variations, should you really need them, become simple.
Besides catching on a self made rig does give that little bit more satisfaction.
Ready made rigs are neither good or bad but then again I wouldn't use them to learn how to tie rigs! If you want to learn how to tie rigs just ask. The majority of us are more than willing to show our skills, but please remember that the bait make - up is a secret passed down to us by our great great grandfathers (on our mothers side) who was a great Cherokee Indian Chief, and would result in almost certain death if we revealled that we bought them from the local angling shop!!!!!!!!

N

Nick Gardner

Cheers Mike, Sound advice.... It seems a resounding "make your own" call from everyone. Although I am a Brit, I live in Copenhagen,Denmark and have a great tackle shop 10 mins from me owned by a fanitacal Carper, eventhough they cater for all areas of fishing (sea fishing biggest over here as you are never more than 40 mins drive from the sea where ever you are). He's got all the gear from Kryston,Nash,Gardner etc so I will give it a go.

C

Carp Angler

Surely he will show you how to tie rigs?

Plonk a reel of snakeskin, a packet of T6's and a packet of Uni-swivels on the counter and say "show me how", he should be only too willing.

If not, look at the rigs page on here and ask a specific question if you are unsure.

Rigs Page

N

Nick Gardner

Thanks for that. Problem is Carp Angler, there are bloody loads of different braids out there, some with the coating which you can scratch off and others that are heavy or not. I think, next year I am going to concentrate on a very good gravel pit over here which fished really well this year. If I am fishing Gravel/silty bottoms and maybe some gravle bars, what braid would you use?