Arnside

D

Danny Lancaster

I'm off to Arnside this week (Friday) hoping to catch some flounder. Can anyone please give me any tips, tricks and also any know-how as to what other species I could catch?

As you've guessed Im not a sea fisherman.

Tackle Wise, Im taking my dads small beachcaster, some grip leads, 15lb main-line and some decent shock leader for the weights. Hooks??? Not a clue, but been recommended Mustad 3260N Flatty Hooks?

Baitwise, Im taking some Creeper and Fresh Mackeral.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Danny

D

David Singleton

It's a few years since I fished there but the
tackle and bait you are planning to use should
be ideal, size 1 Aberdeens should be o.k. beads and sequins above the hook are the norm.
Tides for Fri.H.W.09-17 L.W.15-51 9.3mtrs.
Sat.H.W. 10-04 L.W.16-41 9.8mtrs.
Sun. H.W. 10-47 L.W.17-28 10.00mtrs. the tide
times are approx. as I've taken them from the Barrow tide table but won't be far out.
Fishing is normally from the railway viaduct
downstream it WON'T be easy on such big tides
but best of luck anyway.
DON'T stray onto the sands when the tide is
flooding as the tide comes over the sand faster than you can run

D

Danny Lancaster

Cheers David. We tend to either fish near the Boats down from the promenade in arnside or like you say, up near the railway viaduct.

Are there any other species caught up there? Schoolie Bass, Sea Trout, etc...I've heard of one or two Conger beaching themselves every now and again alsol...

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Danny.

Low water is best. I always find fishing just below the bridge on the mud flats into the channel best.

Watch for when the tide turns it comes in very fast. Fish of the railway embackment. casting back into the channel

Alternativley drive to the end of the prom and park. Follow the footpath along the shore line. The channel comes in quite close here. Tackle losses i have found have always been higher at this location due to more rocks.

Tackle wise. Plain leads from 2oz upwards to 4oz will suffice depending on the tide. It's wise to have a it of movement in the lead and search for the fish as they tend to lie up in the sand. If you have carp rods these will also do. There are no big cast involved.

I have always found creeper out fishes the fish baits. Just watch the weather as i have always found the fishing drops of after a lot of rain.

With regards other fish there is always a chance of a plaice. you should also pick up a few dabs. Not much else there exept the passing salmon and sea trout. Summer can see the odd school bass show.

D

David Singleton

Hi Danny,Flounders (known locally as flukes)are the predominent species but eels are often landed also Dabs the odd plaice school bass sea trout.

David

D

Danny Lancaster

Well, fished yesterday most of the day for just the single flounder. Creeper supplier ducked on me so only had mackeral and a tiny amount of black lug. Fished near the coastguard station near the prom. A few anglers did well on the creeper (up to 10 fish). Weather was glorious and thoroughly enjoyed it. Going back next Sunday for another try.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase creeper in the area?? I'm convinced this is THE bait for Arnside, but cannot seem to locate a good supplier.

Cheers

Danny

Islander

Reaction score
Hi Danny, Sorry to hear of your bait problems,
I don't know of anyone selling creeper locally
but I think one of the shops in Arnside sells
fishing tackle as a sideline they may be able to help or you could try Rods and Sods in
Ulverston tel.01229 582367.
Creeper is pretty widespread in the area if you can find a bed they are easy enough to dig, try asking other anglers where they dig
theirs, you're right it is THE bait usually
tipped with a sliver of mackerel.
Best of luck.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Gig your own Danny on the way. It will take you about 30 mins to get enough for a session.

You just need a garden fork and some thigh waders.

We always dug ours above Glasson Dock at Condor Green. Don't dig to deep as its back breacking work and if you stay near the waters edge you won't sink as quick in the mud. Its always better if there are two of you. One can dig the other collects the worm.

Map Link If you look on the map there is parking just before the bridge over the river. We always got plenty here.

Hope this helps.

D

Danny Lancaster

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what am I looking for when trying to find a good digging spot? On the odd occassion I've found a few under the rocks near to where I fish but nothing of any size/quantity.

Cheers

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
they are in the soft mud. Best a couple of foot above the water line. as the tide drops the worms go deeper.

Islander

Reaction score
Hi Danny, Unlike lugworm that leave casts on the sand creeper don't show any trace so it's a case of hunting them down so to speak, it's
dirty muddy work though. Best of luck.

D

Danny Lancaster

Thanks for all your info chaps. I will give you a catch report on Monday!!

I have a feeling where they will be. There is a small rocky outcrop near the coastguard station. I have found them there in the past, I reckon with a fork I should get quite a few in the area.

Cheers

Danny

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
They are there but not in the numbers you will find at Condor Green.

Good luck the weather as been better this last week.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Danny, Bryan is spot on about Condor Green its full of creeper.
Dig downstream of the road bridge , around half way between the grass and the water .You'll find it everywhere but some spots hold more/bigger worm. Its dirty work but it doesn't take long, you'll need clean water and a towel for cleaning off after collecting
A pack of Kipper fillets is a great back up bait too.

D

Danny Lancaster

Well, just got back and had a great day. Arrived at low water, fished lug, creeper (I foraged for some at Arnside) and small mackeral strips.

Managed to winkle eight flounder between us.

There was a match on near the promenade, and lots of anglers further down. Lost quite a bit of gear though, I think due to leads getting stuck, possibly in the gullies, didn't think it was rock or weed. Ant tips on keeping tackle-loss to a minimum would be appreciated. We were using standard two and three hook flappers. I noticed one or two using wishbone type rigs and was "told" that quite a few fish are caught float fishing?

Islander

Reaction score
Congratulations!,that's impressive for someone
new to sea fishing,your tackle losses are a
mystery however,have you thought about heavier
line?

D

Danny Lancaster

Hi Ian,

We were using 2-3oz plain leads. Teardrop shaped. Leads were clipped at the bottom of shop-bought, flapper rigs.

My guess, is that if you casted past a certain spot, you were in the main channel, and when reeling in if you didn't yank the lead over the channels ledge, you were stuck fast in the side of the channel. Slack lining to roll the lead back down, did not work. Everything would just seem to go solid, as though we had cast straight into the wreck of the titanic.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
I used to lose a few leads in the sandbanks , the line "cheesewired" until the lead went solid. The "treaders" used to regularly bring rigs back off the sand.
Lead lifts will help.One of the locals showed me the same rig you describe but with a baked bean tin lid between the lead clip and lead.
Did you look for Codnor Green?

D

Danny Lancaster

I didn't to be honest Ian, but I google earthed it. Next trip, we are nipping up there prior to fishing.

I managed to get quite a few from near the rocks just past the two Orange Buoys. Took about 3/4hr to get a small bait box full. Fingers are ripped to bits though with the tiny limpets on the rocks.