In a Spin - Part 2

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Spinner baits and buzz baits were two of the most exciting ways of catching bass.

I intend to do a lot more lure fishing for pike this year. I have a nice pistol grip rod being built on a Harrison blank for me by Dave Lumb. And I have two Ambassadeur baitcasting reels desperate for an airing. All I need now are some lures.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Jeff

Great article, as always. Couldn't agree more about the effectiveness spinners like Droppen and Mepps, but I have to say those Mean Hornets have more than a passing resemblance to (v.v.cheap) mackerel spinners of yore, although the pike didn't mind them I seem to remember!

And what ever happened to kidney spoons? They were a 'Don't leave home without' item for years, did they stop being effective (were they ever, in reality?) or did fashion pass them by, along with the Colorado spoon........

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I used both the kidney and colorado spoon in the 50s. They worked of course, but today there are much better lures.

Spinnerbaits for example.

The huge advantage of spinnerbaits is that you can work them through weed beds and you can bump them along snaggy bottoms without hooking up. It is vital to understand how to work the two distinct types of spinnerbait. The single bladed ones are for deep water and vertical structure. The double bladed spinnerbaits are for shallow water and weedbeds.

I'm not sure which American invented them, but when he did they became the biggest advance in spoon lures ever known and enable you to fish where the fish are.

If you haven't already, don't forget to learn how to use a baitcasting (small multiplying) reel for this type of fishing. They are far superior to fixed spool reels.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Nick,

For goodness sake do not waste your money on what is termed a spincast reel. I have a couple of ABU Ambassadeur 5501 C3 baitcasting reels that are absolutely ideal for general lure fishing for pike. I can even cast small spinners for perch with them.

If anyone wishes to learn how to cast a multiplying reel, perhaps they can come to the fly fishing fish-in in May.

It is easier to show people how to do it than writing about it.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Ron, I've got an abu multiplier, which I find to be total s**t for smaller lures/spinners/plugs, constantly tangling and generally pissing me off, any tips? or should I just stick to a standard reel for my lure work? I can't really see the advantage, although at present my Dave Lumb rod is being wasted sitting and not being used :0(

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

My simple tip is that you are trying to cast with it like you cast with a fixed spool reel.

Multipliers are totally different and first of all you need to get your head around how different they are.

Using a fixed spool reel is easy, you are casting the weight by holding back the line with your finger and then letting go, very similar to letting go with a bow string or sling shot.

With a multiplying reel, a portion of the forward cast is used to get the spool spinning. And then at the end of the cast your thumb is used to stop the spool spinning.

As you might be aware, mutiplying reels are used on the top of the rod. The best type of reel seat to use with these reels is the pistol grip.

If you are having all sorts of problems with your reel, you need to consult a pro-angler, in the same way that fly fishing beginners go for casting lessons.

It's worth every penny, believe you me.

Y

yoggy

Ron,I have an Abu 5501,but tend to stick with a fixed spool on the drains and small rivers around here. I just find it easier to use.However, I find the Abu in a different class when casting out on larger waters.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It all depends what you are used to mate.

I find that casting a lure using a fixed spool reel all day buggers up the first finger of my right hand. I spent 30 odd years using a multiplier on and off and they are my first choice for any kind of lure fishing. Even with short casts I can drop a lure right where I want it.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I'll have to look into that, as far as I know i've got the grip right, as you say the pistol grip, as the rod has been made to fit a multiplier. I would obviously like to be able to use it properly as I hate to have tackle jsut sitting around unused.

Y

yoggy

Ron,yes mate,it boils down to what you`re used to.I must say both my Abu rod and reel have been gathering dust,its probably about time I started using them more often.

And Nick,if you`re still thinking of buying a multiplier stick with an Abu mate.

W

Wolfman Woody

Hmmmm, not doing bad. Thirteen posts so far and no kicks in the butt as yet!!! Heheehe!

Points -
Kevin, yes, they do look like mackerel spinners and I have to admit to being a little disappointed the first time I saw them, but they sre so damned good they are worth every penny you spend on them. Believe me? Just get some and see for yourself. End those blanks!

Multipliers - The Abus are great for bigger lures, say ?oz upwards. For really small lures you could really do with a small multiplier like a Shimano Curado with magnetic braking. Or stick with a fixed spool reel for small stuff.

Maybe I should do a small one just on the casting a multiplier or look around for a video on it. Nice and easy does it is the anwser, no sudden jerks! Christian had a few problems at first, but was getting much better after an hour or so.

Y

yoggy

Woody,As you stated,the reason I stick to a fixed spool reel especially with the smaller stuff is that I find I`m much more accurate with my casting.With the small drains and rivers around here all thats needed is literally an under arm flick.I now only use my Abu when I`m fishing large stillwaters. I also find a fixed spool reel accompanied with a light spinning rod is far more practical when roving around.

M

MarkTheSpark

Macca - Jeff's spot on (which, by definition, means Ron isn't). The 5501 is great for 1 oz plus, but cr*p for little lures. Get a much smaller multiplier - I got a cheap little Daiwa for ?30, and it's been fine.

The 5501 is a cut-down 6501, so quite a big reel with a heavy spool, whose inertia you have to overcome to get it to work. There are plenty of smaller multipliers out there which will be better.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Mark, do you have a model for the Daiwa? Might be worth a look, otherwise I may stick with fixed spool for smaller lure work.

W

Wolfman Woody

"The 5501 is a cut-down 6501" Gosh, I have to disagree with Mark here.

Originally, Abu made the Record 2500 multiplier and this was superseeded by the 5000. Seeing the success of that one and wanting to design a reel more for trolling they widened the 5000 to make the 6000. They have since brought out a narrower one called the 4500.

The 6000 then became popular with sea anglers, in particular a guy called Peter (forget his second name) from Morecambe who used a 6000 stripped down to be the first to cast a 4ozs lead over 200 metres. He was then sponsored by Abu.

This then lead to various other models such as the 10,000, the 9000, and later the in between 7000. All others such as 5500 and C3 types are merely improvements on the original designs and any ended in "1", eg: "5501" is a left-handed model.

End of ABU (A.B. Urfabriken) history lesson (as I remember it) except to say that originally they were watch and clock manufacturers, which might explain their precision engineering!

Here's a Lightweight Shimano multiplier that might suit you for light lures. Cheap too (for this country) at less than ?40 including post.

M

MarkTheSpark

I stand corrected, but the point I was making was that the 5501 is a large-spooled reel - the spool with the same diameter as the 6500.

Good link, Woody. I think the multiplier I have is now out of production, Macca, but if you hunt around, there are loads of these little baitcasting reels around. Get one. They're great.