In a Spin - Part 2

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
W

Wolfman Woody

Yes, you're right Mark, they do have quite a large and heavy, comparatively speaking, spool. It only suits certain sizes of lures.

Too heavy and it overruns into bird's nests at the end of the cast if you're not careful and too light and it will creat one at the beginning of the cast. Even adjusting the mechanical brake doesn't seem to do too much good. It's clever use of the thumb that counts and not forgetting!

M

MarkTheSpark

And it's got enough ball bearings to run a tank. Looks like a really nice reel, this one. Might get it myself...

P

pete the levelspiker(pac)

spot on article woody!
i`d choose abus every time for lure fishing with bigger\heavier lures.
for lighter work,such as when using mepps or ondex,i use a fixed spool loaded with braid.

M

mark norris (ACA)

If you want a good selection of baby multipliers, go on to Bass pro shops web page.

Nick fisherman

Reaction score
I have to say, the Ondex No6 is THE most successful lure of all time and in the last three years i've land over 3000 fish on them. If you didn't have any success with them, then chances are you were retrieving too quickly or are just disproportionately unlucky. The second most successful lure is the red and white Shakespeare Big S. I can normally get 5 pike a session at my local lake and upto ten when we're in the river season on the Nene. In my experience it's more important to get a feel for the lure through the rod/reel, the Ondex's slow beat being unsurpassed for feedback to the angler. The Abu reflex are ok, but are just too heavy for most slow passes. The Ondex number 6 is unique in the degree to which it can loft up in any current and just magically hold station. With most lures i've found that they'll attract, but if the fish doesn't strike immediately, you're lost. The Ondex effectively slows down everything so that a fish has time to hit it. And by the way don't fall for the eastern knock-offs on Ebay, unless they are stamped Rublex, they don't work, even if they look the same.
Cheers, Nick.