Manufacturer Aftersales

smallbreamboy

Reaction score
Just thought i would post about aftersales by a certain manufacturer, which sounds like cracker, with regard to their bivvies.

On another forum i am on, somebody came on and said they had contacted the company to see about getting spares for a bivvy arm that had broken (apparently a common fault on this bivvy), the company have said they are no longer making spares for the bivvy, so the person is left with £400 worth of gear that unless a new arm is found can't be used.

This bivvy is only a year or so old. The manufacturers know there is an issue with quality control, however they have said to the person nothing they can do.

If you are thinking of parting with your money on a bivvythat ryhmes carhire, please think again and look for an alternative.

The thread on the other forum was removed after the manufacturer asked the forum moderators to remove it, they never even came on, even though they have one of their employess who is a regular on the forum.

B

Berty

If it is not fit for the purpose and the breakages may well indicate this then take them to the small claims.

I have said it before, we stand for ay old **** in angling.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Unfortunately most retailers will try to fob you off in the hope that you are ignorant of the sale of goods act - other retailers, or their employees, are ignorant of it themselves and may genuinely believe that you should deal with the manufacturer. Basically, if you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to 'reject' it: give it back and get your money back. However, the law gives you only a 'reasonable' time to do this – what is reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is
Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace the goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. If the seller doesn't do this, you are entitled to claim either:
Reduction on the purchase price or your money back, minus an amount for the usage you’ve had.
If the retailer refuses to or cannot repair the goods, and they won't replace them either, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair it, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.You have six years to get a claim in to court for faulty goods in England but, if it goes this far it may be worth writing to the retailer first enclosing copies of the completed claim forms and a letter indicating court action in 14 days without further notification should they not comply.
Jerry

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
If you are thinking of parting with your money on a bivvythat ryhmes carhire,
Providing you are willing to stand by your accusation I would name them if I were you. So long as it's not an outragious remark and backed up by your evidence, they would then have to come on here and defend their stance.

Anyway, to the real stuff -

What Berty and Jerry says is right, the goods must be 'fit for purpose' and expected to last a reasonable length of time. To give an example, if during your long happily married life (no, I am being serious ;)) you have owned say 5 washing machines each lasting in excess of 5 years and then you buy one that breaks down in 18 months (after a 12 month warranty has expired), you can still legitimately say it was NOT fit for purpose and expect a refund of part of the purchase price, a Court would most likely uphold your claim.

Before going any further, have a look at this site Money Claims On-Line

Lots of info on there and a help line for any odd questions, I believe. About 4 years ago a cyclist ran into the back of my car and because he had hurt himself I had to call an ambulance and of course, the police turned out. Statements were made and he admitted that he was not paying attention and that I was parked anyway, he then offered to pay for the repair. I minimised the cost to him by not taking out a hire car whilst mine was being fixed, but he later refused to pay saying he was broke and had to pay for the repair of his £3000 bicycle. Having given him a reasonable period to cough up I made a claim through MCOL and as soon as he took it to a solicitor - HE PAID! (He even had to pay for a courier to bring me the cheque.) And it only cost an extra £25 to serve the papers, so if he had still refused, I wouldn't have had to pay the earth for a solicitor's fees, just the £25, which got added to HIS bill anyway. It's a good easy to use service, I thoroughly recommend it.

terry m

Reaction score
Providing you are willing to stand by your accusation I would name them if I were you. So long as it's not an outragious remark and backed up by your evidence, they would then have to come on here and defend their stance.

Anyway, to the real stuff -

What Berty and Jerry says is right, the goods must be 'fit for purpose' and expected to last a reasonable length of time. To give an example, if during your long happily married life (no, I am being serious ;)) you have owned say 5 washing machines each lasting in excess of 5 years and then you buy one that breaks down in 18 months (after a 12 month warranty has expired), you can still legitimately say it was NOT fit for purpose and expect a refund of part of the purchase price, a Court would most likely uphold your claim.

Before going any further, have a look at this site Money Claims On-Line

Lots of info on there and a help line for any odd questions, I believe. About 4 years ago a cyclist ran into the back of my car and because he had hurt himself I had to call an ambulance and of course, the police turned out. Statements were made and he admitted that he was not paying attention and that I was parked anyway, he then offered to pay for the repair. I minimised the cost to him by not taking out a hire car whilst mine was being fixed, but he later refused to pay saying he was broke and had to pay for the repair of his £3000 bicycle. Having given him a reasonable period to cough up I made a claim through MCOL and as soon as he took it to a solicitor - HE PAID! (He even had to pay for a courier to bring me the cheque.) And it only cost an extra £25 to serve the papers, so if he had still refused, I wouldn't have had to pay the earth for a solicitor's fees, just the £25, which got added to HIS bill anyway. It's a good easy to use service, I thoroughly recommend it.

An extremely interesting and informative post

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I worked in retail for 18yrs and I know all about consumer rights...take them to the small claims court!
Did you know that 85% of folk don't realize what rights they have as consumers, and that's why all those companies out there just turn a blind eye when someone complains...YOU ALL HAVE RIGHTS, USE THEM!!

Mark

terry m

Reaction score
Mark, think the reason may be that some people simply cannot be 'bothered' and they put it down to experience.

As you point out the manufacturers are happy to rely on that fact.

However, occasionally a manufacturer will surprise you by their willingness to help. Fox International have been superb when I have contacted them (directly) and on one occasion they sent me spare parts garatis, when the product was several years old, they did not even charge me postage.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark, think the reason may be that some people simply cannot be 'bothered' and they put it down to experience.

As you point out the manufacturers are happy to rely on that fact.

However, occasionally a manufacturer will surprise you by their willingness to help. Fox International have been superb when I have contacted them (directly) and on one occasion they sent me spare parts garatis, when the product was several years old, they did not even charge me postage.

I have been really surprised by the help from some companies out there, the best ones though are the Americans, they really are passionate about customer care and will bend over backwards to help with any problems.

Mark

terry m

Reaction score
I travel to the US three or four times a year with work, generally to different parts. We have no concept of customer service when compared to them. For me it almost gets the the point where it is nauseating because I am naturally cynical and I have to keep reminding myself that they are generally sincere and not taking the pi$$.

By the time I have cleared Heathrow on my return, and having suffered dirty looks and moronic grunts I am reminded how poor we are at the whole customer service piece.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
thank god weren't like USA

"Have a nice day"

I'll ahve whatever day I like thank you!

"Would you like fries with that?"
"No you moron, if I'd ahve wanted fries with it I would ahve ordered fries. I'm not some simple minded loon who can be talked in to buy fries just becasue you ask me, nor am I a feeble minded plank head who forgtes to order fries"

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"No you moron, if I'd have wanted fries with it I would have ordered fries. I'm not some simple minded loon who can be talked in to buying fries just because you ask me, nor am I a feeble minded plank head who forgets to order fries"
Did you really forget to order the fries? :D :D

the Americans, they really are passionate about customer care
Sadly, in this country so many companies just pay lip service to those words. The staff have little company loyalty nor any passion to see the customer return, they simply do not care providing their wage is there at the end of the week/month. The main fault could be with the companies who no longer offer proper staff training.

Ever heard those announcements when you get through all the automated call systems on the phone where it says "Calls will be recorded for training purposes." Cobblers, calls will be recorded to try to prove their innocence in caee you try to make a claim against them, some of the staff that I've had on the phone haven't a clue a) about their own products or services or b) have no concept about how the law protects the individual and c) in the case of a bank recently, a staff member who couldn't do simple percentages.

Britain has an appalling track record of lack of customer care, although there are a few who get it dead right, far too many just aren't intersted so long a new customers keep coming through the doors. That's why the BBC can make programmes like 'Rip Off Britain', there's an unending feast of complaints they can get their hands on. And don't get me on Scottish Widows - please!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My mum has her insurance through Aviva (Norwich Union) and a few years ago she got put through to an Indian call centre to renew her policy, the woman on the other end had never heard of a Toyota Yaris!!
The best one was when my mum had her car wrote off last year. she was driving through the Chatsworth estate one Sunday afternoon when a motorcyclist hit her head on! This idiot (that's what the police named him, and yes, it was HIS fault!) decided he was going to claim damages from my mother, through, wait for it, a no win no fee company! What a bunch of tossers these (solicitors) are, the letter mum received was laughable in the least, the cheeky buggers only wanted my mum to go over to this young lads house and hand over £2000 so he could get his bike fixed! Aviva just laughed at them! The lad was eventually prosecuted and got a 2 year ban and, guess what, a £2000 fine!!!!
It just goes to show you how companies in this country think they can treat people!

Mark