Hello Peeps

Reaction score
Don't think I've posted before so thought I'd make up for it now.

I'm a Sheffield lad, born and bred, and brought up on fishing natural waters around the Sheffield area and the River Trent. I'm now living in the North West however, on the Fylde coast at Lytham St Annes (home of this year's British Open). I combine pleasure fishing on local commercials such as Highfield and Whitmores with fishing club matches on our private water at Beacon Fell nr Preston. Also occasionally fish the River Wyre and River Ribble.

I started fishing when I was about 11 with my mate Stephen, his Dad, Syd Crabtree (yes I did actually learn to fish with Mr Crabtree), and Mick Garbett. Stephen still writes the odd article for the Angling Star I believe. Sadly, his Dad passed away a few years ago, and I've totally lost touch with Mick (anyone heard from him?)

I had a decent break from fishing from my twenties onwards, after discovering women and drinking etc, but returned to the sport about 8 years ago after a long lay off ,and after realising I was no longer attractive to loose women.

What a shock that was when I returned. I could still fish the waggler, the stick, and the feeder, but now everyone was using these pole thingys. Ivan Marks was no longer in the papers, but there was some upstart called Matt Hayes (never heard of him at the time I picked an Angling Times up for the first time for years).

Not one to be deterred, I got a Shimano Carpbuster pole, and learned how to use a pole effectively. I now use what was once a decent Tournament pole, a Maver 481.

I've met up on The Trent with Stephen a few times over the last few years, but mostly I fish on my own now in the North West cos I have no fishing buddies over here, or I fish with the lads from my Fishing Club, when we have club matches.

I am 48 years old now, have two young kids 8 and 5, and my time on the bankside is at a premium since the kids arrived. I still get out though, just not as much as I want to. Supporting Sheffield Wednesday stops me fishing some Saturdays too. Up The Owls!

I'd describe myself as a decent angler, whose had a good angling education, but I want to get better. If any decent match angler over here wants to befriend me, and teach me how to win the odd open on local commercials, I'd be grateful for the assistance. Just forget the War of the Roses ever happened ok?

I have a club match on Sunday at Beacon Fell, I caught about 70lbs practicing on 2nd April but only managed about 12 lbs last midweek in very cold conditions (there was a bitter Easterly blowing into the corner I was fishing and I'm sticking to that excuse).

Off the top of my head, a few highlights over recent seasons:

About 80lbs of Trent barbel in one session to just under double figures fishing halibut pellets
A chub of 5lbs 2oz from the Ribble.
A 13lbs 7 oz mirror caught in a match on an eighteen hook and no.6 elastic which took careful playing to land (took ages) to howls of derision from the lads at the club.

I like to think I can write a bit, so I might do the odd article if you ask nicely.

Can I just finish by wishing Sheffield United no luck at all in the closing three games of the League One season (how to make friends and influence people eh?)

Reaction score
If Carlsberg did introductions ...
Welcome Simon.
Simon.

Cheers mate

Another from the Crabtree clan?

They don't half knock them out these Crabtrees!

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

Welcome to Fm Simon

I'm also a dee dah but now live in the NW (since 87) so I talk all posh now and that

Cheers.

Dee dahs are the Chesterfield lot aren't they?

You'd be talking posh if you lived in Lytham alright. All the babies are pushed around in Silver Cross prams.

I leave them on bricks and nick their wheels though. It's a Wybourn thing!

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Welcome to the forum Simon. :w

Thanks matey.

I bet you have some great fishing where you are?

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Welcome to FM Simon - great intro.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

I'll do my best to entertain, I like a laugh and a bit of banter!

You need a good sense of humour supporting Wednesday!

Reaction score
Hailing from Hillsborough originally, it has to be Wednesday of course, :D

Good lad.

We're all Wednesday aren't we?

---------- Post added at 07:01 ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 ----------

Indeed :thumbs:

I`m a Sheffield lad too, we`re slowly taking over in here :D

Sheffield has always been a hotbed of angling activity, producing many good anglers. Strange really when you consider the lack of venues in and around the city.

Well, that was the case when I first took up fishing anyhow. Not having lived in the city now for about 17 years, I suppose things may have changed?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Simon,

''Lack of venues in and around Sheffield''. If we go back as little as twenty years, Sheffield area fishing was superb.
Take for example, Dam Flask, pike to over thirty five pounds, bream topping nine pounds, perch over four pounds, roach over two pounds.

Underbank reservoir produced quality roach for many years, including a number of two pound fish.
Ecclesfield pond, grand roach, tench, and carp.
Ulley reservoir, pike, roach and bream.
Chesterfield canal, chub, pike and roach.
That's without including running water, river's Idle, Trent etc. :D

dangermouse

Reaction score
Sheffield has always been a hotbed of angling activity, producing many good anglers. Strange really when you consider the lack of venues in and around the city.

Well, that was the case when I first took up fishing anyhow. Not having lived in the city now for about 17 years, I suppose things may have changed?

The last time I lived in Sheffield I had some nice fishing about 10 mins walk from my house. Crookes Valley park is a decent venue that has tench, carp and the other usual suspects present and it`s a 10 minute bus ride from Sheffield centre.

And as an added bonus on hot summer days there are usually plenty of pretty students sun bathing in the park. :D

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Ulley reservoir, pike, roach and bream.

I used to live in Whiston so Ulley was just a short bus ride away from us. I fished there a few times as a kid, never did much as I recall but there were always tales of monster pike in that water.