open face reels stem length

trotter2

Reaction score
Anyone know of a decent open faced reel with a short handle stem I had a look at a couple on the internet but no guidance at too the actual length. Short finger make this a must
Thanks lads.

B

binka

Am I right in thinking that this is for trapping the line/spool with your finger when trotting?

B

binka

I can measure my Daiwas if you like and post it up tomorrow, they're about as compact as they come as it's one of the things I looked for when buying them.

I'm not short in the finger, I just like compact reels.

There doesn't appear to be much difference in length to the spool between the modern day 2503's and the predecessor 2503 Match S's although the earlier ones had a much wider bail arm throw.

If you can get hold of an earlier Match S you'll have a lovely compact reel with a sublime drag...

trotter2

Reaction score
Thanks Tigger

That's what I have always used. Just wondering if there was anything open faced with a similar stem length?

Thanks Binka that's very kind off you

cheers

Last edited:
B

binka

The nearest I can get it from the very top of the reel seat where it meets the rod to the top edge of the spool is 56mm.

Hope this helps, I would have forgotten if I'd not done it now :D

It's pretty much the same for both 2503's but I still reckon you're better picking up an old Match S and saving around £140 on the new price of the TDX.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

trotter2

Reaction score
Tigger can you take a measurement for me please, me same as Binka has very kindly done.

Cheers

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Trotter, like you I have relatively short fingers and because of that I had used centrepins and closed face reels for many years.

That is, until the Stradics came on the market in the 2500 size.

They are perfect (for me) and I now have 5 of them . . . . . . the stem length is spot on for me at least, so maybe try one at your local tackle shop and see for yourself . . . .

I cannot fault mine

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger can you take a measurement for me please, me same as Binka has very kindly done.

Cheers

No prob's T, with the spool wond into it's lowest position...from the lip to the bend in the foot it's approximatly 57 mils or just short of 6cm.
As Peter says you might be better off popping into a shop and handling one first. The rear drag are excellent also and there's more chance of the shop stocking the rear drags...the rear drag reels are a chunk of cash cheaper also and you get a spare spool with them...unlike the front drag which only comes with one spool!
Only having one spool did p!$$ me off a little as a spare spool is about £25. I can't fault the reels though, they're excellent.

trotter2

Reaction score
Thanks Tigger that sounds good
Cheers for that mate :thumbs:

Mite sound a silly question but is the rear drag reels the same stem and finger reach as the front drag reels?

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I just measured the distance between the edge of the spool and the rod handle using my new Stradic 4000S GTM-RC rear drag reel and It measured 55mm.

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Tigger that sounds good
Cheers for that mate :thumbs:

Mite sound a silly question but is the rear drag reels the same stem and finger reach as the front drag reels?

I haven't got one now T, but luckily Keith's answerd your question ;).
I do have an old GTE Super X 2500 which is just like a stradic and it's just right to reach if your using it for trotting.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Sorry Trotter, I got mixed up :eek:mg:.

I have a couple of the Shimano Stradic FJ (ST2500FJ) reels and they're just right, easy to reach, nice and compact with a superb drag, a crackin little reel imo.

Shimano Stradic FJ Spinning Fishing Reel BRAND NEW with 10 year warranty | eBay

You can get them for about a ton.

There's a interesting write up about the reels here....

Shimano Stradic ST2500FJ spinning reel review

Take no notice of Ian he's got hands like shovels and a grip like a vice. :D

Seriously you also need to take into account how thick your rod butt is the thicker the butt dia, the shorter your finger reach will be to the spool edge.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take no notice of Ian he's got hands like shovels and a grip like a vice. :D

Seriously you also need to take into account how thick your rod butt is the thicker the butt dia, the shorter your finger reach will be to the spool edge.

That's a good point Phil, I forgot to mention that myself ;) :D.

robtherake

Reaction score
Funny you mention Mitchell 308s I bought a few years ago a (new type) 308X gold spool type for float fishing. Love it for this kind of fishing.

The only drawback's the small spool size, so it's best with limp, low diameter lines, but my oldest (and best) 308 has been going for 62 years and shows no sign of packing up just yet. It's older than me!

The bad one

Reaction score
Rob I don't mind the small spool size providing you keep the line full to just sort of lip of the spool, 2mm max. Casts a 4 aa waggler as far as I want to fish with it. It's good for trotting big sticks 20 yards on the river as well. The Mitchell I'd love to get hold of is the smallest baitrunner type they made. Double handle and 6 bearings, Not sure of the model number.....anybody?
Nephew has one, great little reel, but he's not for parting with it :(

Last edited: