Hand warmers or gloves for winter

chrissh

Reaction score
Another question about keep your hand warm in winter… I have tried fingerless gloves that work ok until they get wet. I’m thinking on buying a Whitby hand warmer that run of lighter fuel have any of you got one and what do you think of them … DO THEY WORK … or can you recommend a warmer or gloves that do what they say

barbelboi

Reaction score
I can't be bothered with gloves of any sort (even though i have a pair of sealskinz). If there's a need for anything then it's one of these, or similar, in the pocket. I'm very fussy with footware though as it's somewhat difficult to put your feet in your pocket if they get cold................

seth49

Reaction score
I know it sounds wrong, but if you hold your hands in the cold water, when you take them out and the circulation comes back, they'll feel really warm and you won't need gloves.

Used to do this often in winter when I worked for water board, repairing burst pipes. It was more active digging etc.but it worked.
If it's that cold now I will sooner stop in.:)

ian g

Reaction score
I know it sounds wrong, but if you hold your hands in the cold water, when you take them out and the circulation comes back, they'll feel really warm and you won't need gloves.

Used to do this often in winter when I worked for water board, repairing burst pipes. It was more active digging etc.but it worked.

I remember reading that somewhere and thinking it was mad . Funny thing is it does work . I would also say keeping your core warm helps keep your hands warm as the blood moves away from your extremities to keep your core warm. I don't do gloves to much of a faff.

mikench

Reaction score
Bought my wife a Zippo hand warmer for Christmas ( among other things!) as she constantly complains of cold hands. It works well!

B

binka

I fish about as much through winter as I do summer and I can't tolerate cold hands.

I've been using the Trakker mitts for the last few winters and find them hard to fault, whatever style of fishing you're doing.

When folded back to leave your fingers free the mitt part still keeps the backs of your hands warm (and those all important blood circulating veins on the surface) and they're very toasty when you've got them in full mode with your fingers inside, again there's enough room inside to allow for warm body heat to store which is something I find lacking with the fitted style of gloves.

A big plus is that you can tuck your cuffs in them and cut off that draft potential between glove and sleeve, even in the coldest temperatures I find that they are warm enough folded back so that your fingers are still exposed.

They were going silly cheap some time ago so it might pay to shop around but these are the beasts...

Trakker Carp Fishing NEW Polar Foldback Gloves | eBay

The image doesn't show it but inside the mitt part there are separate finger extensions form the knuckle to around mid- finger which helps a lot...

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Can't stand the foldback-style gloves - they add an extra few tangle points and I'm clumsy enough, thank you very much. I use a pair of Snowbee neoprene fingerless, which are thin enough to remain reasonably flexible, and a one-time-use thermal hand warmer in a pocket (pound shop special) to thaw my finger ends out when it's parky.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced solid fuel handwarmer? They look to be just the right size for the hand-warmer pockets of a winter jacket.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

I fish about as much through winter as I do summer and I can't tolerate cold hands.

I've been using the Trakker mitts for the last few winters and find them hard to fault, whatever style of fishing you're doing.

When folded back to leave your fingers free the mitt part still keeps the backs of your hands warm (and those all important blood circulating veins on the surface) and they're very toasty when you've got them in full mode with your fingers inside, again there's enough room inside to allow for warm body heat to store which is something I find lacking with the fitted style of gloves.

A big plus is that you can tuck your cuffs in them and cut off that draft potential between glove and sleeve, even in the coldest temperatures I find that they are warm enough folded back so that your fingers are still exposed.

They were going silly cheap some time ago so it might pay to shop around but these are the beasts...

Trakker Carp Fishing NEW Polar Foldback Gloves | eBay

The image doesn't show it but inside the mitt part there are separate finger extensions form the knuckle to around mid- finger which helps a lot...

The caption beneath the picture should read, "Any spare change, Guv?":D

bracket

Reaction score
I cannot abide gloves in any shape or form. As has already been said, keeping you body warm is half the battle. If I use anything it is a film of Vaseline on the back of my hands. The one thing that guarantees to keep you warm is catching. Pete.

john step

Reaction score
Horses for courses really.If float or ledgering I try to get out of the wind when its cold and tuck my hands up my sleeves. I find I can get away without gloves like this and still hold the rod.
I like to do piking in the colder months and this is where I can wear gloves as I am not constantly baiting, unhooking and feeding which make gloves wet and useless.

flightliner

Reaction score
I cannot abide gloves in any shape or form. As has already been said, keeping you body warm is half the battle. If I use anything it is a film of Vaseline on the back of my hands. The one thing that guarantees to keep you warm is catching. Pete.
Gloves are ok up to a point, fingerless better than the full monty but if you're stood on a river like the Trent with a northerly in your face when running a float downstream then one is not an option and the other is fine if you are doing a stint where you have your rod in its rest between bites, (I have foldbacks )other than that If the cold is extreme and I have to hold the rod all day then I was brought up like bracket.
One guy back in the late sixties in a match outfit I used to fish with always gave the same advice "just - iss on yer'ands 'n av dun wi it".:eek:

old school

Reaction score

You and me both mate,i used to work outside in all weathers,used to say to the boys that if you are cold its because to aint working hard enough:)I know it sounds silly but sometimes i had to break the ice and put my hands in the water,nearly made me cry when my fingers got so cold,but after that they were alright.happy days

sagalout

Reaction score
I have had the petrol hand warmers (zippo and some other make) and the solid fuel (charcoal) type but now swear by the chemical use once and bung type. I haqve been getting mine from tescos, 5 pairs for £3 if memory serves correct. If you local store don't have 'em you can order them in using tesco direct.

In my ever so humble opinion, the petrol type are a pain to fill and light and the wick type gismo is **** also you stink of lighter fuel. The charcoal ones are difficult to keep burning. The chemical ones, open the pack, give 'em a shake, stick 'em in your pocket, job done. Warm pockets. Note the key word is warm not baking hot.

robtherake

Reaction score
Gloves are ok up to a point, fingerless better than the full monty but if you're stood on a river like the Trent with a northerly in your face when running a float downstream then one is not an option and the other is fine if you are doing a stint where you have your rod in its rest between bites, (I have foldbacks )other than that If the cold is extreme and I have to hold the rod all day then I was brought up like bracket.
One guy back in the late sixties in a match outfit I used to fish with always gave the same advice "just - iss on yer'ands 'n av dun wi it".:eek:

Is there a scientific explanation for this quaint custom, Mick, apart from the obvious heat input?

B

binka

Is there a scientific explanation for this quaint custom, Mick, apart from the obvious heat input?

There is Rob but it involves the tail feathers of three pheasants, a dead mouse and a cauldron of boiling bat's blood :D

sagalout

Reaction score
It's because they have a small willy, they hold it with four fingers and p1ss on three.

There is Rob but it involves the tail feathers of three pheasants, a dead mouse and a cauldron of boiling bat's blood :D
I didn't know you knew my missus and her mother.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The problem is that if you sit still for any length of time you WILL get cold and gloves will not IMHO, ever solve the problem. Not to say I don't use them and I do have a pair of loose fitting ski gloves to put on if I'm sitting behind the rods with little movement.
I'm with Jerry on the hand warmers as it's a small price to pay for warming the hands from time to time.
For me, and I fish through the winter in MOST weathers, proper clothing/boots is critical and along with plenty of hot drink I cannot say I suffer at all. Occasionally I will wind the rods in and go for a brisk walk along the bank to get the circulation going and this helps the feet to some degree, which will always suffer the most (being furthest from the heart).

Personally, I think dealing with extremes of cold or heat is in the mind to some extent and you really have to WANT to go fishing, otherwise I cannot see the point. I have worked on many building sites as an engineer from winter in south Korea to high summer in Saudi Arabia so I know extremes, and if you let it get to you mentally you will suffer, and I do mean suffer!!
Folk need to do homework around the subject of the effects of cold on the body, read about how climbers of mountains deal with cold etc. etc. and what is available on the market to make things more comfortable on the bank.....hence the hand warmers are a great buy for a few bob!

I shall be on the bank at 07.30 tomorrow in around 4/5 degrees, NOT because I'm brave (or stupid) but because I need to know what I can catch as temps drop AND with nobody else on the bank.....

As I've said so many times before; Get yourself some decent gear and Thermos flasks and give it a try for a few hours and I don't think you'll be disappointed!!!

ps I slap 'Diprobase' barrier cream on my face (as a barrier to stop the cold affecting my skin) before I leave home and take a tin of Vasaline for my hands to use after handling fish etc. or whenever the hands get wet. Not perfect, but then nothing is.................

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
The only thing I use on my hands in winter is Vaseline. I also poke my hands under my thighs if they get nippy.