Hand warmers or gloves for winter

mikench

Reaction score
I just knew Binka would have the answer! With all the things he gets up to, I am surprised he has the time to fish;)

flightliner

Reaction score
Is there a scientific explanation for this quaint custom, Mick, apart from the obvious heat input?
He reckoned that as the sea (saltwater) froze after freshwater the salt in his pee would have some small beneficial effect.. Mind you, on one of the matches we had one bad winter he was giving his hands "the treatment" on the Witham when a lady appeared out of nowhere walking her dog---- oops !
Back on the coach going home one wag said it was the first time he had seen anyone put percy back so fast ---- after that he was referred to as the " Piscatorial - issquick .:D

laguna

Reaction score
I was looking into the technical implications of developing electrically heated gloves last year and got as far as.... nowhere! (except the concept of a conductive rubber thread)
I've recently started vaping using a temperature controlled SMOK in an attempt to cut down on the fags and can confirm; those MOD's can get comfortably hot.

*rechargeable lithium-ion battery

mikench

Reaction score
I do not know about gloves but I am sure there are electrically heated jackets and gilets available. One would have thought the technology would be equally applicable to gloves! Maybe because of the movement metal elements would be prone to breakage.Could you adapt the rubber and silicon piping we use in rigs to accommodate electrical elements? Graphene will provide a solution!

If the idea has legs please remember me Chris;)

B

binka

Battery heated gloves have been around in the motorcycle world for some time Mike.

I think the big, cumbersome nature of them will be the main challenge in coming up with a version that is suitable for fishing but I would certainly be interested if somebody does.

mikench

Reaction score
I had a feeling they were Steve! Winding up the throttle on a Harley is one thing, tying on a size 16 hook to a short lengh of 4lb mono is something else entirely!:)

I can barely do it with bare hands in the summer;)

greenie62

Reaction score
You could always try a Samsung smart-phone for heating your hands! - according to this morning's news! :eek::D

laguna

Reaction score
If the idea has legs please remember me Chris
Legs too? ;)

I've used silver but graphene is cheaper.
The aim was to make a flexible glove. Initial test consisted of soaking a surgical latex glove in a silver solution so that it swells absorbing the silver. Stuck on a 12v battery and heated it up using a rheostat to control current. The result was that it got warm near the power source but nowhere else near the finger tips where it is wanted.
Next test was to do the same except with pole elastic, in the hope to use it as thread sewn in. It was a partial success in that it worked to some degree, but it needed more voltage plus the rubber became somewhat brittle.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I've tried allsorts...

The most practical are a pair of the fold back mittens, they do the job nicely and I can get to most tasks ok with them folded back.

However, I wouldn't bother with them if I was float fishing.

The problem though with all gloves is that sooner or later (particularly when you're landing/ dealing with a decent fish) you'll get them wet. Even the neoprene ones I had couldn't really deal with that.

So now, I have a Sundridge igloo coat which has deep, thickly fleeced hand warmer pockets... which work really well. So I tend to just stick my hands in there now.

I absolutely love fishing in the depths of winter, but for me it becomes a little bit more hit and run. I tend to fish shorter sessions on the river, mainly just before and just after dusk. So keeping body and soul together for 2 or 3 hours - as opposed to 8+ - is quite a bit easier.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I bought a few sets of the fingerless gloves from aldi last year and find them adequate. They perform OK when wet but when soaking wet they loose performance, because of this if I'm out for a full day I tend to take two pairs. Coupled with the fleece pockets in my army smock my hands stay warm

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As a matter of interest, my wife has just bought a pair of Hot Rox USB hand warmers as she is a sufferer of Raynaud's disease which affect fingers and toes in the main. She suffers badly with her fingers which go numb with cold, so these Hot Rox seem to be working very, very well. They are rechargeable via a USB port and have two settings - medium and hot, and the hot is bl**dy hot!!

The 'Rox' are about the size of a large pebble which sit in the palm of the hand inside gloves, or in the pockets of walking jackets and the like, and although not necessarily ideal for fisherman, anyone who really suffers from the cold might benefit, particularly if (say) carp fishing with not too much movement...

They are recommended by the RD society and although not cheap at £20 each they will stand charging some 500 times according to the blurb. I think I'm right in saying a full charge lasts some 4/6 hours on medium, but that should be checked!

Someone might like to attach the Hot Rox website?

Thanks

ps Apologies of this has been run before.........................

chrissh

Reaction score
As a matter of interest, my wife has just bought a pair of Hot Rox USB hand warmers as she is a sufferer of Raynaud's disease which affect fingers and toes in the main. She suffers badly with her fingers which go numb with cold, so these Hot Rox seem to be working very, very well. They are rechargeable via a USB port and have two settings - medium and hot, and the hot is bl**dy hot!!

The 'Rox' are about the size of a large pebble which sit in the palm of the hand inside gloves, or in the pockets of walking jackets and the like, and although not necessarily ideal for fisherman, anyone who really suffers from the cold might benefit, particularly if (say) carp fishing with not too much movement...

They are recommended by the RD society and although not cheap at £20 each they will stand charging some 500 times according to the blurb. I think I'm right in saying a full charge lasts some 4/6 hours on medium, but that should be checked!

Someone might like to attach the Hot Rox website?

Thanks

ps Apologies of this has been run before.........................

web link
HotRox Electronic handwarmers