Unhooking Mat

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hey Guys (Gals), I'm after some advice. I’m looking at getting myself a new mat for this coming summer and wondered what you would recommend ? I looked in a mag and saw the Euro Mega Mat, I've also seen the Quantam Mat too. But to be honest, I haven't got a clue what to buy and where to buy it from (preferably online), any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Stuart

M

Mark Hodson

They are all very much alike, the main thing to remember is to buy the biggest and most protective you can afford, the fish come first, not the name on our gear.Also, a sling/mat combo is always a good idea so you don't have to transfer fish from mat to sling.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Stuart - try the Fox Classic unhooking mat.

It folds easily with velcro fastenings along each edge, for easy rolling up. When opened out it provides a well cushioned area to unhook the carp on, but also has an 'un-padded' half for kneeling on - ideal if its particularly muddy!

It is also made of a special 'slippery' material that minimises the damage to the slime on a fish's body.

About ?30.

C

Cakey

Stuart
the Badger euro unhooking mat is the best ive seen in jonks.

"42"" X 48"" UNFOLDED, HEAVILY PADDED FOR PROTECTION, CARRY HANDLES, PEGGING POINTS, PACKAWAY CLIPS TO REDUCE SIZE BY HALF FOR TRANSPORTATION, THIS MAT ALSO FLOATS FOR SAFE RELEASE OF YOUR CATCH. "

at just over ?30

or nick the babys changing mat (dont cost anything then)

S

Steve Clements

I got the chub model...it's big and doubles as a sling with velcro and big chunky zips, I think it's tops,got it from carplines.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Cheers guys, really appreciated, I'll take a closer look. Cakey, I did think of the babies changing mat, but with regard to protection of the fish, this is a slime I wouldn't ever want to encounter again!

C

Cakey

Done loads of research for you lover and it seems that Nash is the man,his are filled with small balls like a bean bag and take the shape of the fish,good a?
So you need one Nash Euro unhooking mat

G

GYPSY DAVE

STU.
I still have the 2ft x 2ft Mat i used when I was catching "doubles" if you are short of one.
Can't stop, need to find a really good hiding place.:))

C

Cakey

Gypsy
that would go really nice with his bream rods!!!!!!!

A

andrew jackson

Yep I am with cakey on this one, the mats stuffed with polly balls are great. My mate has a peltzer one and as well as it being a top mat, it doubles up as a great guest seat.

C

Carp Angler

I've got one from the Shimano Bug range that also doubles as a weigh sling, you can also float the fish back out on it.
Cost about ?30.

If you take a look at the BivvyUp site on the left,
or go here and its near enough at the bottom of the page.

Shimano Unhooking Mat / Weigh Sling (X large)

S

Stormin' Norman

I'm using the JRC euro unhooking mat. It's not bad at all and doubles as a decent sling. Only problem with it is having to wiegh it first and zero the scales because it absorbs and holds water like a sponge( which is all it is really). ?29.99.

Good for carrying fish back to water in to.

When are you next going breaming then?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Mike, does that mean you normally put around 15-20% on the weight of your catch then?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
i'm 'BREAMING ' again tomorrow mate, no doubt I'll have another twenty off the top! I'll keep you posted mate.

S

Stormin' Norman

No mate, My mat weighs 1lb 6oz dry, and nearly 4lbs after a good soaking of rain, it just makes sense to weigh the mat first.

What ever slime and water comes with the fish is all to the good eh?