source boilies any good

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have read the best bait section and not seen these mentioned .

The reason for the post is that I whent to my local shop and explained that i have started a barble campaign on the derwent and I asked what would be the best bait to use here .

I was recomended and bought source boilies I have only used monster crab boilies from dragon carp on three ocasions with no luck well one possible bite butt I think i struck too soon.

I just wandered if anyone else has had good results with this bait as they were very expensive and whilst they will not be wasted I have not learnt to trust boilies yet they just look so big and un-naturel also how close to the boilie should the hook be for barbel ?

I have made a few rigs so that the hook curve is about 4-5 mil away and one that has the hook actually resting against the boilie this looks much more likely to me.

Is it just me or is there no spell checker on these things .

darrengeorge

Reaction score
Source boilies are a good bait, as are most baits. For now I would stick to buying a bag of these to get your confidence up, there are plenty of great little bait companies out there that will do a very good bait at a competitive price, but for now, confidence is what you need most.

Other confidence baits:

Essential B5
Nutrabaits Trigga or BFM
Mainline Activ-8
T1

And there are loads others, which have all caught plenty of fish - confidence in a bag.

soulnumber1

Reaction score
Source Boilies

Used the 10mm size on the Tees for the first time this season.
I soaked them in the source liquid for a couple of days prior to use and used 2on a size 12 raptor hook.

Results were good during the very high water conditions in July.
Taking ten fish between 6 and 11.5lbs.
Since then I have not been able to fish in a flood or catch a barble, but have taken chub and bream on the 10mm double set up.

tortoise100

Reaction score
This is all good my confidence is rising ;bp.
How far from the hook do you have the boilie?

Reaction score
I've been using Source boilies and pellets a great deal this season. I have had a a great deal of success with them for barbel and chub. I've used the pellets as feed and hookbait (One club I'm a member of bans boilies so I use banded or drilled source pellets on their waters)

I prefer to use their 10mm boilies rather than the 15mm. I use two or 1 and a half boilies on the hair. Prefer to do this as I suspect the fish tend to get a bit wise to the more "popular" 15mm.

Having the boilie just touching the base of the book is fine or leave a couple of mm gap.

I always have tubs of boilies and pellets soaking in the Source liquid - these I use for the hook. Just leave them in the glug as long as you like...I top up after every trip..so there are some lurking in the depths which have been soaking for months!!!

Darren is right about other flavours/brands. I've been using Tuna/chilli as an alternative - wallowing in glug as well!!

Spell checker comes into play when you click the Go advanced box...which also allows you access to the wonderful world of smilies :j:w:cool:

Last edited:

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
All of the above.

If you do keep some in a glug-tub for hookbaits have some whole, some halved and others trimmed to be smaller - doesn't matter what shape, cubed or just plain odd.

If you are sitting there biteless on a whole boilie try using a smaller piece instead - sometimes the fish just want smaller baits.

As barbel suck in their food - like carp, tench and bream - the length of the hair is not always hugely important - the whole lot will get sucked in more often than not. Because of this, if you do swap a whole boilie for a half, or one that's trimmed down, don't worry that the bait is now sitting a little further away from the hook.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there no spell checker on these things .

Boilies are not usually supplied with spell checkers. ;)

As for The Source boilies, I've had some for almost 5 years now. They're still good and probably usable, but I've never caught a godamn thing on them. I still use them, more in hope.

Does this boost your confidence?

preston96

Reaction score
Boilies are not usually supplied with spell checkers. ;)

As for The Source boilies, I've had some for almost 5 years now. They're still good and probably usable, but I've never caught a godamn thing on them. I still use them, more in hope.

Does this boost your confidence?

Hahahahah.........luv it Woody.

i think they should call em "Bakies" now? ;) cos boilies they aint! :rolleyes:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Hahahahah.........luv it Woody.

i think they should call em "Bakies" now? ;) cos boilies they aint! :rolleyes:

No, no! They're still very soft because they've been wrapped up to exclude air (in a poly bag with the air sucked out and tied then placed in a plastic tub) and kept in the dark where it's cool. When you buy boilies from a shop, how do you know how old they are? They don't have "Use by" dates on them.

No, I didn't use them at Blenheim. It was stinking maggots that I almost blanked on there. Thank heavens one 3lb perch decided to have a go at big juicy lob.

darrengeorge

Reaction score
> They don't have "Use by" dates on them.

... which is why mine are hand rolled to order and frozen straight off the drying racks :D

preston96

Reaction score
No, no! They're still very soft because they've been wrapped up to exclude air (in a poly bag with the air sucked out and tied then placed in a plastic tub) and kept in the dark where it's cool. When you buy boilies from a shop, how do you know how old they are? They don't have "Use by" dates on them.

No, I didn't use them at Blenheim. It was stinking maggots that I almost blanked on there. Thank heavens one 3lb perch decided to have a go at big juicy lob.

I have the same problem when i am taken short whilst boat fishing :wh

CAT

Reaction score
I have caught loads of Barble, Carp and Chub on the mighty Source, once the fish get the taste they always come back for more, I usually tip a single 14mm boilie with a piece of fake floating corn this just makes it stand out from the rest, as for the hook you cant go wrong with ESP D7 they have a slightly in curved point which helps prevent the hook point getting damaged, and finally get yourself some source stick mix and a bottle of oyster sauce from Morrison’s only £1 mix it in with your stick mix a few chopped boilies and make some small PVA bags and you will catch!

Dont forget to keep feeding 10-15 boilies, every hour or after each fish.

Good luck!

klik2change

Reaction score
It has been implied, but nobody has actually said yet, that better quality boilies are usually much better than cheap ones, and frozen ones are far better than shelf life. Dynamite [who make Source] generally make good baits, as do Mainline and Nutrabaits as well. A reasonable price guide is around £10 - £12 per kilo. The glugs cost a lot of money [especially Mainline] but in my experience are worth buying.

A lot of people swear by Source. I found they worked well for tench and bream, though I prefer the Dynamite halibut boilies and pellets on the river. I use Dynamite monster crab as an alternative bait for barbel, though I find they need soaking in the glug for a long time.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Dynamite Meaty Marine are a good all round boilie too, I have some I glugged in Trigga liquid additive and they nearly always find me a fish in coloured water when the rivers are up.

I must dig them out as I've been using pellets a lot recently, it's funny how sometimes you buy new things and forget about the older tried and trusted stuff.

A

alan whittington

Its amazing i went for a walk on the Ouse above Bedford today with my wife and kids,i grabbed a bag of end of bag 'odds and s*ds' boilies(some source amongst 4 others),i fed 6 swims of which 4 had chub and barbel feeding avidly on all flavours(these swims were heavy snags,where the fish live,so not really relevent to actually fish),but it just goes against everything that ive learnt,i.e. you should only feed one sort of boilie.:confused::rolleyes: