Never seen a rig ANYTHING like it

S

Stuart Bullard

I spent a morning at Frant Fisheries on Sunday (it was yuk). Anyway, I walked towards the lake we were to fish and could not believe my eyes.

Apart from resembling a busy shopping day at Picadilly, nearly everyone had the following set up.

Rod placed vertically in holders that I have only seen sea fishermen use i.e. 3 foot off the ground pointing straight up. All were cast to the middle of the lake. At the end was a large float, a bit like a pike bung which I think was weighted down (not sure about that bit).

To complete the set a 1 foot hook link was then slid down the line with a piece of crust until it rested on the surface (the crust). Effectively this was about half distance from rod to the end float. They were all cast into the middle of the lake (circa 50 yards).

Anyone seen this before ? I read most books and mags and never seen this set up.

There were many other things I whitnessed on this commercial water which I could write about.......it was a bit like being on the film set of Deliverance 2.

B

Brian Lewis

Stuart

I have seen a diagram of this in books in the past but I can't remember which.

I think the idea is that all line near the crust stays clear of the water and doesn't spook the fish. The crust is suspended with the hook concealed so that it looks like any other free offering.

I've never tried it myself and have never seen anyone else doing it.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's an old method known as the 'Beachcaster Rig' and does exactly like Brian describes. It keeps all the line off the surface when presenting a surface bait.

S

Stuart Bullard

It was funny though Graham, this whole lake was festooned with them. When I casually dropped some dog biscuits in the margin it was like a jacuzzi, yet all these were suspended in the middle of the lake with no freebies to get them confident.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've often seen carp taking freebies off the surface in a frenzy, but coming shy of the same bait on a hook every time. They even get wise to the Beachcaster Rig when it's used as often as you describe on Frant Fisheries.

The best method of the lot, where it's possible, is to drape your line over lily pads with just the floater lying at the edge of the pad. You can then use suitably strong enough gear to get them out with the line being hidden. Or to hang your line off a branch of an overhanging tree or bush so that the floater hangs in the surface film exactly like a freebie.

M

Margot Twine

I have seen similar at a local stillwater.The set up used two beach rod stands so the rod was horizontal 6ft off the deck and a dog biscuit just touching the surface in the margin.The guy had three successful hits while I was there.

G

Gary Knowles

Its banned on loads of waters as well Stuart. Principally as a)its very effective and b) it looks ridiculous !!!

M

Mark Williams

If the beachcaster rig's banned, give the pendulum rig a whirl. It's easy to make, and it works, with none of the problems associated with the beachcaster. If anyone wants details, drop me a line.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Mark, send details to me and I'll publish it for all to see - if it's safe of course:)-)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
And what have you been doing with yourself lately?

M

Mark Williams

My personal life is none of your concern, Marsden! lol I'm freelancing - a euphemism for not having a job. Getting some fishing in, too. The rig'll be on its way to you soon.

M

Mark Williams

Just as soon as you tell me how to send the diagram, I'll send it...

K

Kevan Farmer

I've always wondered why nobody has come up with a float with a 'T' piece on the top. Enabling the line to be held away from the top of the float - I'm talking about a top end only fixing of course, a controller float. Agreed it would be a bit of a pig to cast but it should be fine for fairly close in work. Think of a hangman's gallows with a counterbalance and you'll know what I'm envisioning.

Kevan

R

Rodney Wrestt

Kevan,
There was a float around a while ago (don't know if it still is) which was like a ping pong ball with a quivertip attached, the tip had a guide and it was meant to hold the line out of the water when floater fishing but I thought the same as you about the casting.

M

Mark Williams

Gentlemen, you are referring to the pendulum rig. I've e-mailed Graham a diagram which fully explains it. I made myself one about ten years ago, and caught a couple of fish on it. Mine uses black rigid tubing as the 'quivertip' and you'd think the carp would steer clear - but most don't. It's not awful for casting, but not brill either - say 30 yards max. But is does drift very nicely...

M

Mick Weston

I remember that rig. The version I saw was a piece of rig tube pushed through a poly egg with a weight on the tubing just below the egg to make it "cock". The tubing was about 15" above the float. The hooklength was slightly shorter and emerged from the top, the weight of the bait made the float sit at an angle and was balanced so that the bait just touched the surface.

The rig sounds like it will work in theory as there is no line directly next to the bait - only problem is that you have a montrosity of a float sat a foot away which carp must have wised up to pretty quick. I would imagine it would behave like a pig in a breeze also!!!

C

Carp Angler

Gardner have sold one for quite a while.
Suspender
I've used it in the past, but remember it losing it's ability to cock after a few fish.

M

Mike Lee

The only suspenders I'm interested in are usually attached to a pretty lady Rik!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Mark William's Pendulum Rig is <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1931>here</A>.

M

Mark Williams

Graham is quite right; the credit for this rig belongs to Gardener Tackle, and its proprietary name had slipped my mind. May apologies. As I say in the rigs page, the key is being able to move the polyball - the higher you slide it, the more 'lift' it gives the bait/hooklength. That solves the problem Carp Angler describes.