Another idiots question

V

vince battams

Whats the difference between a 2.5 t/c carp rod and 2.5 t/c pike rod?

S

stu black

Funny that. I was looking at an advert today, shimano nexave 2.75 carp rod ?84.99 shimano nexave pike rod ?62.99.

Confused me too.

C

Carp Angler

I'd suggest that a pike rod will have a more through action, all the better for 'lobbing' large deadbaits out.
Carp rods will be more tippy and a good thump from a stiffer tipped rod, will probably pull the hooks out of the bait.

If you want all through action then take a butchers at the Fox Method Masters
(Cue Andy Wilkes to blather on about how good they are and cheap)

T

The Monk

Carp anglers right, its the action, carp rods are essentially designed to cast lighter baits and as such need a softer butt action, pike rods are traditionally designed to cast heavier baits and so need a stifer butt action both can retain a 2.5 tc

C

Cakey

And we all like a stiffer action.
So use a pike rod for pva bags and method fishing?

T

The Monk

Traditionally and from the days of cane and glass carp rods were built in a compound action, thats a through action, then all the long range stuff came out in the seventies, the new materials carbon, changed things a little in that the new properties reacted differently for their respective test curves, I think pike rods though from a design and not material view point, have changed little.

T

The Monk

Vince, I'm not being pedantic here, but do you think you could ad some sort of numerical system to your threads only I'm getting a bit confused on all these another idiots questions, no offense mate.

A

Alan (brush) Broomhead

Hi Guys (and Wendy),
Having spent the last week reading all these wonderful threads, thought that I may as well come and introduce myself. Have a few questions and anecdotes to share later, but for now, the one intriguing question, is for Monk ..... are you a true Mancunian?
(I ask out of geniune curiosity, I'm a manc born and bred, and have the webbed feet to prove it ;-)
Just to keep the thread on course....yep, that's the only difference, CA and Monk got it spot on!!

B

Bob Watson

If faced with two identically finished rods (cosmetics not action) without any tech spec printed on them, one sold as a carp rod the other for pike, how many people could tell me which was which?
Given that you'd have 50/50 odds to start with.

T

The Monk

Yes Alan I'm a true red bloodied Manc, I was born in Manchester so as to be close to my parents!

T

The Monk

Thanks also for the support Alan, I don't often get things right though and have found bullshit often baffles brains, well it works for me!

T

The Monk

Bob, flex each rod against the ceiling, the softer actioned carp rod will produce a greater and more uniform parobolic curve, the pike rod should bend more on the top section only and straigthen more towards the butt, flex them at about a 90% right angle!

A

Alan (brush) Broomhead

Ink man Stu??......guess the fact I have to ask, means I'm not huh??....lol

No problem Monk....praise where praise is due, has always been my motto. (btw...90% right angle?? ... that would be about 81 degreees, right??....grin)

T

The Monk

Probably, never was one for maths, should I have said 45, I hope his rods are alright?, well I am a Manc, nice to meet you anyway Alan!

B

Bob Watson

Monk, I know that! Think I'm fick or summit? One answer to my question so far!
Any more takers?
BTW Monk don't you mean DIVINER