Alternatives to Elips Pellets

Matthew White

Reaction score
Hi All

For the last 2 seasons I have used Elips Pellets from Hinders. Although I rate them I think the cost of them along with the delivery charge (£10+) is a bit expensive. I am looking for alternative hook pellets to try.
I like the elips as I glue 2 of them back to back onto my hair rigs, this gives me confidence that the hook bait is always there.
Does anyone know where I can get some Elips pellets without paying the huge delivery costs?

Failing that what other pellets do you use?
Does it matter?

Matt

sagalout

Reaction score
I'd be interested if anyone thinks it makes a difference. I use skretting and cc moore coarse pellets and marine halibut high oil, with no discernible difference in results, I also get the same results on sweetcorn as with pellets.

I also get no difference in results whether I band them or drill and rig with a korum quick stop. Oh yeah I also get no difference between 6mm and 8mm on the hair.

I do tend to fish what Slime Monster calls easy waters so that maybe why I don't see any difference.

Skretting pellets are currently available for £32 per 25kg delivered from sakup baits Sakup Baits this is the cheapest I have been able to find them on the web. I was getting them locally for £30 but the bloke seems to have ceased trading.

Matthew White

Reaction score
Sagalout - I never thought about using the Korum Quickstops. I had problems last year when my regular boilie stops kept falling out and I was losing my bait. I got round this by using the Fox pellet pegs but they dont work so well on smaller sized pellets.
What size pellets can you go down to when using the Quickstops? What type of drill do you use?

Matt

Matthew White

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed about the Elips is the amont of oil which comes out of them. The bag which they are stored in is covered in the stuff.
I suppose the shape helps them stay in the swim and not get washed away in the current.

I beleive they are an excellet bait but they work out at £17.00 for 2 kilos if you buy them from Hinders. Are they THAT good??

Dave Burr

Reaction score
The reason Elips are so good is down to the high oil content. They are designed to promote fast growth in salmon and have nearly 40% protein content. If you want to find an alternative for your summer fishing then look at the amount of protein the pellets contain.

Having said that, some of the lower protein pellets (such as coarse pellets) will still work very well, they are all acceptable to fish and what fishes best one day will be different the next.

I tend to use a mixture to create a long and enticing scent trail and buy them in bulk sacks of 15 to 25 kgs.

As a matter of interest - for Graham - the Elips pellet is so shaped to make it sink slower in still water thus giving the captive salmon more chance of taking them before they hit the bottom and spoil. It makes it more difficult to loose feed with them in running water than with a cylindrical type pellet of a round boilie.

Bluenose

Reaction score
........the Elips pellet is so shaped to make it sink slower in still water thus giving the captive salmon more chance of taking them before they hit the bottom and spoil.

Now I for one didn't know that!

sagalout

Reaction score
I use the quick stops on 8mm pellets, I buy the pre drilled high oil, and only use those as bait, not loose feed (£3 kilo and that lasts me about 18months, but I have been so successful on the banded 6mm coarse that I probably won't bother with the 8mm high oil again). The hole is to small for the quick stop so I open it out with a (can't remember, if you really need to know I will go and look) 2, 2.5 or 3mm drill. I always have drill bits for working on the house so I just drill the required bit into the end of an 8mm hard wood dowel, withdraw the drill bit, take the drill bit out of the drill and push the shank of the drill bit into the hole just drilled in the dowel. Total cost exactly about very little. BTW way I do the same with a smaller drill bit for me dog biscuits and then just pull a small band into the dog biscuit to secure it.

As for wanting high oil pellets, couldn't you coat some coarse pellets in van de yme (or whatever the name is) pellet oil with added betaine and added whatever flavour of the month is?

£17 for 2kilo :eek: I gotta say I would want a night out with a loose woman and some change for that.

Seriously, I would try some cheaper pellets and see if there is a marked difference.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I agree with most of what has been said above Matt. I don't worry too much about my hook bait and normally use either the Bait Tech drilled 8mm pellets (although they look a bit more like 10mm to me) or a banded Sensas carp pellet.

For my feed I use a mix of 4mm and 6mm pellets glugged with The Source. When comparing results with mates who use ellips I've not noticed any great difference. I've come to the conclusion that it's really a matter of confidence in your bait and the attractiveness of your feed.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

I'm doing a Barbel Society gig at Wetherby on 3rd June so we can have a chat about it then if you can make it.

I was going to call it A Guide to the 10 Best Barbel Swims in Yorkshire, but I think they wimped out and it will be called Yorkshire Barbel Fishing;)

Matthew White

Reaction score
Hi Sean - How you doing?

I remember you saying a while ago you were going to try the Korum pellet pegs with your 8mm drilled pellets. How did they work out?

I have made a note in the diary for Wetherby, June 3rd. Looking forward to it mate.

Matt

quickcedo

Reaction score
Are Ellips pellets worth the money?
You can go to your local water and catch on a 50/50 high attract boilie costing very little or, you can use a boilie which has a nutritional balance high food content costing quite a lot. I guess ye pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Does one catch more than the other? Probably not! You can't beat good presentation in the right place.
So are Elips pellets worth the money? In my opinion NO.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I tend to use them just on hook with very few freebees. Use GP Pellets of Middlewich for feed pellets.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Why not just use a cheap bag of halibut pellets ive caught plenty of fish with them even some big ones too.I will say that Ellips pellets have been good for me when barbel fishing

longi

Reaction score
marine halibut pellets

personally i use marine halibut pellets and i do really well for barbel wive them. If there feeding i think they would take most baits to be honest.

A

alan whittington

Ive a major concern,how long do you think your feed pellets remain in your swim,ive found that as the pellets absorb water and become slightly bouyant they move away in the flow(even quite moderate stream),taking what precious fish in the swim with them,this seems a worse problem if the feed is being pestered by small fish,i think that is why the blockend is a better medium for feeding as the pellets are dry,so stay longer.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
If you keep a steady stream of bait going in the fish will 'source' the food line and stay in your swim.

How much and how often? That is the what you will spend the rest of your life discovering.

A

alan whittington

If you keep a steady stream of bait going in the fish will 'source' the food line and stay in your swim.

How much and how often? That is the what you will spend the rest of your life discovering.
Yep Dave,then there's the fish that sit below the feed,by varying distances(that seem to increase during the session),ive been fishing for years and fish used to come to the feeder,now they seem to hang back,even on non-pressured stretches.