Alternatives to Elips Pellets

Reaction score
pellets

the halibut pellet is awesome at times and much cheaper.you can buy them ready drilled.i never go without them.
albert

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
£17 for a night out with a cheap women.....what a cheap-skate!!

....I suppose the change is for her bus fare home......

Good thread this -cannot comment but I'm learning a bit...!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
'halves'.........don't know if I can run to that sort of cost-bit rich for my blood I'm afraid...

Anyway,so as to keep focused on the subject matter....Marine Halibut pellets-are we talking still or running water,or both?
I have persevered with this bait(in still water only)but cannot seem to catch(after carp-but this bait rarely used in this water from what I understand)so consequently I lack confidence in using this bait and tend to fall back on other(fairly successful)baits.

I WOULD like to give it a proper trial but(perhaps)I've not got the introductory feeding right and/or the bait size is wrong!
I have 6mm and 14mm baits drilled by Dynamite Baits which I hair rig so other aspects of the tackle seem okay as I catch fish on other baits!

So,any special approach needed with THIS bait and,what constitutes a fair time for a decent trial??

I realise all waters are different so any answers cannot be specific but,nevertheless I would welcome comments from those that do well with this bait....

Thanks!

ps I have also tried Boilies of this flavour without success but catch on boilies of other flavours!

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I use 8mm halibut pellets with great success for carp, tench, bream and roach. I hair rig them with a quick stop but I have just tied some rigs with a long hair tipped with a pellet band I can pull the pellet band through the halibut pellet and band a 6mm coarse pellet as the boilie stop.

I want this for tench on a water that has a lot of skimmers and I want to try and deter them from taking the hook.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
hello, I have noticed massive differences in catch rates related to size and breakdown rates of different pellets.

I consult for Teme-Severn therefore I get to try lots of pellets and pellets are not all equal

In summer (daytime clear water) I like to superglue 2x 4mm elips type pellets ( daytime but with some colour) i prefer the higher leak off and faster breakdown of a "sooty" crustacean pellet.

As light drops I will go to a larger sized elips or double crustacean

(reds also score very well)

During darkness I will switch to quads and double quads of elips/ sooties

( sooties breakdown ultra fast...you cannot sleep on sooties unlike elips...30-40 minutes max in high summer)

grind some pellets down as well to make a wrap...very effective boost

if anyone wants to try the pellets i used last season to get 200+ barbel please contact Steve Hitch at Teme Severn and i am sure he will be happy to supply my full range of baits to you...but beware if you buy all the lot...it may get pricey.

I recomend a starter pack of sooties, elips, and mini-mix with a bottle of activator

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I (sort of) agree with Lee. My opinion is that hook bait size is important, especially on more pressured waters, and small baits definitely out-score larger baits in clear water.

I'm not so sure that the type/brand of hook bait matters at all. It's your feed that attracts a fish into your swim and once they are feeding they tend to pick up evrything edible providing they aren't spooked. I'm going to experiment with artificial baits this season - I've used them a lot for carp over the past few years (the ultimate challenge to my confidence was to present 3 rubber casters in the margins without any feed at all) so I can't see why they won't work for barbel.

A mate of mine uses halibut pellets a lot and he insists that some brands give much better results than others. He says the trick is to look for the ones with a 'greeny' sheen to them. I think his preferred brand is Dynamite, but obviously other brands will source from the same suppliers.

I prefer to use a mix of small (4 and 6mm) pellets for my feed - usually betaine, halibut and carp in roughly equal quantities. I must say that Dave Mason's pellets have worked well for me (won then in a raffle!), but not significantly better than my usual mix.

A

alan whittington

Sean,i take it there would be exceptions to the small bait in clear water theory,i.e. if your fishing a water with a head of smaller fish(roach,dace or chublets etc)or eels(and yes there are still enough around to be a nuisance in places),then bigger baits feed and hook would be acceptable,yes or no?:confused:

johnnyfby

Reaction score
some one please tell me different, but i was always under the assumption that its the oil used in the pellet that makes it a Halbut pellet(halibut oil), Salmon pellets(salmon oil) elips pellets(elips oil) etc.

Jon

A

alan whittington

Jon,i will probably be told im wrong,but halibut and salmon pellets are feed for the species named,i believe 'elips' pellets are a trade name,so named because they are elliptical in shape.;)

johnnyfby

Reaction score
cheers Alan, i knex someone would put me right. It has got me thinking though, skrettings are faily dry when you buy them in bulk, you could always boost them with some salmon oil.

Jon

sagalout

Reaction score
some one please tell me different, but i was always under the assumption that its the oil used in the pellet that makes it a Halbut pellet(halibut oil), Salmon pellets(salmon oil) elips pellets(elips oil) etc
I don't think so, I believe trout, halibut, salmon, etc pellets are so named because that is the fish they are designed to feed, not because that is the fish used to make them.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Sean,i take it there would be exceptions to the small bait in clear water theory,i.e. if your fishing a water with a head of smaller fish(roach,dace or chublets etc)or eels(and yes there are still enough around to be a nuisance in places),then bigger baits feed and hook would be acceptable,yes or no?:confused:

I'm talking 6 or 8mm pellets and small fish usually aren't too much of a problem. Chub can be a bit of a nuisance at times, but I don't mind catching them.