Keepnets...

E

EC

I am aware that some fisheries insist on 2 keepnets, one for carp and another for silvers.

Is there any actual difference in the material that the nets are made from, or are both nets exactly the same?

Also what would you say the best 'all round' keepnet is for use mainly with silvers?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Eddie,
We (myself, son and brothers) use two nets each by choice as the waters I fish are not laden with rules like the ones down south (we don't even have an official close season).

The only reason I use two is to protect the smaller fish from the weight ( ahem :eek:) ) of the larger fish, seriously, a five pound carp,tech or bream shouldn't be allowed to lie on a fish of a couple of ounces, especially when removing the net from the water.

I use two carp friendly nets from Kenets and as long as care is used letting the fish swim down the net before lifting from the water, then there's no problem with them.

I do like the look of those new rubber mesh nets that have been released recently, although I've only seen the landing net, I'd use a keepnet on the same material.

T

The Monk

yes I think modern materials are much more fish friendly, when I started fishing nets were all knotted, no ideal for any fish really and for carp we used open weave hessien sacks from the grocers, many being too small for larger carp

R

Rodney Wrestt

You should've been able to use your habbit Monk :eek:)

Good to see you mate, it's been a while, hope all's well with you and the family..... and the harem :eek:)

T

The Monk

I have used me habit but dont tell anybody, anyway I dont make an habit out of it!

Yes, I`m good Rodders, I have a few vacancies in the harem though, hope everythings alright with you mate

R

Rodney Wrestt

I'm glad it's not Habit forming, too many fish these days have a diet which I regard as too catholic..... I mean what's wrong wiv good ol' maggot?

Unfortunately, like yourself I'm having difficulty finding gullible women to join the harem....I mean my exclusive club...... must be suffering from S.A.D.S. or sumfink it'll pick up in summer, it usually does.

J

Jeff Spiller

Good question EC , I don't own any keepnets, but will need a pair for Clattercote.
Would be grateful if anyone can recommend a pair of nets that would suit.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
My dad and I are also going to get one each as we want to have a match on the canal between ourselves. Although judging by the amount of fish he caught today I'm going to lose.
Rodney, I thought of the bigger fish in a net aswell and decided anything I catch with my dad over 3lbs should be weighed and put back.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Christian,
It's really a personal choice (keepnets are designed for fish retention, modern ones geared towards the carp match field, suitable for more and larger species), match anglers think nothing of placing 50lb (or more)of carp in each net, 6 fish of around 8lb in a 12' net gives enough room for movement, although, for pleasure fishing weighing a larger fish and releasing it does have it's merits.

E

EC

As a kid, I used to love looking at my catch at the end of a days fishing. Whether it was 5 tiny perch or a daddy (1lb) tench! At the pond on our estate, if you had a few fish when you lifted your net out, you were the man for the next week or so.

So, this summer, where allowed, and when I can be arsed carrying it I am going to revisit those times and use a keepnet.

Stitch that keepnet police!

Reaction score
I have two, one carp and one silver fish. They have hung from the ceiling of my "rod room" (in their stink bags) for nearly two years. I have them for when I next fish a match!!!!!! Other than that never use them. I try never to handle a fish directly, always attempting to unhook and return the fish direct from the landing net.

And yet, I have to say, as the net materials get better and better, and club policies are more enlightened about the size of fish to be retained and the length of any fish retention in the nets.....I am tempted, sorely tempted to follow EC and return to my childhood.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Small fish in nets are OK Eddie but why go putting bigger specimens in nets for several hours purely to satisfy your vanity? Matches are one thing, other than that leave the smelly wet nets at home!

njb51

Reaction score
Whats the difference in having them in the net for pleasure and having them in the net for a match?

T

trev matthews

instead of a keepnet, when me and my friends go fishing, we have a side bet of a quid for the first fish, a quid for the biggest fish and a quid for the most fish. The first fish is always the most important due to it alo being the biggest and most. I also have two keepnets which I use for matches, but normally when i pleasure fish i dont use one.

E

EC

Satisfy my vanity? The enjoyment of seeing my catch at the end of the odd fishing session is hardly akin to a hair transplant or plastic surgery Pete!

I never said anything about bigger specimens either mate, but I did ask a question on net differences and also for recommendations though!

If a keepnet is allowed, and is good enough for a match angler, then it is also good enough for me should I choose to use one!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Jonny, the difference between a days pleasure fishing and a match is usually about six hours.
Would you keep fish in the net that long so you look at them at the end of the session?
And dont tell me you would empty the net back into your swim after five hours.

njb51

Reaction score
"Would you keep fish in the net that long so you look at them at the end of the session?"

Yes, i'd probably weigh them too.

F

Fred Bonney

The differenmce is Jonny,in a match you need to keep them in the net,for the weigh in.
For pleasure fishing,you don't!

EC,you can buy two matching nets from most dealers, as a set,the carp nets are probably larger,materials are not the same same,colour may be different too.