250lb Sturgeon caught in the Trent

Reaction score
Ive caught a couple, they seem to be appearing in quite a few stillwaters, as someone suggested its only a matter of time before they get into the river system again.

Reaction score
If surgeons are increasingly appearing on the Trent and commercials then perhaps this explains the state of the NHS.

I am glad one of these surgeons have been caught. I hope they make an example of him.

The bad one

Reaction score
Before we get carried away with this, you should know there is only one sturgeon native to British waters. scientific name (Acipenser sturio) the rest are immigrants brought in by the fish trade and by those looking for a cash cow.

The Acipenser sturio is found all around the European and North Africancoast and their river systems. This species when maturelive in the sea and coastal waters only coming into the river systems to breed.Juveniles and adolescents can be found in the lower reaches of large rivers in nurseries and take up to 15 years to reach maturity.

They were even when they were common ( pre 1700s)in British rivers, a rare beast indeed.

In the Northern Hemisphere there are about 23 different species and some have the ability to hybridise including the British native species.

I personally would question the ethics of stocking any of the 23speciesinto land-locked lakes as they on maturity are stopped from migrating and fulfilling their full life cycle potential.

I also think you'll find the EA now deem the stocking of any of the species as illegal

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Paxmans book , I think ralates a tale about a giant sturgeon being captured from a river pool where it had become stranded.

iveadenuf

Reaction score
apparantly I heard that they still live in the severn, still dont know where

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I was watching some film of the small rowing boats being towed around by massive Tuna. This was off the shore at Grimsby, anglers camefrom all over the world.

great to watch