36lb CAT Fish From the Trent

Lee Swords

Reaction score
no...Barbel are idigenous to the majority of Eastern flowing rivers as they were at one point part of a European super catchment

Reaction score
Sorry, I couldn't resit that.

They weren't introduced to the Ribble till the 70s, my history on the origins of barbel in the UK is a bit patchy (still catching up m8)

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Ah yes the Western rivers ...Now that is a different story!

You will not hear me supporting the introduction of Barbel into Western flowing rivers...I may be a xenophobe...But I'm not an hypocrit /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Barbel are native to the Trent system...Thats allI need to know /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

.....and we are talking about catfish in the Trent, aren't we?

Reaction score
That's so passe Fred!

Sorry, I went off on one.

I agree with Lee's attitude towards preserving our native species, but I'm also happy some chap put some barbel in the Ribble for me to catch!

If a catch a cat on theRibble then I'd be inclined to knobble it too (ugly b#gg#ers too).

captain carrott

Reaction score
You will not hear me supporting the introduction of Barbel into Western flowing rivers.

so you're going to knock every one you catch on the next ribble fish in on the head and have a nice barby with it then lee?

no hypocracy there then!

F

Fred Bonney

No hypocracy,I wouldn't have thought.

Apparently they don't taste any good./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

S

sash

Let's knock every carp anyone catches from stillwater or river on the head too then, 'cause they are a completely alien species to this country. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

captain carrott

Reaction score
cause they are a completely alien species to this country.

apart from the fact that they've been here longer than most of you lot's ancestors.

if you consider that they were probably first introduced by the romans as a food supply.

and considering that the romans left C400 AD then carp are at least 600 years more indigenous than you bunch of foriegner interlopers who came across here snatching our land and throwing your weight about with the normans.

captain carrott

Reaction score
what's more Wells catfish are indigenous to the rhine.

which it is well documented has an old tributary, which is currently called the river trent.

so the fish is actually indigenous to the river system of which the trent is a tributary.

so mr sword stuff that up yer pipe and smoke it.

T

Tony Rocca

and bring back the woolly mammoth too.

What a plank./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

PHd plank,say's it all really,not worth the paper(used to be wood once)it's written on!

captain carrott

Reaction score
not worth the paper(used to be wood once)it's written on!

says the man without one.

sorry fred but they are a requirement in my line of work. you don't get the job without one.

webo

Reaction score
Cat you have put one among the pigeons with this thread mate,

DING DING round two.

captain carrott

Reaction score
I could always come along to your work and give you a bit of advice for your job fred.

i'd tell you which end of the broom handle to hold at least.

F

Fred Bonney

The only problem Jason, is that while you were wasting your time getting a bit of paper, I was out earning good money, enabling me to comfortably retire at 52.

If getting a paper qualification, allows you to show peoplethe way to hold a broom, then it was obviously well worththe taxpayers, giving youtheir hard earned.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Best thread in ages....Laughing my gonads off!

If the wells was indeeegenooos to the Trent I would have no grief...but they aren't...and they taste good.

Barbel taste crap and the males may even be poisonous