Reaction score
Hi everyone, My name is Andy, (the handle - Ben from on old pirate book I read as a kid) I recently got left stock from a fishing shop, but as looking through the stuff, I've become quite interested in fishing myself. I am looking to save myself some equipment for Pike Fishing, so I've kept all the triple hooks, a rod that says Pike and Carp, some Minow lures, some 12lb Mono line and a reel. Could anyone tell me what other things I should keep? I have tons of soft shot, does anyone know if I would need this for Pike fishing in the future and what size? Would I need to keep some bait droppers, as I have a whole box of these.

john step

Reaction score
Hi everyone, My name is Andy, (the handle - Ben from on old pirate book I read as a kid) I recently got left stock from a fishing shop, but as looking through the stuff, I've become quite interested in fishing myself. I am looking to save myself some equipment for Pike Fishing, so I've kept all the triple hooks, a rod that says Pike and Carp, some Minow lures, some 12lb Mono line and a reel. Could anyone tell me what other things I should keep? I have tons of soft shot, does anyone know if I would need this for Pike fishing in the future and what size? Would I need to keep some bait droppers, as I have a whole box of these.
As Keora says above. Pike are not for newbies to fishing. People are wary of their teeth. They are predators its true but fragile enough to need proper handling on the bank and fished for in a way that does not result in deep hooking and a lingering death.
If you intend to start fishing I suggest you start small although the start of winter is not the most productive time. Try a commercial fishery where bites will be easier to come by.
If you start fishing as a pike angler please go with someone who knows the ropes. As you have inherited some stock you should be able to find such a person?
The website Keora posted above is a good read. Its the PIKE ANGLERS website.

Keith M

Reaction score
There’s a lot more to Pike fishing than you might think Benjamin.

You really need someone with you who can show you how to handle and remove hooks from the pikes mouth without cutting your hands to shreds and without causing harm to the Pike.
This in itself can be a daunting procedure especially if you are a beginner and haven’t been shown how to confidently perform this task.

You also need Pike traces otherwise it’s teeth will cut through your line very very easily, and wire cutters and forceps for unhooking purposes, plus you’d be advised to use either ‘single’ or semi Barbed ‘double’ hooks; or semi barbless treble hooks which have two points ‘unbarbed’ and the third point with a small barb for attaching your bait.

You will also need a large landing net (i.e. 42” triangular or 36” inch circular) and a decent sized unhooking mat. Also ‘Pike Gags’ and ‘Gaffs’ are ‘illegal’ to use in the UK; and have been for years; and rightly so.

Bottom line : read and digest all of the info in the link given by others above; and go with someone who can show you how to do it safely (for you and any Pike you may catch).

Keith

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Keora says above. Pike are not for newbies to fishing. People are wary of their teeth. They are predators its true but fragile enough to need proper handling on the bank and fished for in a way that does not result in deep hooking and a lingering death.
If you intend to start fishing I suggest you start small although the start of winter is not the most productive time. Try a commercial fishery where bites will be easier to come by.
If you start fishing as a pike angler please go with someone who knows the ropes. As you have inherited some stock you should be able to find such a person?
The website Keora posted above is a good read. Its the PIKE ANGLERS website.
Thank-you. Yes, it would be a bad idea, as it seems a little daunting. Thank-you for the advice.

Reaction score
There’s a lot more to Pike fishing than you might think Benjamin.

You really need someone with you who can show you how to handle and remove hooks from the pikes mouth without cutting your hands to shreds and without causing harm to the Pike.
This in itself can be a daunting procedure especially if you are a beginner and haven’t been shown how to confidently perform this task.

You also need Pike traces otherwise it’s teeth will cut through your line very very easily, and wire cutters and forceps for unhooking purposes, plus you’d be advised to use either ‘single’ or semi Barbel ‘double’ hooks; or semi barbless treble hooks which have two points ‘unbarbed’ and the third point with a small barb for attaching your bait.

You will also need a large landing net (42” triangular or 36” inch circular) because ‘Pike Gags’ are ‘illegal’ to use in the UK; and have been for years; and rightly so; so a large landing net is needed.

Bottom line : read and digest all of the info in the link given by others above; and go with someone who can show you how to do it safely (for you and any Pike you may catch).

Keith
Ahh, I see. No, I've changed my mind on Pike fishing, for now anyway. That was my fear...not being able to get the hooks out, so I was planning to use barbless ones, bur regardless, I see that I would have to go with someone experienced. thank-you for the advice. At least I know what the line trace is for and that I can't sell the Pike gags.

keora

Reaction score
Out of interest, what type of fishing do you hope to do?

Reaction score
Well, Ive never fished in my life. As ive slowly been selling the stuff, ive grown an appreciation for how technical it all is, but what really made me fall in love with the idea of doing it, is some of the antique rods and reels in his collection. I fell in love with this little Cortland Fly reel and personal collection of fly's. I also love the ABU Ambassador reels. The Mitchel fresh water reel, a carbon fibre Salmon fly rod labelled £120 in the 90's still in protective plastic. He had a beautiful box of Salmon Flies and when I look at them, I am imagining me, with my Carbon Fibre Salmon rod, with my Cortland fly reel, camping in some lake up in Scotland and cooking fish over a fire. It will probably never happen, as I am quite nieve about fishing. I got told to keep some stuff for myself, for the hard work selling, so Im just going to choose one type of fishing and take 1 nice rod, 1 nice reel and some hooks and stuff . The Pike thing just came from a lad who bought a standard Pike rod from me, and he said hed take me fishing, so I thought OK. Pike it is.

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
How did you get involved with selling quality fishing tackle when you’ve never been fishing?

Reaction score
How did you get involved with selling quality fishing tackle when you’ve never been fishing?
My mother in law worked in the Fishing Tackle shop for 30 years. She has been left the stock, but tasked me with selling the fishing stock, as it was small fry compared to the owners properties that that to be sold quickly, and all stock had to be cleared or binned. I guess, I am the only computer literate person in the family, and even though the stock to me is free, I could earn more money - even on minimum wage than putting it on ebay using my time. However, I have grown a love of the product I am selling. A real interest in these beautiful things. My time here is done. I will probably end up keeping everything, paying £500 towards the owners care home fees, as even though I dont go sea fishing, fly fishing or any kind of fishing, I cant bear to sell these beautiful things until I retire and almost certainly will take up some kind of fishing someday. Thank- you Over and out

Reaction score
I am sorry, for being abrupt.. and I thank you for your help. Its just I maybe took your last message wrong. It just seemed a litle off. I am not sure what my experience of fishing has to do with being left with the task of selling the owners stock

mikench

Reaction score
Andy any forum like FM and others can be a vehicle for selling stuff like fishing tackle, golf clubs , car parts or whatever the forum is about. Any items for sale could be stolen and unfortunately new members are unknown quantities. The members here look out for one and other and are very helpful to novices as you will discover if you stay and post. Few new anglers go for pike fishing before learning some of the basics. After all you would struggle with a Marlin if you have never fished or driving a F1 car if you had never raced. Nobody was being rude just cautious as to your background.