a few questions

A

andy connor

i've been sea fishing now for 1 whole month but i was course fishing for 20 years so ive got a couple of questions to help me convert.
1)why are the hooks so big ie anything over size 4 looks massive
2)when course fishing if you come across a shoal of small fish you can be assured that there'll be bigger fish about does this apply or is it better to move.
3)do specimen hunters in sea fishing exist or is everyone a specie hunter
4)peeler crabs are there suppliers or is it get your own job
5)does anyone know how a 3lb test curve rod would be described if it was a sea rod ie casting weight etc
5 questions in one letter dont let anyone say i waste paper.
i am enjoying this sea fishing lark its like going back 20 years everythings new and a new pb list to create.
all these species that i have to catch for the first time...wheres me rods

C

Chris Bishop

Baits are often bigger, the fish have bigger mouths and you're generally hoping they'll hook themselves.

There are speciment hunters, Henry Gilbey from Devon often writes about speciemn hunting in Sea Angler.

You can get them frozen some times of the year but keen people collect their own.

Probably only the lightest rating - it certainly wouldn't have the backbone to lob an 8oz lead any distance but would be ok for using lighter gear, say two or three oz of lead and a moderate cast, or float fishing off piers, breakwaters etc.

I like i too despite being totally rubbish at it. Roll on spring (winter's pants where I live).."

A

alan outen

if your catching why move? i spend many a weekend fishing for small whiting, great fun and better then none at all.
if you find small fish the bigger ones do hunt them so you might get lucky.
peelercrabs cost about a ?1each frozen or fresh, so its a lot cheaper to find your own.

K

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi andy

Some thoughts on question 5: -
A 3 lb test curve rod is very light for sea fishing. You can only use it off the shore and even there in limited circumstances - a large bass would cause you severe problems, i.e. it could snap it. In terms of casting weight, I would limit lead to at most 2 ounces, which is fine if you keep the main line down to 10-12 lb b/s and the tackle sized accordingly. The problem is that you could be happily fishing for a plaice and then a ray comes along and you are in serious bother. The same goes for other species like bass cod and smoothhound, all routinely caught from the shore. Even decent shore pollack and coalfish will cause you problems. Most modern boat rods are in the 8-12 lb category and they are considered light sea rods, whereas many rise as high as 30 lbs and even 50 lbs.

Shore anglers typically start with a light bass rod, equivalent to a salmon spinning rod. It needs to have some backbone in it to muscle larger fish ashore.

Beachcasters are rated according to the weight they cast comfortably, typically around the 4-8 ox (up to 200 grams) mark. You will need to purchase one if you want to fish at distance and/or for larger fish like cod. Try joining a sea angling club and test cast other people's rods to see what suits your particular style. You can then possibly buy it off the angler second hand and learn the tricks as well...

Whiting will not cause you any problems on your 3 lb test rod, but as you say, where there are shoals of smaller fish there will be predators...

Hope this helps...

A

andy connor

cheers lads looking forward to the first trip of the new year and im gonna invest in some beach rods soon

J

jason fisher

andy
large bass won't cause that many problems on a 3lb tc rod, after all you can land a 50 lb carp on a 3lb rod, which fight a lot harder than a 10lb bass.
the thing is to use the rod for float fishing from piers or rocks or spinning for bass.
and don't catch a double figure conger on it like i did, because you will be in LOTS of trouble then.

J

jason fisher

andy the other thing is once you've tied up a few 6/0 conger traces for boat fishing, dont try tying a size 20 to 1lb your brain gives in

A

andy connor

:) yeah i can imagine i'll get confused and end up tying 6/0 to a 1lb bottom i was wondering about the bass coz ive had big pike and carp on the rods and double figure barble on rods with half the test curve i thought it was tide related that i'd be in trouble

J

jason fisher

big bass pull hard but bass rods are lighter than beach casters because they don't grow that big your average bass rod is probably about 3lb tc anyway.