A lovely Story

P

petsrod

My real name is Peter Rodaway,in the 1950s I regularly fished with R.T.Atkinson,known as Bob to his mates, also Ken Bartlett.(see the rear of "Quest for Carp" by Jack Hilton.Sadly Ken died a few years ago and Bob just a few days ago.(June 2005)
I started carp fishing withwith them botat "North Stoneham Lakes" in the early fifties and we all were heavily influenced by "**** Walker" We owe 50% of our successes to **** by his writings. My mother bought "Still Water Angling" for me as a birthday present,my 17th. T o the best of my knowledge a 26lb.8oz. mirror caught by me in June 1960 was the best fish the three of us caught at Stoneham.
The point of this post is to contribute to the legend that was **** and to suggest that a permanent memorial to the greatest angler this country has ever known be established.
Could someone organise a fund to that end,I would gladly contribute.
Did **** die so young because he was a heavy smoker?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Peter,

My dear friend Eric Hodson worked like a trojan for several years to try to establish a fitting memorial to Richard Walker.

But he couldn't somehow get the support. He was able to collect a little money but inevitably he had to return this to the people who had donated it.

Eric wanted a plaque to be put up in Winchester Cathedral, close to Isaak Walton's memorial. I suggested a monument or a stone plaque that could be placed at Thornton Bridge on the Upper Ouse. But others poo-pooed the idea saying it would be destroyed by vandals.

Sincerely, something needs to be done before the very few of us living who knew him, kick the bucket too.

Maybe we should start the Richard Walker Memorial Fund. Maybe this website could be the fount or catalyst to start this fund.

**** died of cancer, that is true, but it was cancer of the prostrate, not lung cancer.

Barrie Rickards is working on a biography of Walker. I hope it is finished shortly. When that day arrives it is perhaps fitting that somehow we have a **** Walker rememberance day - call it what you like.

If anyone with the same ideals as Peter, myself; and maybe lots of others who recognise the enormous contribution that Richard Stuart Walker made to our sport, could get together at some time in the future, then let them contact me.

I will certainly do all I can to help.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And August 3rd, this year will be 20 years since Walker's death.

P

PAG

Derek,
Whilst I never knowingly met **** Walker I may have met you. In 1967 I was at school in Hitchin and travelled by train from Hatfield. We all used to hang around the station every morning and evening and probably got in your way. My walk to school was down Nightingale road so there were frequent visits to Alan Brown's tackle shop. My fishing buddy at school lived on the Bedford road and we regularly fished at Henlow Cafe pool (always on the bank furthest from the road because of the dust from the lorries in the car park). We also used to fish Arlesey Lake (sadly now a land fill site I think) and the Arlesey pits, the green and blue lagoons.
We also had a couple of school matches on the Ivel at Biggleswade, probably opposite **** Walkers garden but, although I knew of **** at the time I did not realise where he lived (my school almost backed onto Bearton Avenue). I still fish a club water at Henlow which was reputedly stocked with carp by **** Walker, but most of my fishing now is on the upper Ouse, which brings me on to the story about the day I met Matt Hayes and Mick Brown.....