A Very Significant Fish

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I don’t make any bones about it, I was green with envy. It was a fish I’d dearly love to catch myself and came close to it with a 5lb 15oz fish about four years ago from the same stretch. I was barbel fishing at the time and although that took the shine off it, the pleasing thing was that the 5.15 fish was the first clue we’d had that chub of such stature existed in the stretch. I remember discussing it with Gary and deciding that we should target the stretch for chub in the winter.

Sadly, I fell out with that part of the Dove when it became overrun with anglers who would cut their granny’s throat for a big barbel, and when I began to recognise almost every fish I caught. I moved to the upper Trent and I’ve never been back. Though I will soon, I hope, but not to fish for barbel, at least not along that stretch.

But Gary made a wise decision and occasionally targeted that part of the Dove for chub. We made tentative arrangements several times to fish it together but for one reason or another never made it. When he phoned me with news of his 6.5 I was blown away, both envious and excited at the same time. I couldn’t even bring myself to take the p*ss out of him properly I was so in awe of the fish.

It isn’t the first time I’ve heard of 6-pounders being caught from the Dove, but it’s the first time someone I know well has caught one, and also photographed it very clearly. In all the years I’ve fished the Dove the biggest chub I’ve seen was my own 5.15 fish, so to say sixes are pretty rare is one very extreme understatement. As Gary says, bigger chub may have been caught, but if those who have caught them are choosing to keep it quiet then as far as I’m concerned, they haven’t caught them. It’s so easy to claim the most outrageous things in all walks of life if you’re not prepared to publish the evidence.

Gary’s 6.5 chub really is a very significant fish that only regular Dove anglers with a penchant for honesty and an accurate set of scales will realise.

The Monk

Reaction score
nice fish Barney well done mate/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Wow!! Well done mate!

To me far bigger than any seven pounder from Throop!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Congratulations on a fish like this from the Dove.

I have had 3's and 4's from the Dove and not too many of them before I get barbled out. This is one river that I could quite easily spend all of my time fishing on. Ballanced tackle Gary, you just can't beat it. I really am in awe of that capture, I wouldn't have thought they went that big in there.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

What a cracking fish and from the Dove too.

Well done that man.

I

Ian Cloke

A fantastic fish, I'm really chuffed for you mate.

"I really can't see a place for bolt rigs and hairs when chubbing, they are simply nowhere near as effective as a standard rig"

I'm in total agreement with the above.

J

John McLaren

Wonderful fish Gary, delighted for you - well photgraphed too!

J K

Reaction score
Well done Gary. Brilliant fish and a lovely river to fish.

honslow

Reaction score
Congratulations Gary, magnificent fish! Top dangling!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Possible river record -should have got two Drennan Weekly awards for that oneGreg
smile_smiley.gif

S

Sean Meeghan

I am VERY jealous!/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Well done Gary

D

Danny Hale

Nice fish indeed Gary. I had a 6.06 Chub from the Dove last March (11th I think)on a lobworm. I will dig out a picci and post it.

Cheers

Danny

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
What a fish! I don't know what stretch you fished there but I'd already been thinking about joining a club withparts of the Dove next season. You may have just sealed my decision!

I like your rig set up too, simple but effective. Something I've been known to forget when I'm tackling up.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

You was like an excited little kid on christmas daywhen you text me mate and that what its all about, nice one.

"but I think it says everything that's good about angling that a 44 year old thick skinned"

A damn good write up but spoilt by lying about ya age /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

When we on the Dove luv?

blankety blank

Reaction score
Cracking fish, great read. Your joy at catching it really shone through. Only fishing can do this!