Accidental pike captures

chav professor

Reaction score
Just imagine how horrific a winter overnighter with The Chav in his shorts can be!
Single hooks for pike is the 'in thing' innit? Chav lands 'em on nylon cos he's just jammy. My best tho not biggest acciental was a 5 pounder that seized a maggot feeder off the surface and hung on long enough to slip a net under it. Which happily allowed the roach to venture out again. I can also remember old match reports where pike were intentionally targeted with twitched lobworms.

Yes Bud, I am jammy:D Nearly made it third time lucky last night..... was retrieving a piece of cheese paste and the water errupted at my feet as ANOTHER pike struck!!! Sadly it was blind and missed the cheese by a country mile... I recast and tryed to replicate the scenario - but it wasn't having it a second time. I should know now that I need to bring surface lures!!!

But I had to put up with catching this just a little later:D:D:D:D
novchub2011004.jpg

BTW - The shorts come out after the nettles have died down.........

rubio

Reaction score
Nettles, and weed in the river looks set to stay til spring at this rate!
Plenty of weed at felixstowe too. Great rafts of long black stuff washing up since the wind veered easterly last night. Wind on tide giving a real good chop and plenty of colour. Think I might chuck a lump of lug and squid off the dirty wall. It'll need alf pound of lead in front of it tho.
Will let ya know if there is a lunker or two about

waggy

Reaction score
I think movement's definitely the key. The few pike I've had on Spam have all taken when I've started to retrieve it whether day or night. I always give my baits a 1-2ft twitch nowadays before retrieving, as a matter of course. Carp, eels and perch seem to fall for that tactic too. I usually braid hair-rig the spam and put a lobworm on the hook, usually a size 6 or 8. Seems to be a deadly combination.

chav professor

Reaction score
I defo agree with the principles of twitching a bait!I do use coctail baits - but have never used that one Wag..... got to be one to try.

My fave coctails have to be cheese paste/luncheon meat or cheese paste and crust.

Dunno if the pike will approve.. they seem to prefer staight luncheon meat:D

philblakey

Reaction score
A couple of guys I know from another forum Phil Blakey and "jammy" Bob Bibby lure fish at night regularly.
Hi Greeny, Hi lads:).
"Jammy" Bob & myself do fish lures a lot at night, there's quite a bit to it once you start like any other form of fishing.
One of the lads mentioned that pike can move about more freely after dark, that's very true.
Lure wise they can detect and accurately hit any lure, the only lure type i've not caught on at night is a fly........i don't fly fish !:D
Caught in all weathers and all months of the year, i do have favourite conditions and times of the year though.
It is very exciting (that's an understatement!), i use a headlamp for unhooking/weighing, i hand land all my pike even at night, the only time i use a net is on waters with high banks where i can't reach the pike. Nets are ok if they're the right type, but not for me unless absolutely necessary, lure trebles and nets don't mix.
Some waters don't fish well after dark, most do. The downside to night fishing is you can't see the fight, which is a shame as there's nothing like seeing a pike in full flight. Watch your back too if you fish inner city waters, we've had a couple of scrapes with 2 legged rats !!!:rolleyes:
But all in all it's good sport. A spinnerbait caught pike below from before Christmas.

mt9deo.jpg

Phil.

agamemnon

Reaction score
the funniest accidental pike capture came to a friend of mine. 3 of us were fishing a local ressy and one of my mates caught a 20lbs 2oz pike after we let it go my other mates alarm went off. he struck and landed the same pike just released, the funny part was his trace had caught up on his lead and formed a lasoo and trapped the pike behind its gills. 2 new pb's within minutes for both of them

eddyfish

Reaction score
Good ole Esox.

Grab then think, its a good mentality to have I reckon.

Caught lots of pike down the years on big pellets the are made of fish after all I suppose. Rolled meat also seems a good method although its always a half disappointment when your "giant barbel" turns into a smallish pike.

I think the best for me has to be the one worm - three fish method. You dig up a worm, catch a minnow, hook a perch on the minnow and then a pike takes the perch. I have had this happen twice now and landed/bundled all three fish into the net.

Needless to say the least happy one of the four of us was the poor minnow. He gets hooked twice and eaten twice all the matter of a few minutes. :(

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Not a capture but

A couple of years backon holiday I was carp fishing a lake with a bright yellow pop up - after an hour with no action I reeled in to check the rig and got a good take - the fish gave an impressive run and then the line went slack

When I'd reel in I found the boilie had been bitten off - only thing I can think is that a pike (there were some in the water) had taken the boilie as I reeled in

I had several jack out that week on spoons and a pike to about 10lb from the area i'd been bitten off at a few days later

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've had a few accidental pike captures over the years whilst fishing for other species. But the one that stands out from the rest was a double figure fish from Topcliffe Weir on the Swale, whilst Barbel fishing. Not only was it one of the prettiest pike I have ever seen, but gave me a terrific tussle in the waters of the weir on standard Barble gear of the day, (late 60s). Seven pound line, and a B. James Avon rod, and the bait was half a link of Wall's pork sausage.

greeny1321

Reaction score
I'm lucky if I can catch the bloody things when I'm trying! I've never caught one by accident as such but on one of the waters I fish regularly theres a 6lber that lives under a tree just beside the only place I can cast along some reeds and I must have caught the bloody thing 6 times whilst trying to tempt a big girl from the reeds.

philblakey

Reaction score
the bait was half a link of Wall's pork sausage.
Derek.
I once read an article about intentionally using pork sausages for pike!:D
I'm not into bait fishing for pike, so it's rare i read bait articles, but i honestly found it fascinating. To me it's an achievement to catch a pike on an alternative bait.
Never caught a pike on a natural bait myself, but i sort of caught on a natural bait recently:D; did it for a laugh with the lads off another forum:).

2cihb8g.jpg

Phil.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

This is the weirdest accidental capture i've had;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vjhU5il7VQ]Pike V Pike - Phil Blakey ~ Amazing Footage on a Savagear 19cm Deviator Wake Bait! - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't count them, but it was something else to see!:)
Phil.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Nice one Phil, once again the rich tapestry of piking. I've said it many times, there are days when, if it moves they'll have it. Sadly, those days are not the norm. :D

chav professor

Reaction score
Your Lordship, perhaps you could design a new lure - perhaps a garabaldi with some treble hooks? Now that would be taking the biscuit!

xenon

Reaction score
once got smashed up by a pike when retrieving a chunk of breadflake. How many points is that worth?

philblakey

Reaction score
Nice one Phil, once again the rich tapestry of piking. I've said it many times, there are days when, if it moves they'll have it. Sadly, those days are not the norm. :D
The afternoon that i tried the carrot i fished for about 2 1/2 hours, i had 9 hits on the carrot, hooked 3 & landed 2, all the pike were small but it doesn't matter how big they are to me......i'm happy to catch any pike:).
I tried a parsnip too just after Christmas on the same canal, never had a touch!
I blamed the failure on my Mrs.........she admitted to buying the parsnips from Aldi !!!:( The carrots were from Morrisons!:)
(Best excuse i could think of !!!:D)
Phil.

chav professor

Reaction score
I can really see why lure fishing is taking off in the UK! having discussed lure fishing with Kieth Edmunds, my target is to catch a chub on a lure. It is such a departure from what I usually do - it is just making that step and practicing.

When we were kids we used to search for mice in bags of animal feed (my Dad had a Mill on the river which manufactured animal feed). We used to chuck the mice into the mill pool and watch chub and pike come up and take them off the surface! never had a lot of joy using surface lures in the day - at night time????? I am sure they take rats, voles and other creatures off the surface! it makes sense really. I am going to trial my foam 'luncheon meat' surface lure and see how it goes....... they seem to smash into anything moving!

Last edited: