Advice Needed

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

well being a decorator by trade and doing some rod restoration myself , i would use paint stripper as thats what i use to strip all my rods. Now the tools ,a small pot of nitromores stripper (very potent) A tub of white spirit or turps, Some very fine wire wool(softest you can get) and a small paint brush, and somme soft cloth for the turps.Now if you work quick you wont hurt the finish of the rod. Take said rod and coat with stripper work fast put plenty on and it should start to bubble up very quickly this means its soft ,so now get to work with the wire wool and gently rub off the white coating (this should slide off easy) then once clean and it needs to come off rightaway ,if some stays on leave it on and get the turps on a cloth and wipe it all over what you've done this will kill the stripper and stop it hurting your rod. If any white is still left on then coat it with stripper again and do the same until its gone.This if you do it right and work fast will leave you with the rod blank untouched. Try always to put stripper only on white areas. You can use rubber gloves if your hands are soft as nitromores might burn a bit but dont worry if it stings a bit just wash your hands in turps or soapy water . hope this helps.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Roger's advice was as follows but on the basis it was tippex.

"1. Scrape it off with a blade such as aStanley knife."

What did I say? People sometimes do not listen to Woody, but sometimes Woody talk much sense.

Now what Chubber say makes sense too. So long as you work fast and do small portions at a time. You'd be surprised at the hardness of resins.

If you do need to re-coat anything Nigel, I'd suggest an epoxy finish. Again, try one whipping or section at a time and just a very light stroke of the stuff, you'd be amazed at
  1. How much it covers and
  2. How it runs all over the place
You have to keep turning the work and keep it level.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Guys all sorted now.I just scraped the lot off with the back of a a kitchen Knife and its restored to its former glory without damage to the finish.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Now it just needs a trip to an exclusive stretch of the Thames for its debut!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hallelujah. hallelujah, hallelujah.

Seems you didn't take any notice of all the tips Nigel. Love the devil may care attitude, was it a blunt kitchen knife?. We need more people like you , just dive in there lad!.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Spiders,I actually looked at a few US websites who take their rod building very seriously indeed and got the suggestion from there.It seems that as long as you do notuse anything too sharp you will be OK otherwise there is a risk you can damage the finish and the fibres underneath.Didn't imagine it would run to 24 posts but it might come in handy for the future if someones in the same boat.