Am I the only one left ?

jcp01

Reaction score
Rufus, I like your term "serious pleasure angling", I think this best describes me and my fishing.

I did not notice that it was meaningful at the time of writing, but yes, it describes me too!

Frothey

Reaction score
Why, I would like to know?

Maybe because he fishes lots of different waters, and can't afford set ups for all of them.

So long as he's enjoying himself, and not upsetting anyone else, who are you to criticise? Going back to another thread going at the moment, it's attitudes like these that smack of elitism and put many off.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I did nearly suggest that S-kippy maybe as well going to the pits along the Lea valley but thought he might of been looking for cleaner air away from the urbanised smog of the 'big smoke'....:D:D:D:D

Out of choice yes but I've long since recognised that if I want to catch a few fish I can't afford to be precious and I'll have to travel. Anyway its 2010 not 1910 so I fancy the lily fringed private estate water available for a guinea a year has long since become a Tescos or part of the M25. If it hasn't then it will be protected by minefields,run by a syndicate you have to be invited to join and costs a grand a year with a 20 year waiting list.

I desperately need to fish somewhere different.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Skippy,

Get your Ar*e into the car one evening this week, and come and have a walk around the lake/pit I am fishing, you got the detail's.

If that doesn't get you drooling about Tench, then nothing will.

I fully intend to. I'll PM or ring you

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I did nearly suggest that S-kippy maybe as well going to the pits along the Lea valley but thought he might of been looking for cleaner air away from the urbanised smog of the 'big smoke'....:D:D:D:D

It's the Lea Valley not SOHO, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D come to think of it, you might think it SOHO when Cakey is walking around with his Ladyboys:D:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Really Ray,Ladyboys?...I've only just finished my supper.....Ladyboys...doesn't bare thinking about....its enough to think about a stronger zip on the bivvy....

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Really Ray,Ladyboys?...I've only just finished my supper.....Ladyboys...doesn't bare thinking about....its enough to think about a stronger zip on the bivvy....

I know what Cakey is like, I have trip wire alarms set at 50 yards all around my bivvy, and I have fitted padlocks also, Gun, Knife, Dynamite and a Tank. Thats just during the day.

I'm not taking any chances..................:wh:D:j

dezza

Reaction score
Maybe because he fishes lots of different waters, and can't afford set ups for all of them.

What, with a BMW car?

All his rods were Harrisons and his reels were the top end of the Shimano Big Pit range.

This little lake which has carp up to just short of 30 lbs would suit a FM Concept Rod and 4000 sized reels loaded with 12 lbs line perfectly.

Frothey

Reaction score
So? I drive a "posh" car and can't justify having more than 1 set of carp rods - I just make sure I but decent kit when I do. What's to say it's not a company car - there are more 3 Series sold than Mondeo's......? Why spend thousands on 3 sets of tackle when you can make do with one - which is far more prudent at the moment?

Besides, 3lb Harrisons aren't necessarily over the top, action is more important as well you know. An FM Concept might be fine for the size of water, but what if he's using large bags? The Method?

dezza

Reaction score
And I used to have a 5 series company car years ago, and I had a range of rods from Gibbinson "Cloopers", (the ultimate distance carp rod in those days) to split cane and glass Mk IVs and Avons.

I have fished for carp at distances up to at least 250 yards I guess (not cast but rowed out by boat) to right under my rod tip. The distance stuff was done in huge artificial impoundments, 30 miles long and if I were to fish such waters today, I would go for 3 lb rods and big pit reels.

But a little ornamental lake dug out by monks in the 15th century? If I owned a split cane Mk IV, that's what I would use.

But the angler concerned chucked all the way across the little lake to fish the margins on the other side! Why on earth he didn't move to the other side and fish under his rod tip I do not know. And such anglers have the cheek to bawl out another angler across the lake for "fishing in my swim". And don't say that this doesn't happen because it has happened to me 3 times in my life.

All I can say is that such antics are selfish in the extreme. But this seems to be the case with a lot of carp anglers these days. They seem to think themselves special for some obscure reason.

Frothey

Reaction score
So because someone has a BMW means they have a lot of disposable income? At one point my childcare bill was close to £1000 a month. Like I said, if he drove a Mondeo would you have made the same observation?

And 3 times in 106 years is hardly something to worry about though is it Ron? I've had far more problems when reservoir trout fishing with people getting too close - both when from the bank with boat anglers casting to the margin I'm wading in, and from the boat when some seem intent on tie up to my boat when the shoal has been found - the way some seem to operate on the ressie's is to wait until someone else does the legwork and then just drift over to them. Probably carp anglers on a day trip.......

dezza

Reaction score
Don't worry Dave, I've also had problems with reservoir fly fishers, in a similar vein, but to be honest they were fly fishing match anglers, who spend ages looking for people catching fish, and then they, as you say, drift over to them.

There are just too many people who are not prepared to spend time and do the groundwork for themselves. Finding fish is part of skillful angling. But worse still are those who jump up behind you, skylining the fish and blurting out the usual:

"As it dan a fir' he mate?"

S-Kippy

Reaction score
"As it dan a fir' he mate?"

What ? Anybody saying that to me would get a very blank look. I dont speak Northern.

Reservoir boat anglers nob me right off at times. I fail to understand the point of paying for a boat when you then fish water you can easily reach from the bank. I once tried to fish fished Eyebrook but couldn't because there was a line of boat all about 20 yards offshore on the upwind bank. Most reservoirs have a specific rule about boats not encroaching on bank anglers but to a man boat anglers appear to think it only applies to other boats...not theirs.

Its just plain bluddy rude.

dezza

Reaction score
Ja , but that's where the fish are, and if you are in a comp - (all fly fishing matchmen call them "comps" for some weird reason), that's where the stockies will be.

Of course it's rude, but you try telling the fly fishing match fraternity. They think they own the water!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
There are just too many people who are not prepared to spend time and do the groundwork for themselves.

Your right there Ron, and we all know most of them, you know most of them, and say how good they are.

Bob Church is one who comes to mind, yet you say he is a good angler, to me, he and many other so called stars do just what your talking about. No groundwork or time, just jump on the bandwagon, fact.

klik2change

Reaction score
"As it dan a fir' he mate?" [Big Ron]

What ? Anybody saying that to me would get a very blank look. I dont speak Northern. [S-Kipper]

That, pal, is suvvern! The insertion of a glo'al stop with the word "thirty" is as southern as you get!

As for trout anglers, Mr Hat, even matchmen, addressing each other in such common tones - even Mr Robert Church - I find myself appalled!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
In my view one of the possible difficulties this site has to get over is the age range of most of the regular posters. It's too high and too narrow.

Geoff, I would not suggest the position is anywhere near critical, but you seem to be in denial to me. I bet I am not alone in thinking it...

Klik, was this addressing me? it seems to have nothing to do with the thread. What have I done now?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
"As it dan a fir' he mate?" [Big Ron]

What ? Anybody saying that to me would get a very blank look. I dont speak Northern. [S-Kipper]

That, pal, is suvvern! The insertion of a glo'al stop with the word "thirty" is as southern as you get!

As for trout anglers, Mr Hat, even matchmen, addressing each other in such common tones - even Mr Robert Church - I find myself appalled!

Suvvern for what pray ? Even in **** Van Dyke cockney its meaningless.

And its SKIPPY not S-KIPPER thank you...pal.

klik2change

Reaction score
Yes Geoff it was addressing you. Very untidy of me. I forgot which thread I was on: consequences of age I suppose

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

Suvvern for what pray ? Even in **** Van Dyke cockney its meaningless

Cockney is meaningless in most most places, London being one of them. Some northern accents use glottal stops in some places - but most say "thirty" for thirty. Some scousers would say "dirty" for thirty but only yer cockneys and other estuary speakers would say fir'y for thirty. No doubt some may disagree with this, but I doubt they will be bothered to comment... I know, it's s-kippy, only a pointless joke, sorry etc....