An interesting problem

Chevin

Reaction score
I went to the lake again this morning and had a couple more of about 4lbs each. Nothing exciting, but it was a lovely morning, though the stench of a long dead cormorant in the reeds was a bit off putting at times.

While I was endeavouring to push the dead bird out with a branch, I noticed some terminal tackle caught up in the reeds. It seems that not all of us see sophisticated tackle as being necessary for carp!

carptackle.jpg

Chevin

Reaction score
I went back to the lake today and made some progress at long last. My first cast resulted in an 11lb koi. Still not a big fish, but at least it's an improvement. It gave a good fight as did the two other smaller fish I caught.

11lbkoi.jpg

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
though the stench of a long dead cormorant in the reeds was a bit off putting at times.

I can't decide if I would be happy about the smell or not considering the result:D

Are cormorants a problem over there?

Chevin

Reaction score
I can't decide if I would be happy about the smell or not considering the result:D

Are cormorants a problem over there?

The dead bird is long gone thank goodness. I think that it was probably a darter or snakes head rather than a cormorant. There are plenty of cormorants here, but the ocean is only a few miles away and that is teeming with the food they are more used to. However, they can be a nuisance in the ocean too, I have had them pick up baits that have been on the bottom in 30 feet of water. Thankfully, they are not the threat to anglers fish as they are in the UK.