Andy's Silver Bream

Reaction score
Paul fish like a 25 yr old but longer??? i know quite a few 25 year old carpers who are prepared to spend allweek out chasing carp, damn you for your ageist attitude/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Silver Breamhaveless than 10 scales lateral line to start of dorsal fin, a mouth that does not extend down and coloured pectoral and pelvic fins.

They don't look like roach x bream hybrids and are easily distinguised from them by an anal fin ray count having amuch higher count (in this fish 23).

Silver Bream are a river species and gow much larger than the present record of 2 lb 2 oz.

I've seen aprogram where what appreared to be a decentsilver bream was called a hybrid. Unfortunatley speciesidentification, accuracy of weighing and handling of landed fish are areoften far below what they should beon TV programs.

S

sash

Some big ones on the Trent too. I've had loads (unweighed to my shame /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif) when barbelling in the 1 to 2lb plus bracket.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I have an old Fish Identification Book from the 80's and it claims they can grow to 4kg, in the UK!

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I agree with what Andy says. Many people call big silver bream hybrids. This includes the matchmen on a local canal where the silver bream do go to over the current record size.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
****y,

Take some good close-up shots including the lateral line and anal fin; It's a whole lot easier when they are loaded on a computer! Then also Andy and I can have a look as well.

Mind you, I've still got pics of several fish that I have yet to identify.

Reaction score
Mark, this threads got me doubting wether picy i posted is a true silver or a hybrid/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

what do you think mate/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif